4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

bad 99 cobra track times. why?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2005, 03:04 AM
ourformerselves

Default RE: bad 99 cobra track times. why?

I take no offence to being a "bad driver" right now. I'm still stuck on racing like I did my FWD n/t talon.. which is a completely different style of launching. I'm going to the track again in 2 weeks and will take some of the advice from here with me.
Old 10-03-2005, 05:47 PM
taintedme

i agree w/ everyone on the 60' times affecting your times, but i think you probably have more problems than that. you should be trapping around 100-103 depending on elevation regardless of your poor '60 times. makes me think that there's something mechanically wrong. to see if you've had the "fix", call 1-800-FORDSVT and give them your VIN. you can also check your intake manifold for a green or blue dot (usually near the alternator). get it running right, then let the mods begin. (start w/ 4:10-4:30 gears. you won't be sorry).
Old 10-03-2005, 10:49 PM
ourformerselves

yeah I called SVT this morning and they said "the fix" had been done as well as the other recalls. I don't really understand what you're saying about the trap times because the "wasted" length of the track due to my bad launch is taking away from an increased mph by the end.
Old 10-04-2005, 06:56 PM
taintedme

on the contrary, go bolt a set of slicks and take a run. your e.t.'s will drop considerably, but your MPH will remain relatively constant. MPH is directly proportional to your amount of horsepower, as opposed to your e.t.'s which are proportional to how fast you can get from point A to point B. Unless you are very high above sea level, there is something wrong. my next suggestion would be to go to autozone, or the like, and get a diagnostic scan. won't cost you anything, but see if you're pulling any codes.
Old 10-04-2005, 08:04 PM
ZW99GT
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ourformerselves

yeah I called SVT this morning and they said "the fix" had been done as well as the other recalls. I don't really understand what you're saying about the trap times because the "wasted" length of the track due to my bad launch is taking away from an increased mph by the end.
No sir. Dont aruge with me please, we had had so many heated discussions about this. Your taction(as long as u dont let off) will not affect ur trap speed. I have time slips that prove this. The time u spent spinning actually leaves u with more track than if u would have hooked up. With the extra track, u can get up to speed. ( i dont really know how to explain it)Ask anyone on here with alot of track experience(JD1969 specifically) and they will tell u the same. Trap is directly related to horsepower, not traction!

Sorry, didnt see taintedme's post, he is also 100% correct.
Old 10-27-2005, 04:04 AM
ourformerselves

I went to the track 2 weeks ago and still could not get a good time. I launched around 1800rpm, had 3 or 4 small chirps during takeoff. I lowered the tire pressure to 25psi in the rear.

Here was my best time:

60' 2.397
1/4 14.941
mph 95.41

This was my best time @ the track time before.

60' 2.453
1/4 14.966
mph 95.33

I'm going again to the track on Friday to work on getting some better times. I installed the JLT CAI last week.

Here's some factors I believe to be contributing to my bad times: (comments welcome)
altitude = 2500ft
tires = Dunlop SP Sport FM901
Independent Rear suspension?
Convertable = more weight?
Me = #1 reason. still trying to adjust to RWD launching.
Old 10-27-2005, 01:53 PM
taintedme

did you ever get a diagnostic scan?
Old 10-27-2005, 03:19 PM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

I went to the track 2 weeks ago and still could not get a good time. I launched around 1800rpm, had 3 or 4 small chirps during takeoff. I lowered the tire pressure to 25psi in the rear.

Here was my best time:

60' 2.397
1/4 14.941
mph 95.41

This was my best time @ the track time before.

60' 2.453
1/4 14.966
mph 95.33

I'm going again to the track on Friday to work on getting some better times. I installed the JLT CAI last week.

Here's some factors I believe to be contributing to my bad times: (comments welcome)
altitude = 2500ft
tires = Dunlop SP Sport FM901
Independent Rear suspension?
Convertable = more weight?
Me = #1 reason. still trying to adjust to RWD launching.
Wow... My first time down the 1/4 mile EVER in my 04 GT got me a 15.02, my 10th was a 14.2... factory tires even. On all my runs I was running 96-98 MPH. Even when I spun something awful and missed second gear (synchro wouldn't let me in, so it grinded a little) and ran a 15.77 I was still at 94 MPH by the end of the 1/4 mile. I think getting your 60' times down to below 2.1 will put you down in the low 14s at least. I launched at 1800-2000 RPM, whatever was fine and I would spin all through first gear in most cases.

Definitely get a scan for engine trouble codes... and just do some basic checks, fuel filter, air filter... Bad A/F ratio possibly which is causing you to not have as much power as you should.
Old 10-27-2005, 03:33 PM
Dave2000GT
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ZW99GT

No sir. Dont aruge with me please, we had had so many heated discussions about this. Your taction(as long as u dont let off) will not affect ur trap speed. I have time slips that prove this. The time u spent spinning actually leaves u with more track than if u would have hooked up. With the extra track, u can get up to speed. ( i dont really know how to explain it)Ask anyone on here with alot of track experience(JD1969 specifically) and they will tell u the same. Trap is directly related to horsepower, not traction!

Sorry, didnt see taintedme's post, he is also 100% correct.
I can explain it simply..

At the end of the track you are moving FAST... so in the span of 60' at the end you accelerate maybe like 1MPH... so what this translates to is that whatever happens on any given 60' section of track including the first 60' has basically no effect on your MPH... as this is a function of power-acceleration over the whole track.
Old 10-27-2005, 04:18 PM
geetee03
5th Gear Member

95MPH trap speed is good for 14.3-14.6

Quick Reply: bad 99 cobra track times. why?