4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Quick question for 99-04 GT auto trans guys

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 12:36 PM
Dubwhat
1st Gear Member

Why not just disae o/d? Don't think you need it driving around town I had to do this in a 95 drop top I had. It would hit o/d. Around 35mph and it'd chug like mad. Ran fine with o/d turned off
Old 11-12-2012, 12:25 AM
NewEdgeStang00
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by rygi23
dowhshifting back out of OD then going back into OD would increase wear. I'd say delaying the shift into OD by just easing into the gas more in 3rd gear would be easier on your tranny. The vid does sound like an exhaust leak. Stock exhaust?
o/r h mac prochamber and super 40 series american thunder. the noise started coming when i first put 4.10 gears in, but I had forgotten that I put a catback flowmaster american thunder in. So it may be the exhaust. I've resorted to putting 3.27s back in since there was so many problems getting it tuned correctly.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:27 AM
NewEdgeStang00
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dubwhat
Why not just disae o/d? Don't think you need it driving around town I had to do this in a 95 drop top I had. It would hit o/d. Around 35mph and it'd chug like mad. Ran fine with o/d turned off
Would there be any increase of wear on the trans if I choose to leave o/d off until I'm getting on the highway? I would hope that if I use it appropriately that I won't end up making things worse. Past experience has shown me that when I start messing with electrical functions, things go bad quickly. But that's my mistake for letting the wife talk me out of getting a manual...
Old 11-12-2012, 04:52 PM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by NewEdgeStang00
Would there be any increase of wear on the trans if I choose to leave o/d off until I'm getting on the highway? I would hope that if I use it appropriately that I won't end up making things worse. Past experience has shown me that when I start messing with electrical functions, things go bad quickly. But that's my mistake for letting the wife talk me out of getting a manual...
You should be fine only running O/D on the highway for the meantime. Going into O/D only locks the torque converter, which is normally unlocked for the first 3 gears anyways.

Either way, it sounds more of a mechanical transmission issue by your description. The torque converter doesn't seem like it wants to completely lock at O/D. This is what could throw your rpms off as well.

Hope this helps!

Shane
Old 11-12-2012, 05:42 PM
rygi23
4th Gear Member

o/r h mac prochamber and super 40 series american thunder. the noise started coming when i first put 4.10 gears in, but I had forgotten that I put a catback flowmaster american thunder in. So it may be the exhaust. I've resorted to putting 3.27s back in since there was so many problems getting it tuned correctly.
did you install the metal exhaust gasket/spacer on the pass. side between the manifold and the h-pipe? Nothing really hurting if leaving OD off until you get up to speed, but not necessary to leave it off until real hwy speeds. Just turn it on 45/50 or so if your not trying to accelerate hard. OD isn't just a converter lock-up. You should feel the converter lock-up with the OD turned off even in 3rd gear under easy acceleration, the rpms will drop a few hundred as if it's going into another gear.
Old 11-13-2012, 02:15 AM
NewEdgeStang00
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by rygi23
did you install the metal exhaust gasket/spacer on the pass. side between the manifold and the h-pipe? Nothing really hurting if leaving OD off until you get up to speed, but not necessary to leave it off until real hwy speeds. Just turn it on 45/50 or so if your not trying to accelerate hard. OD isn't just a converter lock-up. You should feel the converter lock-up with the OD turned off even in 3rd gear under easy acceleration, the rpms will drop a few hundred as if it's going into another gear.
Yeah I installed the gasket for the passenger side plus the extra tube for the driver's side flange. But I still believe I'm getting that sound from the driver's side header-midpipe connection.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:01 AM
02GTowner
1st Gear Member

Mine is around 1800 rpm at 65 mph. I have heard there are some things we can do to our trans to help them out (trans cooler, fluid, change, shift kits, reprogram etc.) but I havent tried any of them yet.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:53 AM
Dubwhat
1st Gear Member

Naw, like it's been said by a few people, its actually best that you don't use O/D in normal driving. You may see a slight loss in your mpg, but it'll be better for you in the long run. Save the transmission until you can afford to get a new one.

Whens the last time the fluid was changed or a service done on that tranny?
Old 11-14-2012, 01:04 PM
NewEdgeStang00
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dubwhat
Naw, like it's been said by a few people, its actually best that you don't use O/D in normal driving. You may see a slight loss in your mpg, but it'll be better for you in the long run. Save the transmission until you can afford to get a new one.

Whens the last time the fluid was changed or a service done on that tranny?
Last time I've changed fluid was 3 months ago
Old 11-14-2012, 01:05 PM
NewEdgeStang00
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 02GTowner
Mine is around 1800 rpm at 65 mph. I have heard there are some things we can do to our trans to help them out (trans cooler, fluid, change, shift kits, reprogram etc.) but I havent tried any of them yet.
Yeah see that's exactly what I thought, that I used to do 1800 at 65mph because I don't remember my needle touching 2k rpm when I was going 65. But currently I'm doing 2k rpm at 65mph so I wonder if the 3.27 gears I got from Ford Racing have different dimensions than the stock 3.27? Which would seem strange

Quick Reply: Quick question for 99-04 GT auto trans guys