4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Short Throw Shifters

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 01:09 AM
HorsePower99
1st Gear Member

Thanks for all the responses everyone, and Cliff your link was really helpful. By reading that it sounds like the MGW is likely what was in the trade in that I drove and loved... Definitely seemed a little harsh and everything at first with being used to my stock shifter, but didn't take me long to get used to and man it felt weird going back to my car. It's hard for me to compare it to the cheapo short throw I got later though, because I got used to the stock again in between so the one I got still felt pretty great.

I'm mostly wanting something that's gonna be the shortest throw and it sounds a lot like that would be the MGW. I would still be happy with the Steeda or Hurst though as long as I don't get it and find that it's not even as short as the cheap one I had, that'd be pretty disappointing. To those of you that have the Steeda or Hurst, or even have had one of those and MGW, are the Steeda and Hurst shifters still really short? One thing kind of scaring me off the Steeda is that the reviews on American Muscle have the throw reduction rated at 4.5/5 while the Hurst is 5/5, but I thought it'd be better to ask people that have maybe tried both than to go by that when most people rating them aren't actually comparing the two.

Also, it doesn't look like American Muscle has the MGW though, not a huge deal I guess, but I do like to buy from them whenever possible because they've always been so good to me. Although considering my shopping cart is filled with about $4,000 in parts and I'm just waiting for the insurance of the guy that totaled my old Mustang to pay me, I guess it wouldn't be too terrible to go somewhere else with a little money haha.

Last edited by HorsePower99; 01-31-2013 at 01:13 AM.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:36 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

The MGW shifter is only available from MGW.

Keep in mind also that shortest throw means highest required shifting effort and the more "notchy" the feel--this is an inescapable fact brought about by basic mechanical principles. This may not bother you same as it does not bother me, however it is one of the more prevalent gripes put forth about the MGW.

I like the precision "rifle bolt" feel and further shortened the throw on my MGW by cutting 3/4" off of the shift **** stud so that the **** sits lower--the second thing my wife mentions when she drives my car, the heavy clutch being the first...
Old 01-31-2013, 06:21 AM
HorsePower99
1st Gear Member

Thanks, yeah I'm probably going to end up going with the MGW. Like I said, the one I drove that seemingly had an MGW definitely took more effort and well just all around sounds like exactly what you all have described as the MGW. It did feel weird at first, but I quickly got used to it and loved it.

Thanks for all the input, just wanted to get as much info as I could from people that might have tried out more than one. Like I said, I had a cheapo shifter in my last Mustang that was still infinitely better than stock, but I had seen some reviews on it where people said they had used a Hurst and the cheap one actually was a shorter throw than the Hurst. It would be disappointing as hell to buy an expensive shifter and end up liking it less than the cheap one I had before. Sounds like MGW is the way to go.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:40 PM
tracyballard
2nd Gear Member

I have the MGW on my 2002 GT and it works great.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:15 PM
1slow67
ROTM Moderator

I had a hurst shifter in my old 67 on a T5 and I didn't consider it short at all. Now the steeda shifter I have on my GT is nice, I only had it on the car 2 days before I wrecked it though. So I haven't been able to really get aquanted with it. The throws were definitely really short compared to stock.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:20 PM
Fillerdust
2nd Gear Member

I love my pro 5.0 in my car over my dads tri ax in his 03 gt.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:22 PM
tracyballard
2nd Gear Member

it'll buff out
Old 02-05-2013, 07:27 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

I've owned quite a few different brands of short throw shifters. Yes, I might be biased, but I like the UPR short throw shifter. I've gone 10.17 in the quarter mile with a UPR shifter. It worked well.

http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-b...r-3650-01.html
Old 02-05-2013, 10:40 PM
HorsePower99
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by UPRSharad
I've owned quite a few different brands of short throw shifters. Yes, I might be biased, but I like the UPR short throw shifter. I've gone 10.17 in the quarter mile with a UPR shifter. It worked well.

http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-b...r-3650-01.html
Have you used an MGW? If so, which would you say is shorter?
Old 02-05-2013, 11:49 PM
1slow67
ROTM Moderator

Originally Posted by HorsePower99
Have you used an MGW? If so, which would you say is shorter?
Everything I have read states MGW has the shortest throw shifter available. They even say it on their site.

Quick Reply: Short Throw Shifters