4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Low Idle

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 01:36 PM
jrp1588
2nd Gear Member

Default Low Idle

I've done some research, and most say a manual 4.6 will idle around 800 rpm after it has warmed up. Mine tends to idle around 600 rpm, and it's just a tad shaky. I've replaced the IAC and cleaned the MAF. What else would be worth looking at? Might be worth noting the previous owner installed an aftermarket TB.
Old 10-25-2012, 03:31 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Check the throttle stop screw preset (here's how), but: disconnect the battery for 5 to 7 minutes before doing so, then let the engine idle for 15 minutes before proceeding with the adjustment.

This will clear the Keep Alive Memory (KAM) and let the PCM attempt to learn new idle air and fuel trims before you proceed. I.e. get to a known starting place...
Old 10-25-2012, 06:45 PM
jrp1588
2nd Gear Member

Nice article, I'll give it a try this weekend. If nothing else it's free, better than throwing parts at it. Any chance that may also have something to do with the car cranking but not starting every now and then? Possibly not getting enough air in at startup sometimes? Probably not, but it would be great to kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

Last edited by jrp1588; 10-25-2012 at 06:47 PM.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:16 AM
jrp1588
2nd Gear Member

I finally got around to piddling with the stop screw, haven't done the full process, but I did open it up a smidge. I haven't allowed it to warm up to see if it helped things, I figure as easy as it was, I'll just nudge it a bit after driving it a few times till I get it where I want it.

One thing I noticed, my stop screw doesn't have a locknut. I imagine this is what allowed it to get out of adjustment in the first place. It's a BBK 70mm, not sure if they came that way or the previous owner removed it for some reason. I guess I need to go to the hardware store and buy some nuts and see what fits.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:53 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

my bbk doesnt have a lock nut either. you shouldnt have to use the throttle screw though. ?The idle should be controlled by a combo of the iac, tps, and ecu. check vacum leaks ad well
Old 11-24-2012, 11:55 AM
jrp1588
2nd Gear Member

IAC has been changed, TPS hasn't been messed with, so I suppose that is possible, and as far as I know the ECU it untouched. I haven't had it tuned, though I suppose the PO could have.

Wouldn't vacuum leaks make it idle higher?
Old 11-24-2012, 11:58 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by uberstang1
my bbk doesnt have a lock nut either. you shouldnt have to use the throttle screw though. ?The idle should be controlled by a combo of the iac, tps, and ecu. check vacum leaks ad well
He's not mucking with it to adjust the idle, but rather adjusting the stop screw preset because the throttle has been sticking closed. And often the stop screw being maladjusted is what causes that--and improperly
controlled idle to boot.

I would put a lock nut on it--most are M5 x 0.8...
Old 11-24-2012, 12:06 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

ahh i just re read the post
Old 11-24-2012, 12:21 PM
jrp1588
2nd Gear Member

Well I spent some more time with it. I've moved the adjustment screw out a good bit. It's opened at least a full ture more than it was before, and it's still idleing exactly how it was before.

I feel like if anything I'm just making it worse. Also I'm chewing up the threads on the screw pretty badly using adjustable pliers to turn it. Is there a better way to turn it?

Edit:cancel that, I gave her another half turn and that put me right around 800rpm idle and eliminated most of the vibration I was experiencing. I think I will pick up a nut to keep it at the proper adjustment though. Does it need to be an actual locknut with the nylon in it or just any old nut? From your picture it just looks like a regular nut.

Last edited by jrp1588; 11-24-2012 at 12:36 PM.
Old 11-24-2012, 12:42 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by jrp1588
Well I spent some more time with it. I've moved the adjustment screw out a good bit. It's opened at least a full ture more than it was before, and it's still idleing exactly how it was before.

I feel like if anything I'm just making it worse. Also I'm chewing up the threads on the screw pretty badly using adjustable pliers to turn it. Is there a better way to turn it?

Edit:cancel that, I gave her another half turn and that put me right around 800rpm idle and eliminated most of the vibration I was experiencing. I think I will pick up a nut to keep it at the proper adjustment though. Does it need to be an actual locknut with the nylon in it or just any old nut? From your picture it just looks like a regular nut.
It should have a screw slot, hex socket, or a couple of flats. Any nut will work.

Did you do the complete adjustment process, using the 0.010" feeler gauge and then tightening the nut 1 turn?

Quick Reply: Low Idle