4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

03 GT convertable leakage

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 09:40 AM
FlamingoGT
2nd Gear Member

The swishing noise could be from standing water in the cavity behind the rear seat that the top goes into when open... just look behind the rear seat and you will see what I mean. I have to take a wetvac to mine just about every time it rains.
What part of FL? I have heard of a top place here in Jax (convertibles is just one thing they do), but I haven't gone there myself yet.
Old 03-03-2013, 03:52 PM
Special20
1st Gear Member

Hi-- I have an 03 Vert and maybe this info can help you. What I have found out is that these vehicles are built so water actually drains thru the car into drains that seep into the frame and then out of the car. There are drain holes buried in the rear quarter panels under the rear speaker boxes(that have to be removed to see them), These can possibly be clogged. I had access to an air compressor and was able to blow them out from underneath the car. Also, these Verts are known for wear holes in the top from normal use. Have someone hold a hose to the rear glass and move it slowly from the side of the car to the center on each side. You should be in the back seat to look for water. I bought some waterproof adhesive from a dive shop that fixed all of my leaks. After fixing the leaks, I made what I call a wear patch on all spots that looked weak on the top. All this was done on the inside. I cannot remember the name of the stuff but any dive shop will know what it is. It dries clear and has lasted a year so far-- Good luck and hope this helps
Old 03-04-2013, 06:16 PM
Pixi02

Originally Posted by Special20
Hi-- I have an 03 Vert and maybe this info can help you. What I have found out is that these vehicles are built so water actually drains thru the car into drains that seep into the frame and then out of the car. There are drain holes buried in the rear quarter panels under the rear speaker boxes(that have to be removed to see them), These can possibly be clogged. I had access to an air compressor and was able to blow them out from underneath the car. Also, these Verts are known for wear holes in the top from normal use. Have someone hold a hose to the rear glass and move it slowly from the side of the car to the center on each side. You should be in the back seat to look for water. I bought some waterproof adhesive from a dive shop that fixed all of my leaks. After fixing the leaks, I made what I call a wear patch on all spots that looked weak on the top. All this was done on the inside. I cannot remember the name of the stuff but any dive shop will know what it is. It dries clear and has lasted a year so far-- Good luck and hope this helps

You didn't happen to take a pic of where the holes are did you? I went to a place to get it fixed and she said that was my problem. But I have an air compressor at home.and I don't have time to be without my car for a weekday.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:57 PM
Special20
1st Gear Member

First, you have to make sure that this is the problem. I took a pot of water and poured it over the lower left hand side of the rear window-where the2 parts of the top meet. water should drain out just in front of the rear wheel in about 10-15 seconds. if there isn't any water, then this is most likly the problem. If you don't have time to pull the rear speakers, take your air nozzle and try to blow out the area just in front of the rear wheels thru the frame and up into the spots where the rear side window would come down.. Unfortunatly, this is hard to explain.
Old 03-23-2013, 08:47 AM
FlamingoGT
2nd Gear Member

Here is a thread that has been around for a few years over in the convertible section:

https://mustangforums.com/forum/conv...tang-vert.html