4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Anyone made a stock GT hood scoop functional???

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 01:22 AM
EthanBarnard
1st Gear Member

Default Anyone made a stock GT hood scoop functional???

When I first got my 2002 GT i thought the scoops were real. It was a let down that i was a little pissed off about, why put it there and make it look bad *** but not make it functional!??? My question is if anyones cut under the hood and drilled out the honey comb plastic cover to make the hood scoop actually functional and to push air into the engine...

I feel like at high speeds it would just catch too much drag and rip off the scoop? Anyone done it yet?!
Old 01-17-2013, 01:59 AM
EthanBarnard
1st Gear Member

Oh yeah, and does anyone think itll actually cool the engine at all or be worth it?
Old 01-17-2013, 04:54 AM
ilmor
3rd Gear Member

Opening it up "might" reduce underhood temps a little, but would also expose your engine to more weather elements. Louvers, such as those on a 2013 GT, make much more sense for todays cars.

Opening your scoop would do nothing to "push more air" into the engine, since that is restricted by your air filter, intake tube, throttle body and intake manifold. The only way to push more air in is with a supercharger or turbocharger. The engine can possibly SUCK more air in if the other above-mentioned items are improved.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:48 AM
Stevo86
3rd Gear Member

I did it to my '04 v6 before getting the current sled. It's super easy if you're careful and it GREATLY reduced intake manifold temp. Before I couldn't think about touching the intake after running it, afterwards it was warm but nowhere near hot.

That was about it. I don't know if it actually made more power or not, if so I didn't feel much of it.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:25 PM
2001Supercharged GT
1st Gear Member

Cutting it open would reduce under hood temp. But there would be no horsepower gain since your air filter is by the front of the car not under the scoop.
A.M. does make a functional hood scoop called a shaker system
http://www.americanmuscle.com/shaker-hood-kit.html
Old 01-17-2013, 12:36 PM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

I love these kind of threads. It is always fun to read how people always post they got gains from this mod . Thank you for the smiles please keep the good idea comments coming on this subject
Old 01-17-2013, 12:40 PM
EthanBarnard
1st Gear Member

HAHAHA i never thought it would gain HP guys, im not an idiot! I didnt mean more air into the combustion chambers i meant more air flowing over the block of the engine to keep it cooler and to vent the hot air out more effectively! aahaha sorry for confusion
Old 01-17-2013, 12:48 PM
Mojoem4n

Originally Posted by EthanBarnard
HAHAHA i never thought it would gain HP guys, im not an idiot! I didnt mean more air into the combustion chambers i meant more air flowing over the block of the engine to keep it cooler and to vent the hot air out more effectively! aahaha sorry for confusion

check out my ride

the turbo wing got me atleast 150hp as the increased down force puts more wheel to the ground,
rear tail lights +30hp a piece,
total body mods make it more aerodynamic increasing hp by over 400

total = atleast 750HP

i am aiming for over 1000 with the open scoop mod

Last edited by Mojoem4n; 01-17-2013 at 12:53 PM.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:50 PM
EthanBarnard
1st Gear Member

BAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAA Dang man, 750HP, not bad for body mods
Old 01-17-2013, 01:40 PM
2001Supercharged GT
1st Gear Member

I'm not saying I got horsepower from this mod I don't even have it. You could cut it open and drill it out. It's your car do what ever you want. Post another thread on how hard it was and how it turned out.

Quick Reply: Anyone made a stock GT hood scoop functional???