4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Throttle Body Spacer Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 09:37 PM
Travis98GT

Default Throttle Body Spacer Question

Just curious if a throttle body spacer actually does anything at all? Regarding Fuel Efficiency and power? I've never bought one and wanna get some info prior to purchase. Thanks guys!
Old 02-08-2013, 10:39 PM
Seabee1993
2nd Gear Member

I've never heard anything beneficial
Old 02-09-2013, 07:24 AM
Luke13
2nd Gear Member

I don't think the spacers have any real benefits. You're better off getting a larger throttle body all together, and even then the gains are very minimal. Especially if you're mostly stock.
Old 02-09-2013, 03:09 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

The upper plenum is the weak link in the stock intake.

Read Mods for beginners... and Where to start with bolt-ons... two "stickys" at the top of this forum...
Old 02-09-2013, 03:17 PM
stevednmc
3rd Gear Member

I have one. It doesn't do much if anything. Throttle response is better simply due to tightening the slack in the throttle cable. That is all the benefit I noticed.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:23 PM
Travis98GT

Thanks for the input guys, I really appreciate it. Just prevented me from wasting $100. I've got my eye on the BBK Throttle Intake (Throttle Body and Plenum in one). Not a bad buy it seems for the price. Any of you have any feedback on that? lol Thanks again!
Old 02-10-2013, 08:24 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by Travis98GT
Thanks for the input guys, I really appreciate it. Just prevented me from wasting $100. I've got my eye on the BBK Throttle Intake (Throttle Body and Plenum in one). Not a bad buy it seems for the price. Any of you have any feedback on that? lol Thanks again!
It is much bigger than it needs to be (70 mm is optimal for an n/a 2V) however the only negative effect will be at very high revs, between 5500 and the rev-limiter where the charge velocity will not be as high as it could be.

If that is not an issue for you, just like that it looks "trick" then go for it.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:50 AM
Luke13
2nd Gear Member

I found a used 78mm BBK throttle intake, so I bought and installed it along with a cold air intake. The install was pretty straight forward, but the cai barely fit around the 78mm intake, just took some patience. Overall I like the look and construction of the BBK "throttle intake." It's a good design and fits nicely. I noticed some better pick up in throttle, and at higher RPMs the torque feels stronger. You also get a nice whoosh sound of air. It's a good DIY bolt on.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:55 PM
StangEatsRice
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk
It is much bigger than it needs to be (70 mm is optimal for an n/a 2V) however the only negative effect will be at very high revs, between 5500 and the rev-limiter where the charge velocity will not be as high as it could be.

If that is not an issue for you, just like that it looks "trick" then go for it.
What do you mean the charge velocity will not be as high as it could be?
Old 02-11-2013, 01:28 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

• Air flow in the intake is not one continuous stream, but rather a series of pulses created as each intake valve opens and the piston move downward sucking in air;
  • The intake pulses have a much lower than ambient pressure head, a somewhat closer to ambient pressure body, and a near ambient pressure tail;
  • Air has mass like any other substance and is compressible/expandable;

As this mass of air, the intake pulse, is drawn into the engine the higher its velocity the more it will "ram" itself into the cylinder, placing more fuel charge into the cylinder and pushing out more exhaust gas. Its velocity and the higher pressure tail also draw along the low pressure head of the intake pulse "behind" it.

If the TB is too big the velocity of the intake pulse slows and performance suffers--especially at higher rpms. It is not a real big deal, however it is a real deal that manifests itself by the torque dropping off faster at higher revs 5500+ on our engines. 70 mm is the optimal size TB for an n/a 2V.

It is exactly the same thing as having too big an exhaust pipe will do, but in "reverse". In the exhaust the gas pulses have a high pressure head, a median pressure body, and a low pressure tail.

As the goal is to get the exhaust gases out of the pipe ASAP the faster the pulse move the faster it will be getting out of the way of the pulses behind it. And again the low pressure tail of a leading pulse will pull the high pressure head of a trailing pulse along with it.

Long tube headers are "tuned" so that at a particular rpm range the low pressure tail of one exhaust pulse from one cylinder will be moving out of the collector just as the high pressure head of another cylinder's exhaust is entering the collector--this is called scavenging...