4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

longtubes vs emissions test..

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 02:00 PM
xx10Gt
4th Gear Member

Default longtubes vs emissions test..

i know this has been beat to death probably but ive done a search and couldnt find an exact answer to my question. anyways, after cosmetic enhancements i will be doing mods: gears (3.73s/4.10s, undecided), blower cams (vhs stage 2), a bama tune (until i get a dyno tune for the cams which probably will be last), and full exhaust (thinking about bbk (or slp?) long tubes and a bbk (or slp?) catted x with a borla atak cat back.

Now ill get to my question, being in NY state i have to pass the sniff test and was wondering is it possible to pass emissions with long tubes if i keep a high flow cat on? has anyone done it?

Im pretty sure it also depends on the tune, am i correct? getting very close to pulling the trigger but dont know if i would have to go shorty or lt, but would like to go LT for the obvious reasons. Any input would help, thanks everybody and have a merry x-mas!
Old 12-20-2012, 02:09 PM
school boy
5th Gear Member

you will havee a bigger problem passing emissions with the cams. im sure you can pass emissions with the right mid pipe, but which one im not sure. we have no emissions in ky so an offroad h is on mine witth long tubes. might try over at corral or svt, im sure someone thhere will chime in if no one here does
Old 12-20-2012, 02:10 PM
xx10Gt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by school boy
you will havee a bigger problem passing emissions with the cams. im sure you can pass emissions with the right mid pipe, but which one im not sure. we have no emissions in ky so an offroad h is on mine witth long tubes. might try over at corral or svt, im sure someone thhere will chime in if no one here does
damn i thought the cams would be the least of my worries. I wish i could have someone tell me a great sounding setup with great performance that is gauranteed to pass....
Old 12-20-2012, 02:43 PM
school boy
5th Gear Member

the whole thing with long tubes is visual inspection, if you have that. a stage 1 cam like a comp 262, might pass inspection if tuned right.
Old 12-20-2012, 02:45 PM
xx10Gt
4th Gear Member

the whole thing with long tubes is visual inspection, if you have that. a stage 1 cam like a comp 262, might pass inspection if tuned right.
i have to pass the sniff test too here in NY
Old 12-20-2012, 07:46 PM
school boy
5th Gear Member

you should be able to pass the sniff test with the right mid pipe.
Old 12-20-2012, 07:50 PM
xx10Gt
4th Gear Member

you should be able to pass the sniff test with the right mid pipe.
thats what im thinking but ive also heard people failing just because of the long tubes and the tune. that true?
Old 12-20-2012, 08:06 PM
Matt's 95 Stang
Resident Ginger

Living in Cali I feel your pain OP. I believe NY has about the same laws when it comes to emissions; if that is true NO long tubes will pass. You will fail the visual as nobody makes LT's with the correct sticker to pass (here in Cali we call it a CARB sticker). Sniff test, with the right mid pipe should pass. Good luck!

Matthew
Old 12-20-2012, 10:14 PM
xx10Gt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Matt's 95 Stang
Living in Cali I feel your pain OP. I believe NY has about the same laws when it comes to emissions; if that is true NO long tubes will pass. You will fail the visual as nobody makes LT's with the correct sticker to pass (here in Cali we call it a CARB sticker). Sniff test, with the right mid pipe should pass. Good luck!

Matthew
thanks man, looks like ill have to run shorty then i guess. damn that kind of suck
Old 12-20-2012, 10:16 PM
school boy
5th Gear Member

its all in the tune, some pass and others will not depending on tuner. you could have your tuner build two tunes for you. 1 for emissions testing and another for performance. load the first tune in for the testing every year and once you pass, load the performance tune in.
first off, find out if there is a visual test you have to pass first. if so, long tubes WILL FAIL. and dont buy shorties, theres only a 0-5 rwhp gain. hell, the long tubes are only 10-15 rwhp gain

Quick Reply: longtubes vs emissions test..