4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Best riding shocks/struts for lowered 02 gt vert?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 04:29 PM
luke1333
2nd Gear Member

bilstiens ordered....
Old 01-16-2013, 04:37 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by luke1333
bilstiens ordered....
I thought you wanted a "better riding car"?
Old 01-16-2013, 08:39 PM
luke1333
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk
I thought you wanted a "better riding car"?
I do and better handling car. the stuff is due for an upgrade in that department. the ride is poor right now. car can't keep up with the spring rate of the lowering springs. the bilsteins won't make it ride and handle?
Old 01-17-2013, 06:14 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

I do and better handling car. the stuff is due for an upgrade in that department. the ride is poor right now. car can't keep up with the spring rate of the lowering springs. the bilsteins won't make it ride and handle?
Though "good ride" is a very subjective thing, part and parcel of using lowering springs is that you also reduce suspension travel; meaning that those springs must have a higher compression rate and that the shock absorbers (struts on our modified MacPherson front-ends) must be stiffer so as to better control jounce and rebound. This creates a more harsh "ride", and there is no way around that.

It is why Ford makes Mustangs look like monster trucks from the factory; the general motoring public are willing to trade off decent handling for a cushy ride. The high stance and long suspension travel allows for use of less stiff shocks = "better ride".

In my experience Bilsteins are excellent shock absorbers, I ran them on my lowered Miatas--which my father would not ride in because he has had two spinal fusions and can only move because of cortisone injections--"rides like a buckboard" he would say, while I thought it was great and stuck to the road as though it was on rails.

So at the bottom line it all depends on your definition of "good ride". My car, lowered 1-1/2" and running the Gabriel Ultras, is rather jarring at high speeds over sharp bumps (like construction zone pavement changes) with Bilsteins it would really wake you up...
Old 01-17-2013, 03:05 PM
luke1333
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk
Though "good ride" is a very subjective thing, part and parcel of using lowering springs is that you also reduce suspension travel; meaning that those springs must have a higher compression rate and that the shock absorbers (struts on our modified MacPherson front-ends) must be stiffer so as to better control jounce and rebound. This creates a more harsh "ride", and there is no way around that.

It is why Ford makes Mustangs look like monster trucks from the factory; the general motoring public are willing to trade off decent handling for a cushy ride. The high stance and long suspension travel allows for use of less stiff shocks = "better ride".

In my experience Bilsteins are excellent shock absorbers, I ran them on my lowered Miatas--which my father would not ride in because he has had two spinal fusions and can only move because of cortisone injections--"rides like a buckboard" he would say, while I thought it was great and stuck to the road as though it was on rails.

So at the bottom line it all depends on your definition of "good ride". My car, lowered 1-1/2" and running the Gabriel Ultras, is rather jarring at high speeds over sharp bumps (like construction zone pavement changes) with Bilsteins it would really wake you up...
so you saying bilsteins are worse then gabriel ultras or better? and i get the longer the shock/strut is allows it to be more forgiving. Bilstiens can keep up better with lowered springs instead of stock struts/shocks.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:34 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

so you saying bilsteins are worse then gabriel ultras or better? and i get the longer the shock/strut is allows it to be more forgiving. Bilstiens can keep up better with lowered springs instead of stock struts/shocks.
Define "worse". They will provide a more harsh ride then the Gabriel Ultras--whether that is better or worse is up to you.

I don't know what you mean by "the longer the shock/strut is allows it to be more forgiving", I never said anything about the length of the shocks/struts?

"Bilstiens can keep up better with lowered springs instead of stock struts/shocks", so can the Gabriels. The Bilsteins will handle very rough roads better than the Gabriels, at the expense of a more harsh ride on regular run-of-the-mill roadways...
Old 01-17-2013, 09:38 PM
bullitt 736

You made the correct choice.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:07 PM
luke1333
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by bullitt 736
You made the correct choice.
by getting bilstiens?

also got steeda x2 ball joints and bumpsteer in today and also got some j&m lca in that are ride height adjustable. uprshard is probably going to kill me LOL
Old 01-22-2013, 07:00 PM
bullitt 736

Bilsteins are excellent. You really don't need the Steeda ball joints and bump steer kit though.

You should read thru the instructions on how to set the bump steer kit on MM's website before proceeding.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:40 PM
luke1333
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by bullitt 736
Bilsteins are excellent. You really don't need the Steeda ball joints and bump steer kit though.

You should read thru the instructions on how to set the bump steer kit on MM's website before proceeding.
while I agree I probably don't need them at my low mileage I do have a couple control arm bushings bad or going bad so the control arms are going to be out anyways so might as well press in new ball joints and match that up with a bump steer. agree?

& been reading lots of instructions. you ever put them on?

Quick Reply: Best riding shocks/struts for lowered 02 gt vert?