4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

newb here with 2nd gear grind

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2005, 02:01 AM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

Default newb here with 2nd gear grind

Hello all~
New to the forum, so please don't get upset if I'm not on the money about everything. Been workin on Fords a while and finally got my hands on a 1997 Mustang GT with a 5 speed. 103k miles on it and the only flaw I can find is the 2nd gear grinds when I go to shift fast. Under normal cruising it shifts fine. I've read around on this forum that this is a common Mustang problem and is a sign that the synchro is on the way out. I was just wondering if anyone knows what it SHOULD cost to have it replaced and any other general input. Runs great, handles great, and shifts great other than 2nd. Thanks all

George
Old 09-28-2005, 02:38 AM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

Default RE: newb here with 2nd gear grind

Dan? Lookin at you... you seem to really know your stuff. Just lookin for a ball park to have a synchro replaced basically. Thanks

George
Old 09-28-2005, 03:26 AM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

Give it time, at least a day... You've only waited 24 hours. I had my second gear grind when I was accelerating fast once, was fairly embarassing... I'll drop by the Ford stealership tomorrow and ask them how much it will be to fix this only minor problem at the moment, there's a TSB on it so I'll get reimbursed if I go though with it but I don't think I will... I'll relay the price to you either way if no one else replies.
Old 09-28-2005, 05:07 AM
BBond007
2nd Gear Member

Have you ever replaced the fluid?

It might be a long shot but mine was getting the 2nd to 3rd grind at low rpms.

Replaced the the fluid with mobile 1 synth, and it changes all gears smother, and the grind is gone.

It might be just a temporary fix, but I'll take it.

Old 09-28-2005, 09:47 AM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

Thank you very much guys, I appreciate the input. Sorry if I seemed impatient. My bad, it was midnight I was half out of it. Thank you shadow, if you want to get back to me by email I'm at monkeydude3@cs.com

BBond I'll give that a shot. I've heard putting synthetics in usually quiets down stubborn trans's for a while. I believe they have additives that help the tired synchros work.

George
Old 09-28-2005, 11:21 AM
FWP!
2nd Gear Member

Pennzoil Syncromesh transmission fluid :tup:
Old 09-28-2005, 11:30 AM
4.698GT
4th Gear Member

short throw shifter, mgw baby
Old 09-28-2005, 12:08 PM
czwalga00gt
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 4.698GT

short throw shifter, mgw baby

Thats not going to help a syncro grind....
Old 09-28-2005, 03:46 PM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FWP!

Pennzoil Syncromesh transmission fluid :tup:

So this stuff helps with grinding gears? How much is it and how much should I buy (and put in)

thank you

George
Old 09-28-2005, 04:20 PM
FWP!
2nd Gear Member

The stuff is a god-send. I have a Probe V6, the trans was notchy and wasn't shifting that great even after I switch the Mobil 1 synthetic. About 3 months ago I put in the Syncromesh, immediately I noticed a difference, but after about two weeks, that's when I could tell there was a HUGE difference in the way the transmission felt. You get in my car now and it takes one finger to row through the gears, even high-rev shifting is TONS better. I've never felt a transmission fluid make this big of a difference. I've tried synthetic gear oils, synthetic ATF fluid, regular ATF fluid, thinner and heavier gear oils, Royal Purple, Red Line, different kinds of Red Line, and Amsoil. Nothing works like this stuff.

My brother has a '02 ZX2, he had a very problem with the transmission grinding going into 3rd gear, so did my mom's '97 Probe GT, we put fluid in their transmissions, they don't grind at all anymore and all the gears are easier to engage. They love it as much as I do.

GM originally created it to be used in the 5 speed transmissions, but if you go to a GM dealer it's going to cost you $32/quart. It is meant to go in manual gear boxes that use "yellow metals" meaning bronze syncros like most transmission use today. But instead of paying $32/quart I go to autozone and it's in those tall round bottles that gear fluid comes in, it says Pennzoil Syncromesh on it, 'bout $4/quart. I put it in my Mustang but haven't had a chance to drive it yet with it in, but I'm expecting a nice change in the way it shifts.

Quick Reply: newb here with 2nd gear grind