4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Choosing tranny!!

Old 12-01-2012, 08:43 PM
01C0bra

Default Choosing tranny!!

I have a 2001 cobra and my 3rd gear is out. I need a new/rebuilt tranny but are undecided on which one to get. It came with a TR3650 but not sure if any other ones will fit? Any sugggestions? thanks
Old 12-02-2012, 09:52 AM
rygi23
4th Gear Member

I don't claim to be an expert on the whole tranny swap thing but I've talked to many people over the last 5 yrs. or so, both at the track and online, that have had swaps using other trannies in their new edge stangs. From what I understand there is a little changing around that goes on but it's nothing rocket science. T-56 and TKO are the obvious choice if you go with a different trans but an upgraded 3650 isn't a bad idea either, especially if you don't want to have to deal with the gearing change of the others. You may want to give American Powertrain a call. I talked to them a few years ago when the 3650 went south in my Mach and they were good people to deal with. Ofcourse, you could just have a new syncro put in your current trans. and just make sure there's no powershifting, that's the route I went and it held up fine after that. Good luck.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:44 AM
Seabee1993
2nd Gear Member

Monster transmissions is another company if you want to give them a look online.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:02 PM
DRAGUL
5th Gear Member

I saw in one of your other posts you are going to 4.10 gears. Since I have the 4.10's in my 01 if I have to rebuild / change transmissions, I would look into to see if there is a option to go to a higher 5th gear ratio. Thus bringing down the rpm's on the highway.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:11 PM
01C0bra

Originally Posted by DRAGUL
I saw in one of your other posts you are going to 4.10 gears. Since I have the 4.10's in my 01 if I have to rebuild / change transmissions, I would look into to see if there is a option to go to a higher 5th gear ratio. Thus bringing down the rpm's on the highway.
What exactly do I need to to to my 01 when putting in 4.10's?
Old 12-03-2012, 04:03 PM
DRAGUL
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 01C0bra
What exactly do I need to to to my 01 when putting in 4.10's?
My car already had 4.10's in it when I bought it. I can not tell you what's needed, except the gears of course. I have however have read other people's posts, where if not done properly they will make noise. I wish though the transmission had a higher 5th gear ratio, so the rpm's were not so high on the highway. Just be aware when you do get them installed, 1st gear is pretty much useless.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:43 PM
sn95_331_GT_ yellow
5th Gear Member

My car already had 4.10's in it when I bought it. I can not tell you what's needed, except the gears of course. I have however have read other people's posts, where if not done properly they will make noise. I wish though the transmission had a higher 5th gear ratio, so the rpm's were not so high on the highway. Just be aware when you do get them installed, 1st gear is pretty much useless.
false, i barely get wheelspin in 1st gear with mine and it really help the car move out a lot better
Old 12-03-2012, 09:01 PM
DRAGUL
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by sn95_331_GT_ yellow
false, i barely get wheelspin in 1st gear with mine and it really help the car move out a lot better
Who said anything about wheel spin. I am saying 1st gear is useless because with the lower gears you are out of first gear right away driving normally starting off. But I agree 4.10's are fun. Now if only spring would come and no more of that liquid acid they put on the roads.

Last edited by DRAGUL; 12-03-2012 at 09:04 PM.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:16 PM
sn95_331_GT_ yellow
5th Gear Member

Who said anything about wheel spin. I am saying 1st gear is useless because with the lower gears you are out of first gear right away driving normally starting off. But I agree 4.10's are fun. Now if only spring would come and no more of that liquid acid they put on the roads.
i have no idea why everyone says this, "oh first gear is useless with 4.10's, itll be sooooo short)...

no it isnt, the effect of the gears goes up exponentially as your speed increases. switching from 3.27's to 4.10 will literally cut MAYBE 3mph off of 1st gear, maybe 8 off 2nd and so on...

so everyone bitches about the car being able to accelerate faster and easier is basically what it boils down to i guess...

also seems to be the same group of guys that whine about losing mileage if they switch to 4.10's as well...

you know what, you dont wanna go fast and get good gas mileage? im sure toyota has plenty of hybrids they would sell you, but oh wait make sure its a Prius because the other ones actually go somewhere when you hit the gas...

but with that being said, going with 4.10's is an INSANELY fun street car
Old 12-04-2012, 06:48 AM
DRAGUL
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by sn95_331_GT_ yellow
i have no idea why everyone says this, "oh first gear is useless with 4.10's, itll be sooooo short)...

no it isnt, the effect of the gears goes up exponentially as your speed increases. switching from 3.27's to 4.10 will literally cut MAYBE 3mph off of 1st gear, maybe 8 off 2nd and so on...

so everyone bitches about the car being able to accelerate faster and easier is basically what it boils down to i guess...

also seems to be the same group of guys that whine about losing mileage if they switch to 4.10's as well...

you know what, you dont wanna go fast and get good gas mileage? im sure toyota has plenty of hybrids they would sell you, but oh wait make sure its a Prius because the other ones actually go somewhere when you hit the gas...

but with that being said, going with 4.10's is an INSANELY fun street car
I am going to stop hijacking op's post with this. I agree the gears are fun, and you accelerate faster, but 1st gear seems real short. (My opinion). On the highway it feels the car should have another gear. (My opinion). As for the whining about gas mileage, who is whining here? Gotta pay to play. But unlike you I do not have the option to run 87, nor do I care. I would care however if I had to daily drive it with Connecticuts gas prices. I bought my car to have fun in. If I want better gas mileage I can drive my 05.

Last edited by DRAGUL; 12-04-2012 at 06:51 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Choosing tranny!!