4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Question about removing shocks/springs

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 02:46 PM
tracyballard
2nd Gear Member

Default Question about removing shocks/springs

I'm thinking about getting new shocks and springs for my 2002 GT, so I was looking around to see how hard it would be to do it myself. I saw a few tutorials and videos, but they were all using 4 jackstands and a floor jack to compress and decompress the springs. This looks pretty inconvenient, and probably a bit dangerous. I seem to remember from my high school automechanics class that you should use some spring compressors to remove springs. Is this a better way to do it, or should you use the compressors??
Old 01-29-2013, 02:58 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

You don't need a compressor to remove them, if there lowering springs there easy to get out, stock springs u have to muscle a little while pushing down on the axle, but with the shocks disconnected and the the axle unloaded there really isn't enough pressure for them to come flying out and hurt ya, if there stock springs a compressor would make it a hell of alot easier and you can rent one at autozone free, just dont get the mcpherson style there a pita.
Old 01-29-2013, 03:17 PM
tracyballard
2nd Gear Member

I like to buy tools, so anytime I have to work on my car, if tools will make it easier or better, I try to get them. I'm looking at getting a set or 2 of these Craftsman compressors. Do you think they would be useful, or a waste of time?

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-strut...2&blockType=G2

Old 01-29-2013, 07:12 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Thats the style u wanna stay away from,there mainly for coil over style factory struts where u remove the whole strut asembly then remove the spring afterwards. Thats a macphearson style compressor, u want a tradition coil spring compressor like this
http://www.cvpi.org/archives/p71inte.../wsdindex.html
Old 01-29-2013, 07:21 PM
tracyballard
2nd Gear Member

wow, that looked pretty serious. I'm going to be replacing my old 140K springs with some new Moog non-lowering springs. Am I going to have a problem doing it without one of these massive spring compressors?
Old 01-29-2013, 07:24 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

that spring compressor isn't massive at all, its half the size of the ones you posted. It fits inside the spring and u turn it with a wrench its easy as cake, u can do it without it but your gonna have to unbolt the shocks and muscle push the rear down while prying the springs out.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:32 PM
tracyballard
2nd Gear Member

I am going to replace the shocks also, but if it works that well I will probably get one of those compressors. thanks for the info!
Old 01-29-2013, 07:40 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

these cars doing have a coilover/hat style style strut though, the springs and struts are seperate entitys on these cars, so the other compressor style isn't going to work really.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:02 PM
Markus989
1st Gear Member

Cool Whaa?

Why u no lower your car?! Best thing i ever did to the car ever ......ever
Old 02-12-2013, 09:08 PM
tracyballard
2nd Gear Member

why would you lower a car? does it make it ride better or something?

Quick Reply: Question about removing shocks/springs