4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

H pipe vs X pipe??

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 09:16 AM
Guitarman97

Default H pipe vs X pipe??

So i'm going to add a catted H or X pipe to my o3 GT to add some volume to it. So is the main difference just that the H pipe has that classic muscle car rumble and the X has the raspy racecar sound? And also is one louder than the other? Thanks and please give me your input.
Old 05-28-2014, 09:57 AM
mcrider
2nd Gear Member

The H pipe will give you slightly more horsepower and torque in the low to mid rpm range, while the X pipe will give you more hp and tq in the upper rpm range. Personally, my driving is done in the lower to mid rpms and I like the sound of the H pipe better, so this is my choice. This is totally subjective and your personal likings may be different.
Old 05-28-2014, 10:52 AM
Guitarman97

Originally Posted by mcrider
The H pipe will give you slightly more horsepower and torque in the low to mid rpm range, while the X pipe will give you more hp and tq in the upper rpm range. Personally, my driving is done in the lower to mid rpms and I like the sound of the H pipe better, so this is my choice. This is totally subjective and your personal likings may be different.
Thanks for the info, i've been looking up a lot of sound clips comparing them and i agree i like the sound of H a little better.
Old 05-28-2014, 01:11 PM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

Lots of guys prefer the Hpipe because it has a deeper tone throughout the RPM range. The Xpipe is known for being raspy, but it's truly only raspy with certain mufflers than others. The Xpipe can still sound deep, just not as deep as the Hpipe.

Personally, I think the best Hpipe setup and different than the perfect Xpipe setup. To me, the best Hpipe exhaust is paired with a free flowing bullet styled muffler. While the Xpipe should be paired with a larger chambered muffler. I feel the right combination is what makes or breaks an exhaust tone!

Hope this helps a little bit with your decision though. Hit me up if I can assist you with anything else.

Shane
Old 05-28-2014, 01:21 PM
Guitarman97

Originally Posted by AMShaneLesky
Lots of guys prefer the Hpipe because it has a deeper tone throughout the RPM range. The Xpipe is known for being raspy, but it's truly only raspy with certain mufflers than others. The Xpipe can still sound deep, just not as deep as the Hpipe.

Personally, I think the best Hpipe setup and different than the perfect Xpipe setup. To me, the best Hpipe exhaust is paired with a free flowing bullet styled muffler. While the Xpipe should be paired with a larger chambered muffler. I feel the right combination is what makes or breaks an exhaust tone!

Hope this helps a little bit with your decision though. Hit me up if I can assist you with anything else.

Shane
So in your opinion, which pipe would you go for since i have Borla Stingers?
Old 05-28-2014, 01:43 PM
school boy
5th Gear Member

Hp differences between the two are so minimum, running the car on a dyno would be the only way to tell. As for the sound, the above post nailed it.
Old 05-29-2014, 06:39 AM
Cali_Swag
1st Gear Member

I have a catted x pipe (bassani) and lm1 catback. It is ridiculously loud and raspy. Don't really like it but whatever it's on now. It does sound ok in the higher RPMs though.
Old 05-29-2014, 04:02 PM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Guitarman97
So in your opinion, which pipe would you go for since i have Borla Stingers?
With the Borla Stingers, I'd use an O/R Hpipe. The Stingers use a pretty open muffler and are a bit to much with a O/R Xpipe IMO. I think you'll be very happy with the Stingers and O/R Hpipe paired together!

Hope this helps bud.

Shane
Old 05-30-2014, 04:45 PM
Spiral534

Yep, I agree about the H pipes having a deeper sound.

Last edited by Spiral534; 05-30-2014 at 04:49 PM.
Old 05-30-2014, 05:46 PM
Guitarman97

Thanks Shane!!!! You've been extremely helpful!!!!!

Quick Reply: H pipe vs X pipe??