4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Hear a knocking??

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 09:17 PM
01C0bra

Default Hear a knocking??

Hey there guys, on my way back to work, I was at a stop light and for the first time I heard a knocking sound, not sure if it came from thw engine but as soon as I released the clutch all the way, it came back. It kept doing this every time I would let go of the clutch, (being completely stopped). Anyone know what this could be?
I'm hoping it's coming from my tranny since my 3rd gear grinds.
There is a spec stage 2 clutch in it that was recently put in less than 3k miles ago too.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:22 AM
JuicetheRipper

I had this very same problem. I thought it was the trans to but my Mechanic stated it was the beginning of a rod knock. It seem to be a common problem with the 4.6L.

I can hear it best when the clutch is released and I'm driving. With it just idling you wouldn't think anything of the very faint knocking noise.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:01 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Rod knocks are FAR from commone with 4.6s, if this noise is prevelant with clutch pedal movements chances are its a throw out bearing, flywheel, or clutch issue. Also check the dampner, trans, and motor mounts.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:10 AM
JuicetheRipper

Well I'm not sure what's really wrong with my care. I have had some mustang mech looks at it and that's the word I got. Looking on the internet I have found many issues that are similar to mine. But I'm willing to get all the help I can.

You know I hear a slit ticking or knocking when the engine is idling but it is very faint. The noise comes to life when I'm driving the car with the clutch released. It's funny tho that the noise will disappear sometimes and isn't very consistent with the rpms of the motor.

I thought it was the trans because that is the only thing that hasn't been replaced.

I have had some pretty old throw bearing issues as well. For example the throw out bearing spun in the clutch fork (not sure if that's the right name) and would smash itself into the clutch grinding it to nothing. These were Autozone bearing tho, I have since replaced the fork and throw out bearing with a ford racing one.

Motor mounts are good

What is a dampner?

The car doesn't seem to lack in power at all. I just don't want to break it.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:16 PM
01C0bra

It only does it sometimes too.
They've told me that it's the tranny since my 3rd gear grinds, not sure if it's doing that because of the clutch It recently had put it but it does grind 3rd.
I also hear a loud knock every time I go in to gear from neutral to 1st. It does this every time I give it a hard acceleration on the gear ( I accelerate hard, I hear a popping noise, the cars stalls for about half a second, then goes for another half a second, then stalls for another second, then goes.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:43 PM
JuicetheRipper

I think the knocking might be trans mounts or suspension issues. I'm not sure I feel that I need a second opinion about my ride as well. I have my suspicion that its the throwout bearing.