MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang-7/)
-   -   making a mustang for the strip (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang/682558-making-a-mustang-for-the-strip.html)

moparman14 09-29-2012 08:57 PM

making a mustang for the strip

im thinking of geting a 97 mustang with the v6. im wondering if I can install a carberated 302 and not hook everything up thats in there now. and what all would I have to change with the trans.? will it fit? will I have to fab. anything?

TRexGAWD 09-29-2012 09:08 PM

What do you mean hook everything up?.. Sure you can do it, but you will have to modify a few things here and there, it's not a direct swap that's for sure.. As for trans, well that is all preference.. Have you done a swap of any kind before?

motorman524 09-29-2012 11:07 PM

You'd be much better off getting a 94/95 5.0 SN-95. WAY cheaper in the long run. There is such a long laundry list of thing's you'll have to change, it's not worth the time it takes to list everything.

moparman14 09-30-2012 08:05 PM

TRexGAWD: im talking about no computers, and no fuel injected. just all motor. someone told me the fuel pump would be to much for the carb. but other than that I want to know how far off the mounts would be, would it even fit? or is the ign. system wired threw the computer and if so will I need to buy a big wheel of wire and just wire it how it needs to be for the setup? I never done a swap like this, only swap I ever done was a 305 to a 350 but its the same block so nothing a 5 yr old cant do. but im thinking if I strip it all down and just wire it up like they did in the 80's it would only leave some fab. work right?

motorman524:only reason im thinking of the v6 is thats what somebody is wanting to trade for my f350. and also ill be able to sell it for a little money to throw in the 302. but really how much work do you think it will take for this to happen. its also a auto and im wanting to make it a manual. but as I see it if I dont need any of the lines that are in there now to be hooked up it would just leave making stuff work but im just guessing thats why im on here asking yall.

motorman524 09-30-2012 09:39 PM

Technically, everything would bolt up with no problem. The 3.8 and 5.0 use the same k members, and you can put in any manual you like with little to no fabrication(T-56 being the most fab work). Where you'll have most of you're issues at is with the wiring, unless you're skilled in that area. As far as work, it's going to be very labor intensive. I converted a 4 banger to a 347 and it was a really mean little car, but sourcing every part I needed took a lot of time and even more money. I'm all for engine and/or transmission swaps, but converting an entire car really sucks.

moparman14 10-01-2012 03:53 PM

sweet just needed to know it can be done. well its going to be a while befor I even touch the car but going next weekend to pick up the 302. im going to make another post asking this question if there isnt already one. but what do you think will be the best way to go about the motor build? im thinking bored 30 over stroked ( dont know which stroker kit yet) and blown.. and also will the heads be cheaper to build myself or to go buy some from sumit or where ever?? and feel free to answer on what cam you think is better than the rest, or whats the best holly carb you have used and what not.

UPRSharad 10-02-2012 04:59 PM

Any 79-04 Mustang body with a junkyard 302/351 can easily run 10s with a small shot of nitrous. Just don't overlook the suspension upgrades while you have the engine out.

I had a friend with a 2000 V6 Mustang who put a junkyard 351 with a carburetor in it and around a 100-shot of nitrous. The car ran tens and he beat on the thing weekly with no problems.

www.uprproducts.com

LilRoush 10-02-2012 05:02 PM

94/95 K member is different than the 96-98. Motor mounts changed to keep the V6 in it in '96. To swap in the 302, you'd need the 94/95 K member.
You'll also need everything back to (and including) the rear axle and you'll need a full fuel system pump to carb. You'll want aftermarket springs in the as well - the V6's are different than the GT for weight reasons.

motorman524 10-02-2012 07:48 PM

Yup, he's right on the k-member. My mistake. That's new to me! Didn't know they changed the mounts on the V6 cars after 95.

moparman14 10-04-2012 10:20 PM

im having a little change of mind, im thinking 03 with the 351.. what do yall think?