4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 05:26 PM
ChiefKeef

Default Suspension

I Just started fixing my 02 GT. Starting with the core support, I started drilling out the welds for the old core support(which was a bigger pain than expected). i have all the fenders and bumper off of course. Looking to have it ready to be inspected in about another week or so, maybe another month and ill have it on the road.

My main concern right now is suspension, now when i got the car all i could think about was power. It was brought to my attention that my main focus need to be focused on the suspension. Does anyone have any knowledge on some good ways to start?

Side qustion: Did the 02 GTs come with the 4r70w or the 4r75w? Im pretty sure its the 4r70w, i just need some clarification.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:47 PM
luke1333
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ChiefKeef
I Just started fixing my 02 GT. Starting with the core support, I started drilling out the welds for the old core support(which was a bigger pain than expected). i have all the fenders and bumper off of course. Looking to have it ready to be inspected in about another week or so, maybe another month and ill have it on the road.

My main concern right now is suspension, now when i got the car all i could think about was power. It was brought to my attention that my main focus need to be focused on the suspension. Does anyone have any knowledge on some good ways to start?

Side qustion: Did the 02 GTs come with the 4r70w or the 4r75w? Im pretty sure its the 4r70w, i just need some clarification.
hi there and welcome!

what are your goals for your car and how much power you bringing to it?

also they came with 4r70w
Old 01-26-2013, 06:50 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

What direction are you going with the car?
Old 01-26-2013, 09:01 PM
ChiefKeef

To answer both of your questions, as of right now now i would like to get better handling before dumping any kind of money into power. Basically, i want to put handling first, and power next. Sooner or later i want to Super Charge, but i was told that there is numerous ways to add more power to the car. I'm trying to get a good grasp on what im looking at and what i can add on in steps to make the car progressively faster(after handling first though)
Old 01-28-2013, 04:36 PM
luke1333
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ChiefKeef
To answer both of your questions, as of right now now i would like to get better handling before dumping any kind of money into power. Basically, i want to put handling first, and power next. Sooner or later i want to Super Charge, but i was told that there is numerous ways to add more power to the car. I'm trying to get a good grasp on what im looking at and what i can add on in steps to make the car progressively faster(after handling first though)
this is what i want to do. i want a supercharger down the road. make right around 400 hp so i am dumping some money into the suspension first and then probably gears/midpipe and trans work and maybe a stall if money permits then it will be time for blower after all the supporting mods are done. still with a bone stock engine right down to air filter! but it will ride good for the time being!
Old 01-28-2013, 05:58 PM
Seabee1993
2nd Gear Member

I had the same questions, and I emailed Maximum Motorsports, from the git go I initially showed great interest in their coil over kit.
Their consultant contacted me, asked me what I wanted to do with the car, and built a custom kit from one of their basic kits. It's not gonna be cheap, but tax time is coming! LOL
Old 01-28-2013, 06:25 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Well, it sounds like the car has been hit in the front? A good way to make sure you're not dealing with any damaged suspension components is to replace them all. It's not as expensive as you might think.

A k-member kit:
http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-p...er-kit-96.html

struts:
http://www.uprproducts.com/strange-m...-strut-94.html
^^or you could go with Konis if you're strictly into cornering, but these Strange 10-ways handle well

cc-plates:
http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-b...plates-94.html

I've heard of bent spindles, but that's super rare. Anyway, I don't know what your situation is, but if you have some damage and you're looking to upgrade while you replace your existing suspension, the parts I listed above are certainly worth considering.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:43 PM
ChiefKeef

Luke: Thats a nice little chunk of change your looking at for all of that. Dream big!

Seabee: It's tax season and every bit of it is going to my car lol, gotta love it!

UPR: The initial blow looks like it came from a curb, whatever the person before me hit must have rattled his teeth out of his head. From the hit, the right bumper was completely destroyed. The core support was destroyed, and the K- member now has a mold of the curb(or whatever he hit) in it. I drilled the welds of the core support out, next will be welding the new one in, i also have to replace the braces.There are a few things that need to moved back into place and/or rewired.

After that the new K-member will be put in, then the fenders and bumper go back on.

Finally it has to be inspected... I feel like i have bit off more than i can chew but I'm moving along. Hopefully I'll have it on the road in about a month to a month in a half.

I'm not 100% sure if I want to be strictly into cornering just yet, but i want to try out the Konis.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:12 AM
luke1333
2nd Gear Member

it is man. but i would rather spend about $20k in my mustang then go buy a cobra. just rather mod mine and have a nice respectable 2v then dorpping big money on a new cobra or 5.0. mine is in too nice of shape to sell! Close to $1,500 in suspension stuff sitting in garage right now haha
Old 01-29-2013, 09:40 PM
ChiefKeef

I feel the same way, im gonna have an attachment to my car. Although i will sooner or later invest in a fox body( a fixer upper). That way i can have my 4.6L and my 5.0 side by side. I love fox bodies.

Quick Reply: Suspension