4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

What headlights do I want?

Old 10-03-2012, 01:27 AM
WhiteSN95Kid

Lightbulb What headlights do I want?

Okay guys, I'm new to the forum and this is my first thread. I really hope there isn't a similar thread, because i'd rather not get blown up about "using the search option first"

Anyway... What I would like to ask you guys is: Should I shoot towards the HID conversion route or just get new bulbs? If you guys have other options, please let me know, i'm open for any and all opinions.

And another note, i've done countless research on HIDs and I realize there are good aspects and bad aspect. Most say to go the retrofit route and just put them in the stock housing, but as you may know, this costs a pretty large sum of money.

What I really want out of this is the best option in terms of seeing more and having a brighter headlight, because my stock bulbs and housing SUCK. I'm all for getting new housing and bulbs, I just want to know which ones I should get.
Thanks!
P.S. I also plan on putting light covers(tint) on my headlights, so the brightness issue is important.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:17 AM
1998Slow 'Stang
3rd Gear Member

I would stay away from HID bulbs just stuck in stock housings. They are extremely annoying and dangerous to other drivers. Either just get a good set of regular bulbs and new housings or do a projector retrofit. I took the bulb/housing route and there is more than enough light to see...
Old 10-03-2012, 10:22 AM
Doyon
3rd Gear Member

Personally I will say go with HID's just stay away from anything over 6000k, it's supposed to look cool blue but it looks more white than anything, it's what I have and i'm very happy.

I have the same set in my dodge ram (I can see everything 5 blocks down, and blind everyone and their grandma), but honestly the whole blinding other drivers in the Stang, doesn't happen. My car sits so low that the only thing I could blind is someone else in a lowered car. The ONLY bad side is that HID's are a bit more finicky.

If you decide you want to go with some thing else, I would go with the Sylvania SilverStar Ultra High Performance. I had those in my Truck before the HID's, while they were I guess you could say brighter... they weren't going to be good enough.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:47 AM
1slow67
ROTM Moderator

5k or 6k HIDs would do good.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:07 AM
Chubstang
5th Gear Member

HID's with projector housings. I had planned on HID's but I didn't realize projector housings were necessary and I had already bought new OEM housings. I have Sylvania Silverstar ZXE's and they're a huge improvement over the econo Sylvania's that were in there but not even close to HID's.
Old 10-03-2012, 02:09 PM
Luke13
2nd Gear Member

I have the stock style tinted headlights off Americanmuscle ... I've used every combination of lighting you can imagine. Currently running a 5000k HID kit from retrosolutions. It was suppose to be the best around, but I'm not satisfied ($100 investment). The ballast and lights plug directly into your stock plug, and receive power from there. This style setup only allows for low beam HID (pointless) and halogen high beams screwed to the side of the HID. from my understanding that's done for legal reasons and the halogen is about as useful as fog lights.

My favorite setup so far, on my other mustang with the same headlights and year model, came off eBay. It's called a bi xenon hid kit and cost me about $60. It uses one headlight plug for high and low beam recognition, then pulls the power thru a central wiring harness. It's more complicated than the low beam only system, and it requires hiding and running more wiring. In the end the "Bi-xenon" kit out performs the low beam only kit, and it gives the other drivers a difference between hi and low beams for reference, so I don't get flashed all the time.
Old 10-03-2012, 03:50 PM
Doyon
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Luke13
I have the stock style tinted headlights off Americanmuscle ... I've used every combination of lighting you can imagine. Currently running a 5000k HID kit from retrosolutions. It was suppose to be the best around, but I'm not satisfied ($100 investment). The ballast and lights plug directly into your stock plug, and receive power from there. This style setup only allows for low beam HID (pointless) and halogen high beams screwed to the side of the HID. from my understanding that's done for legal reasons and the halogen is about as useful as fog lights.

My favorite setup so far, on my other mustang with the same headlights and year model, came off eBay. It's called a bi xenon hid kit and cost me about $60. It uses one headlight plug for high and low beam recognition, then pulls the power thru a central wiring harness. It's more complicated than the low beam only system, and it requires hiding and running more wiring. In the end the "Bi-xenon" kit out performs the low beam only kit, and it gives the other drivers a difference between hi and low beams for reference, so I don't get flashed all the time.
You bought a hi/low beam HID kit for $60 on Ebay? How long have you had it? Any problems? I bought a few HID's off of ebay for $60 for just the low beam, just because with the HID's I didn't need a high beam, but it's always nice to have, but it was also twice the cost.
Old 10-03-2012, 03:57 PM
Luke13
2nd Gear Member

Yeah it was just a random generic hi/low beam kit. I've had it installed on my mustang for about 2 years now, constant daily driver. I haven't had one problem out of the kit-bulbs, ballasts, and wiring harness are holding up fine. Just ensure a good connection to the battery, had some corrosion on my battery terminal and it dimmed the lights. Wish I had it on my other mustang, but was trying to keep the engine bay clutter down with the expensive kit. Found out its worth the clutter.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:24 PM
WhiteSN95Kid

I really appreciate all the tips!
What I currently have in mind as far as ideal setup is a retrofit projector from theretrofitsource.com (unless anyone has a better site). I would prefer to have bi-xenon an was going to shoot for 4300k or 6000k. I did a lot of eBay browsing and they seem to have a number of good deals but I'm not sure how much I can trust them.

Now, say I purchase the retrofit projector. Obviously I'm going to want a new headlight housing. Where do I need to look for a housing best fit for the projector?
Old 10-03-2012, 06:08 PM
Luke13
2nd Gear Member

Are you saying send off the headlights and have them retrofitted, or attempt it yourself?? If you're sending them off id ask the person doing the fit. They may have a preferred headlight to work with, I've read the stock head lights (OEM that came in the car) can't be/difficult to retrofit. I think that's the absolute best way, but extremely expensive for head lights.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What headlights do I want?