4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

welding questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 04:56 PM
blu30val
2nd Gear Member

Default welding questions

Within the next few weeks I'm finally installing my radiator support. I'm just curious on what equipment I'd be looking at. I know its expensive, however don't know the difference in application for tig, mig, etc. This car was wrecked before I bought it(and recently by me) and it looks like they used brass brazing to tach the radiator support on. I found a cheap brazing kit, however, this doesn't seem like the appropriate fix to me.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:22 PM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

Have you ever welded before? I prefer using a MIG/Flux welder, a TIG is more for thinner metals and requires much more skill..
Old 02-13-2013, 05:34 PM
blu30val
2nd Gear Member

I have never welded, but as a younger tech I want to add more skills to my tool belt. As far as the material goes, its really thin where it needs to be welded to the body.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:44 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

you can use electric flux core, using gas just makes for a cleaner weld in this case and offers no structural difference
Old 02-13-2013, 06:01 PM
CPTCO
5th Gear Member

The best advice I can give you is practice practice practice. Don't just dive in. Weld scrap to scrap for a few days before you weld on something you care about. I think you can get a 110volt mig welder at Home Depot or Lowes for not that much money. Go with a brand name like Miller or Hobart. Get a self darkening helmet, it will be lots easier to learn that way.
Once mastered its a great skill to have.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:11 PM
superhawk

Helmet your looking at 70$ for auto darkening
My gas welder works loads better than when i had flux core wire. Everything you could ever need you can pick up at lowes/depot.I would check out harbor freight. If you get one setup for gas then they weld ALOT nicer and gas inst very expensize and it last a long time. Remember, the thinner the metal, the thinner the wire.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:09 PM
chevydillan
1st Gear Member

^^^ DO NOT buy a harbor freight MIG. Might as well throw your money out the window on the way there. Lowes has Lincoln which aren't bad for what you want to do. Tractor supply sells Hobart which are nice as well. Just stay away from harbor freight.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:14 PM
blu30val
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by CPTCO
The best advice I can give you is practice practice practice. Don't just dive in. Weld scrap to scrap for a few days before you weld on something you care about. I think you can get a 110volt mig welder at Home Depot or Lowes for not that much money. Go with a brand name like Miller or Hobart. Get a self darkening helmet, it will be lots easier to learn that way.
Once mastered its a great skill to have.
Defiantly plan on taking this approach. Thanks a lot everybody, before any of this I truly had no idea what I was getting ready to jump into.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:17 PM
blu30val
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by chevydillan
^^^ DO NOT buy a harbor freight MIG. Might as well throw your money out the window on the way there. Lowes has Lincoln which aren't bad for what you want to do. Tractor supply sells Hobart which are nice as well. Just stay away from harbor freight.
Not to knock anyone but I agree, after turning wrenches for a bit I stoped buying from them as much, basically anything with moving parts I get elsewhere.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:07 AM
school boy
5th Gear Member

My advice would be get a mig, i mostly used miller but there are as good if not better ones out there, and deffinately use gas. I always liked our 220 volt better than the 110 but either should due in your case. Like mentioned above, the auto darkening helmets are great but not needed. You will deffinately appreciate the auto darkening better if you start out with the other. The biggest thing is practice so you get get a grip on the wire feed and amps you need to adjust.

Quick Reply: welding questions