4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

What to look for in a '99 GT???

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 07:22 PM
ThatOneKid

Default What to look for in a '99 GT???

Hello all, brand new to the forum. Im thinking about trading one of my cars for a red/black '99 GT. It has cat back FlowMasters, stage 3 clutch, with 162k on the body, and 72k on the motor.

I just wanna know if there are any strange quirks that go along with this car, (as my Saab has many), any problem things to look for. what kind of questions should I ask? What should I be looking for? And, how long can I expect for this car to last before I need to replace any major parts?

Thanks!
Old 02-10-2013, 08:22 PM
HorsePower99
1st Gear Member

If you get it, replace the spark plugs and make sure you do it right. I used to be a tech at a Ford dealer, and you see those engines blow out a lot of spark plugs. I've never seen them blow a stock plug or a plug that any of us at the dealer replaced though. I don't know if people change them hot or just don't torque them right or what. I had mine blow one out and then like an idiot I got scared to touch my plugs and it ended up blowing out another. After that I replaced them all and half of them were really loose. If I had just replaced them after the first I would have avoided blowing out the second one.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:41 PM
ThatOneKid

Thanks, sounds like some good info. Do you have a brand you prefer? and how often should i replace the plugs?
Old 02-11-2013, 09:14 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

The stock Motorcraft platinum plugs (or for that matter any single precious metal plug) are due to be changed at 100k miles. Though with the work you describe having been done on the engine it may not have OEM equivalent plugs.

It is VERY important to use a torque wrench or torque-limiting socket when installing plugs on the 4.6 L 2V engine. The factory torque recommendation is 11 lb-ft, which I personally think is too low; most plug manufacturers recommend 13 to 15 lb-ft for 14 mm tapered seat plugs.

I use a torque-limiting socket that "clicks over" at 14.5 lb-ft and have not have any problems, even when a couple years back I literally changed the plugs 2 to 3 times a day for a bit over a week while doing some field testing of high-end plugs and COPs.

There are not many "quirks" to the New-Edge Mustangs, those with the T-45 transmission (which a '99 would have) have a problem with getting stuck in reverse--here is the TSB describing the issue and fix.

The only other thing is that it is a 14-year old car, basically meaning anything can reach the end of its useful life and break tomorrow--as with any other 14-year old car...
Old 02-11-2013, 11:05 AM
HorsePower99
1st Gear Member

I got Motorcraft, I prefer Motorcraft everything. With mine I'm not trying to build a race car or anything near it though, just a fun car that has everything the way I like it, so if you're wanting something that people use for more high performance engines maybe others can help you out.

Other than the plugs the only specific thing I can think of is that they're bad for axle seals leaking, but that's a pretty easy fix. Especially if you're planning on doing gears you can just do it at the same time. Really, if you do gears you might as well replace the axle seals even if they aren't leaking. They're only a few dollars and then you know you have new ones. Otherwise, just check it over like you would any used car like Cliff said.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:28 AM
ThatOneKid

Thanks guys! Planning on changing the plugs ASAP if I do end up getting it, and the next time I'm messing around with the rear end, I'll change the axel seals. Minor gonna try to turn it into a 800Hp supercharged monster, though that would be afuly nice!
Old 02-14-2013, 06:30 PM
Repzard
4th Gear Member

99 Mustang is a great year.
Have one myself (Black one in avatar)

99 was the first year for the Newedge design plus its rated for more HP over the 98 with the PI heads.(260 hp compared to 98 215 hp)

Except for the Cobra (96-98) 305 hp 4V

BTW..welcome to the forum and good luck with your PONY
You joined the right forum.
Great people on here and very very knowledgeable

Last edited by Repzard; 02-14-2013 at 06:34 PM.