4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

OEM motor mounts vs Energy Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 02:05 AM
Duncaan

Default OEM motor mounts vs Energy Suspension

Hey guys, Im about to install new motor mounts and trany mount in my 1998GT. while I have the engine lifted Im going to install long tube headers at the same time. I have been looking at OEM mounts and Energy Suspension mounts. The Energy Suspension say they have a lower profile, my concern is will that leave less room for the already tight clearance with long tubes? Will it be better to replace with OEM? I have 1 other question to run pass ya guys, i have 4.10 gears installed and my speedo is off. I have been looking for the correct replacment gear to fix it but i cant find anything. The only thing i can find is a electronic box that I set. Is that my only choice?
Old 10-23-2012, 08:47 AM
pfc_gomez
1st Gear Member

Bama SF3/X3 Power Flash Tuner w/ 3 Free Custom Tunes (96-98 GT) from americanmuscle. com will fix the speedo problem plus help you tune your engine for other mods like the long tube headers.

Last edited by pfc_gomez; 10-23-2012 at 08:56 AM.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:42 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

The OP has a '98, the only way to correct the speedometer is to use the correct drive gear (I believe Steeda has what you need), or a device such as the Dallas SpeedCal, SpeedoDRD, SpeedHealer, etc...

As to motor mounts, I do not know the dimensions of the stock vs. Energy Suspension however with regard to NVH the ES polyurethane mounts = more. Sometimes, for some people, too much more...
Old 10-23-2012, 11:03 PM
wifes pony
1st Gear Member

there is no doubt, that cliffy is the man to heed advice from... and just to prove it, i'm going to totally agree with him, on the nvh, ive had both, if youre a serious road racer, you'll probably like the feel of the urethanes. anything less, hang with the oem's. they're designed that way, for a reason.
Old 10-31-2012, 12:58 AM
Duncaan

alright thanks for the info guys, but I have a few more questions now lol. will autozone/napa engine mounts work well or should i spend the extra 100$ on them from ford. My car is lowered about 1.5in. will i have a problem with long tubes hitting the ground? other then low clearences like speed bumps and things of that sort.
Old 10-31-2012, 03:54 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by Duncaan
alright thanks for the info guys, but I have a few more questions now lol. will autozone/napa engine mounts work well or should i spend the extra 100$ on them from ford. My car is lowered about 1.5in. will i have a problem with long tubes hitting the ground? other then low clearences like speed bumps and things of that sort.
The "Autozone/NAPA" parts are made by the same companies that supply the automakers--there are not really any aftermarket manufacturers for stuff like that, just plain ol' auto-industry suppliers that make them for distributors.

Rock Auto has mounts from DEA (a longtime OEM parts maker) for $33 each:

Last edited by cliffyk; 10-31-2012 at 11:32 AM.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:03 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Originally Posted by cliffyk
The "Autozone/NAPA" parts are made by the same companies that supply they automakers--there are not really any aftermarket manufacturers for stuff like that, just plain ol' auto-industry suppliers that make them for distributors.

Rock Auto has mounts from DEA (a longtime OEM parts maker) for $33 each:

+1, this is almost like the ford racing/motive debate.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:33 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by uberstang1
+1, this is almost like the ford racing/motive debate.
Yeah, what would Italians know about making performance vehicles?
Old 10-31-2012, 11:14 PM
Duncaan

Thats a great place! im going to get my engine mounts and tranny mount. i was trying to find new o2 sensors. but they have so many. which one do i need for the long tubes. i have new o2's for my H-pipe already.
Old 11-01-2012, 07:45 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

The four O² sensors on our cars are the same other then the location of the indexing "key" in the connectors.

The indexing key can be cut off if needed to plug a sensor into a connector other than its own--electrically the sensors are identical.

You will likely need wiring extensions for the front sensors as the long tube headers will move them further toward the rear. These can be bought as plug 'n play with connectors, or just cut and splice extension wires.

The tune will need to be altered for the long tubes also. A table named O² Transport Delay defines the time (in seconds) that the PCM expects to see changes it makes in the AFR reported by the O² sensors, at various loads and engine speeds. It looks like this:

The highlighted values are those typically used for LT headers, about 14% longer than the stock values. Not making this change will cause the PCM to report O² sensor slow response trouble codes and mess up engine control in closed-loop mode.

Quick Reply: OEM motor mounts vs Energy Suspension