4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Where to start with bolt-ons...

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 06:44 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by Dominasian
Clyffyk, I didnt quite get the injector part. If i would want to switch from orange 19lb to Pink 21lb or even Cobra 24lb, will i need a tune or not ? If yes, will a diablosport preset tunes will do the job ?
You do not absolutely have to retune to switch from the 19s to the 21a (Ford didn't when they made the change), however the engine will run quite rich at higher loads and WOT with the 21s and that will cost some power.

With the 24 lb/h injectors you will definitely have to retune. I have no idea whether a DiabloSport handheld supports this--I suspect not...
Old 05-06-2013, 06:44 PM
FrostByte
5th Gear Member

U will need a custom tune.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:09 AM
jdmeaux1952

Clyffyk, I didnt quite get the injector part. If i would want to switch from orange 19lb to Pink 21lb or even Cobra 24lb, will i need a tune or not ? If yes, will a diablosport preset tunes will do the job ?
Ford designs the injectors to work at about 90% of their duty cycle. With a Naturally Aspired engine (NA), by changing one step up on injectors (19# to 21 #) the injectors do not work so hard to keep the fuel flowing. A tune will help to increase the efficiency of the injectors over the factory tune.

Do not forget that the factory tune is a compromise between power and emissions. An aftermarket tune will liven up the engine with a minor increase in timing and have the injectors working more efficient within their duty cycle.

When you start adding power adders (SC or turbo), you will need lots more fuel. That is when you get to go have your vehicle dyno-tuned for maximum horsepower (which is the mistake most people make). Power adders need lots more fuel to make their power, so it is not unusual to see a SC engine running 82Lb injectors.

If you are looking for a little more hp, sure change your injectors up one step and put a tune on the engine. You will like the results.

Last edited by jdmeaux1952; 05-07-2013 at 07:15 AM.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:05 PM
Dominasian
1st Gear Member

I asked because it was kinda unclearn to me in the original post, now its makes sense, i knew it, just wasn't sure on this duty cycle thingy. I had a turboed car, but its was different than a mustang. I was doing all tuning my self because the ECU let me do that. Fuel trims, Combined trims at closed and open loops, fuel graphs and many more, but i guess with ford its all much simplier, just go to a dyno, pay 500$ and tune it
Old 05-07-2013, 01:22 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

I asked because it was kinda unclearn to me in the original post, now its makes sense, i knew it, just wasn't sure on this duty cycle thingy. I had a turboed car, but its was different than a mustang. I was doing all tuning my self because the ECU let me do that. Fuel trims, Combined trims at closed and open loops, fuel graphs and many more, but i guess with ford its all much simplier, just go to a dyno, pay 500$ and tune it
Or buy a tuning system that lets you do that, SCT Advantage or Delta Force's Commando will let you do all that and more--with the Moates Quarterhorse you can do it on the fly while driving (someone else is) the car...
Old 05-08-2013, 06:57 AM
jdmeaux1952

Fuel trims, Combined trims at closed and open loops, fuel graphs and many more, but i guess with ford its all much simplier, just go to a dyno, pay 500$ and tune it
Like Cliffyk said, buy a handheld that allows you to do all those things. Go check them out and contact the manufacturer to see to what point you can make the adjustments.

Most people are just happy enough with the pre-loaded tunes, while others will go to a dyno setup and get a custom tune. It all depends on what you want.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:34 AM
Dominasian
1st Gear Member

Handheld should be enough for me cause i am not gonna go crazy with my set up, maybe later on when ill have funds for now preloaded tune should do the job
Old 06-11-2013, 11:16 PM
highroller02
1st Gear Member

throw some basic suspension mods up on here and let the power be put to the pavement. Power is nothing without traction...
Old 06-12-2013, 06:46 AM
jdmeaux1952

Originally Posted by highroller02
throw some basic suspension mods up on here and let the power be put to the pavement. Power is nothing without traction...
You are right. If the suspension is too tight and unforgiving (like most), you never get the power down to the pavement. What good is a 650 rwhp engine if all you do is spin the tires? You need an active (for drag racing anyway in particular) suspension that allows weight transfer from the front to the rear. The vehicle will actually lift the front tires slightly as the weight goes back.

Www.allfords.com and forums.corral.net/forums both have excellent write-ups on how some people set up their own suspension.
Old 08-08-2013, 07:38 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by DanAdams
Well if you were in Wichita, KS i could get you 20-100 horespower for about 200$.
That's fantastic...

----------------------------------------
My mother told the story of three elderly women sitting in rockers at a nursing home. They were talking about their lives and the first stated she had been raised in a proper family, gone to the finest boarding schools, married a prominent doctor and lived a life of ease. The second woman said "Oh how wonderful!", the third said "That's fantastic!"

The second woman then said that she was the daughter of a tycoon, went to the finest schools in Europe, married a count and never wanted for anything. The first woman said "Oh you were so blessed!", the third woman said "That's fantastic!"

The first two turned to the third and asked about her life. She said that she lived with her grandmother after her father was killed and her mother ran off, that they were dirt poor and she only went as far as sixth grade in public school--and that her grandmother taught her to say "Fantastic!" instead of "bullshėt"...

Last edited by cliffyk; 08-08-2013 at 08:05 PM.

Quick Reply: Where to start with bolt-ons...