4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Help - Advice Needed on Trans/Clutch Noises

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 03:29 PM
foxtrot
2nd Gear Member

Default Help - Advice Needed on Trans/Clutch Noises

Just installed my MGW shifter what a nice piece of work they put out! A few days after running the new shifter (shift stops not installed per MGW recommendations). I am hearing noised and hard to get into first gear and also R. I believe the difficulty in getting into first & R was there before and that's why I got the new shifter. This all maybe clutch related or a combonational issue involving clutch adjustment and some clutch wear (ISB/TOB/Clutch fork etc.

Tried to adjust the clutch the simple way by pulling up on the clutch. Its the stock quadrant with 115K on the cable. Its a stock type aftermarket clutch put in ~ 75K. After adjustment I have no NO free play its tight as soon as I press in on the clutch. Engagement is low to the floor like usual.

Anyway, I am hearing lots of different things. The first noise I hear is in neutral. When I engage (push in on) the clutch the "noise" goes away completely.

Q1. Whats that ISB?

Also hearing more noises but can not yet quantify but its while in gear at very low RPM. I think the trans is fine and it seems its all clutch related.

Q2. Could this all be related to a poorly adjusted clutch?

Q3. If I need a new clutch/TOB/ISB what do you guys recommend as the most durable set (MFG name model no etc)?
Old 02-26-2013, 08:18 PM
foxtrot
2nd Gear Member

Bump Bump
Old 02-27-2013, 04:18 PM
foxtrot
2nd Gear Member

114 views no response hummmm Bump?
Old 02-27-2013, 06:22 PM
art02gt
3rd Gear Member

Mine developed a rattle at the shifter over time. It turned out to be a loose shift ****. Is everything nice and tight? i ocassionaly have a hard time geting in to first and reverse, but i really cant remember if it did it before the shifter install.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:11 PM
foxtrot
2nd Gear Member

MGW shifter install was easy and clean. Nothing to rattle and its not. Its all clutch so I will have to bring it in. Was hoping I could get some advice on that.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:31 PM
jamsunami

Usually a noise that goes away when pushing down the clutch pedal indicates a worn TOB. They often get squeaky, and can be squeaky for a while before finally biting the dust. I recommend searching the forum for TOB/throwout bearing/etc. Can you describe the sound?

I've heard of TOBs being damaged by the automatic adjuster, especially with higher mileage mustangs. Might be related. An aftermarket quadrant also requires a firewall adjuster. If you go this route, most people recommend an OEM mustang cable, with a firewall adjuster to get the cable setting dialed in. Again, I recommend searching the forum on this topic, lots of threads regarding the adjuster and aftermarket setups.

If you get a new clutch, get a Ford Racing TOB, these are highly recommended. Many aftermarket TOBs wear after a few thousand miles. Not sure about clutch recommendation.

Lastly, short shifters are known to transmit more noise and vibration. Could the noise be normal trans-sounds, just more noticeable now? I had a MGW short shifter, and I was startled at first by what I heard, but I quickly got used to it. Amazing shifter.
Old 02-27-2013, 11:02 PM
foxtrot
2nd Gear Member

Jamsunami thanks all good inputs! I will continue to do more searching.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:38 PM
blu30val
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by foxtrot
Tried to adjust the clutch the simple way by pulling up on the clutch. Its the stock quadrant with 115K on the cable. Its a stock type aftermarket clutch put in ~ 75K. After adjustment I have no NO free play its tight as soon as I press in on the clutch. Engagement is low to the floor like usual.

Anyway, I am hearing lots of different things. The first noise I hear is in neutral. When I engage (push in on) the clutch the "noise" goes away completely.

Q1. Whats that ISB?

Also hearing more noises but can not yet quantify but its while in gear at very low RPM. I think the trans is fine and it seems its all clutch related.

Q2. Could this all be related to a poorly adjusted clutch?

Q3. If I need a new clutch/TOB/ISB what do you guys recommend as the most durable set (MFG name model no etc)?
Got the same rattle in mine @ 178k. It's just a nasty rattle in neutral with the clutch disengaged right? Any luck with clutch selection?