4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Do I need a new/rebuilt tranny?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 06:10 PM
gmb96gt

Default Do I need a new/rebuilt tranny?

Haven't had the car long...bare with me...when in neutral I can look under the car and see the clutch fork wobbling, I assumed it was a bad throwout bearing so I bought a throw out and pilot bearing plus a ford racing clutch fork(haven't installed these yet). Now that i've actually been driving the car a few days I can hear a howling/whining in 4th and 5th and when I try to shift fast it scratches every time.

Also, it only howls while accelerating. If i let off the gas, it stops.

Anyway this could be a combo of bad pilot and throwout bearings plus maybe a stretched cable or clutch fork problem(looks like they took a hammer it)? I'm still not 100% sure the howling isn't coming from the rear end. I can't decide if I should install these parts or if I'd be wasting my time since I'd have to drive the car out of town to my uncles shop to do so. I'm completely new to manual transmissions, and don't know much about transmissions in general.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:17 PM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

You need new syncros don't put those parts you have in until you are going to have the trans rebuilt.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:32 PM
gmb96gt

I got a quote from a local shop for 925 to replace syncros and bearings. Seems high to me since this doesn't sound like a complete rebuild and I'd be pulling the trans myself. Is this high or normal?

Definitely seems high after seeing this http://www.smartpartsauto.com/manual...5_mustang.html

Last edited by gmb96gt; 02-17-2013 at 07:13 PM.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:34 PM
gmb96gt

Also I'm pretty sure every gear grinds if I shift fast. Still sound like synchros? Drives fine when I'm just cruising around.

Nevermind, it's only 1-2, 2-3. Just sold my chevy 355, guess I'm buying a rebuilt trans.

Last edited by gmb96gt; 02-17-2013 at 10:02 PM.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:26 PM
Seabee1993
2nd Gear Member

That's not a normal price with you pulling the trans and bringing it to them. Even where I live the overhead is high, but not that high. For a couple hundred more you could have a rebuilt one. As for the labor itself, I was quoted 350.00 - 500.00 in my area.
What year is your car? Quite important since this model year (99-04) has had a couple different transmissions in there over that span of time.
I was also going to suggest, if you're going to do all the labor and removal, and take those bearings back and just get a clutch kit, resurface your flywheel before you get a new trans in and replace it. IMO, it's one of those while you're there type of things. Getting to the transmission is bad enough, might as well make it worth your while. If it's a T-45, hope you have tons of 10" extensions, wobble sockets, and PB blaster.
Heres a good outlet for rebuilt: I think they quoted me 1400.00 shipped when I was in the market. http://www.thet45source.com/ GOOD LUCK!
Old 02-20-2013, 10:00 PM
gmb96gt

Originally Posted by Seabee1993
That's not a normal price with you pulling the trans and bringing it to them. Even where I live the overhead is high, but not that high. For a couple hundred more you could have a rebuilt one. As for the labor itself, I was quoted 350.00 - 500.00 in my area.
What year is your car? Quite important since this model year (99-04) has had a couple different transmissions in there over that span of time.
I was also going to suggest, if you're going to do all the labor and removal, and take those bearings back and just get a clutch kit, resurface your flywheel before you get a new trans in and replace it. IMO, it's one of those while you're there type of things. Getting to the transmission is bad enough, might as well make it worth your while. If it's a T-45, hope you have tons of 10" extensions, wobble sockets, and PB blaster.
Heres a good outlet for rebuilt: I think they quoted me 1400.00 shipped when I was in the market. http://www.thet45source.com/ GOOD LUCK!
It's actually a 96 and it is a t45. I found a decent deal on a used tranny(wrecked car) with a steeda tri ax on another forum from a reputable seller, but I'm starting to get a little paranoid. lol

But the clutch is new and I'll def look into buying or resurfacing the flywheel. I wouldn't think pulling the tranny would be that hard but I'm used to working on a camaro, not a mustang. Whole different beast.

I'm going to call thet45source tomorrow for a quote. I'm nowhere near $1400 but the trans shifts fine as long as i don't go for a quick shift. It may be worth it to keep saving.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:59 PM
jamsunami

To the OP, your description about the clutch fork wobbling with the car in neutral, that happened to me after my first clutch install. For me, one of the bolts holding the pressure plate was not torqued correctly (my bad), and some of the pressure fingers were contacting the throwout bearing unevenly, causing the clutch fork to shake with every engine revolution. Once I figured that out, it was easy to verify, by disconnecting the clutch cable, and looking through that opening in the trans (remove dust shield), pull the fork and TOB away, and verify that the pressure fingers are even. If they are not, then that could be the issue. Just a suggestion, my knowledge is pretty limited. I only chime in because of my experience.