4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Why does my coolant smell like exhaust fumes?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 12:01 AM
4.6 wildcat

Default Why does my coolant smell like exhaust fumes?

Hey guys I'm new here and came here for help.
I own a 98 with the 4.6 and have owned it for about a month.
I drive it daily and have to refill the coolant tank often.And the coolant tank smells like exhaust fumes. I'm sure there's no coolant in the oil and it doesn't blow white smoke.But the exhaust pipe's have alot of water dripping and when I rev it up the coolant barfs out of the coolant tank. I have noticed also when it sits for some time the engine misses really bad when first started and clears up within seconds,then if I rev it slow it has a stutter at low rpm's and goes away at higher rpm's.I pulled the plug wires and the #8 cylinder had antifreeze on the boot.Also the fan runs really slow with the temp sensor plugged in, but with it unplugged it runs fast but runs all the time the car is running.

Thanks for any help you can give.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:51 AM
MaxxRPM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 4.6 wildcat
.I pulled the plug wires and the #8 cylinder had antifreeze on the boot
Do some research and find out if someone installed a PI intake on your NPI motor.............Chances are if they did, your intake manifold gasket is leaking.....................(thats the same spot I am having trouble with my PI intake mod).

Last edited by MaxxRPM; 10-22-2012 at 12:58 AM.
Old 10-22-2012, 02:17 AM
Dubwhat
1st Gear Member

I am so happy I have PI heads already. This sounds like a major headache.
Old 10-22-2012, 04:08 AM
99GTvert
is my username.

You may have a bad head gasket. If you have to add coolant constantly and you found some of it on a COP/boot then my guess is it got there from either a cracked intake manifold, bad intake gasket or bad head gasket. It could also just be a bad thermostat gasket.

Originally Posted by Dubwhat
I am so happy I have PI heads already. This sounds like a major headache.
Stupid post.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:37 AM
Dubwhat
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 99GTvert
You may have a bad head gasket. If you have to add coolant constantly and you found some of it on a COP/boot then my guess is it got there from either a cracked intake manifold, bad intake gasket or bad head gasket. It could also just be a bad thermostat gasket.

Stupid post.
Not really. And no need to start a flame war.

If the car is spitting fluid from its res tank when he revs te engine, he has positive pressure in the fluid. One of the simple tell tails of a blown head gasket / bad head is bubbling coolant when the engine is running. You can verify by getting a exhausts gas test kit.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/rep...btitle=inspect
Old 10-22-2012, 09:29 PM
4.6 wildcat

Thanks for joining in guys.I don't know very much about these newer cars most of my previous cars have been the classic Mustangs. I believe the intake has been swapped it has an aluminum crossover on it that the thermostat sits in. The motor is completely dry top to bottom no sign of a coolant leak. The other day however when I found the spark plug well wet I cleaned the well and its still dry after several trips. I checked that today.
I'm thinking that the intake has been leaking before and someone fixed it with another intake and never bothered to clean up the spark plug well. Are you guys saying my intake may still be leaking? Can that cause pressure in the coolant to build up? I hope its not a head gasket but there's no sign of coolant in the oil,no steam out the exhaust,no oil in the coolant either. I did run it for a day with no t-stat and same thing.

Thanks guys for the thoughts on this I will probally do a compression test before I pull something off.
Old 10-23-2012, 01:30 AM
JC316
4th Gear Member

Head gasket is blown. It blew from the compression side into a cooling passage.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:57 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by JC316
Head gasket is blown. It blew from the compression side into a cooling passage.
+1, a leak from the coolant passages into the intake manifold would suck coolant in (manifold vacuum) where it would be ingested and burned; nothing would pass "backwards" into the coolant.

The only way for the coolant tank to "smell like exhaust fumes" is a blown head gasket...
Old 10-23-2012, 12:09 PM
swarthyfellow
3rd Gear Member

i had this problem at one point. It is the intake manifold gasket. No CEL?
Old 10-23-2012, 06:21 PM
MaxxRPM
1st Gear Member

I'm begining to think this might be my problem aswell.....
......Just not as bad as the OP's.

My overflow (radiator cap anyway) was puking so I replaced it with a new one and it's still doing it.............But its not overheating....

Quick Reply: Why does my coolant smell like exhaust fumes?