4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

First Mustang...clicking sound when pressing clutch!

Old 03-11-2013, 10:16 PM
Christopher Lee

Default First Mustang...clicking sound when pressing clutch!

Ok so I recently purchased a 2002 6 Cylinder Mustang, and while I love it, it has been giving me many problems already. The issue is that when I press down the clutch pedal a little bit in I hear this very rapid and repeating clicking sound that seems to be coming from the bottom of the engine.

The clicking doesn't happen when the car is idling or when I press the clutch down all the way, it only happens when I have it pressed in a little bit. Needless to say, the clicking is most apparent when I have the car in reverse, when I go from neutral to first, or when I go from first to second. The clutch seems to be working fine and I have no problem switching gears, but the clicking sound is extremely annoying. Any idea if this is something normal or what it can be? I'd appreciate any advice!
Old 03-11-2013, 11:05 PM
TrueMetalGeek
1st Gear Member

Probably the throw out bearing.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:55 PM
Christopher Lee

Originally Posted by TrueMetalGeek
Probably the throw out bearing.
Thanks for the reply! Just out of curiosity, do you know about how much something like that would cost to replace? I know it varies from shop to shop but I don't really know anything about car repairs. Any ball park figure?
Old 03-12-2013, 12:03 AM
TrueMetalGeek
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Christopher Lee
Thanks for the reply! Just out of curiosity, do you know about how much something like that would cost to replace? I know it varies from shop to shop but I don't really know anything about car repairs. Any ball park figure?
The part will be cheap.
And it just hooks in place.

The fun part is dropping the tranny just to do it. LOL!

If there is much wear on the clutch at all, it's usually worth it to do the entire kit. Pilot bearing, throw out bearing, clutch and possibly the pressure plate.

I bought a used GT recently. I think I'll have to do that too some day.
My throw out bearing is fairly quiet though so nothing too soon.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:17 AM
FlamingoGT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Christopher Lee
Check with someplace like Aamco or any fairly reputable transmission place; just tell them the car and it sounds like the throwout bearing is going and you want to know about how much it would be to get it replaced, and you might as well ask about the cost with the clutch too. As mentioned, the parts are relatively inexpensive, it is the labor that is going to ream you. With OEM type parts, you are probably looking at $700 - $1000 (with replacing clutch and everything). If you could do it, or had friends that could, it is only about $300 in parts.

One small detail... you said you have a V6... this particular forum is for the 4.6l V8s. There is another forum on here for the V6s which may prove more helpful for you in the long run.
Old 03-12-2013, 02:45 PM
Christopher Lee

Originally Posted by FlamingoGT
Check with someplace like Aamco or any fairly reputable transmission place; just tell them the car and it sounds like the throwout bearing is going and you want to know about how much it would be to get it replaced, and you might as well ask about the cost with the clutch too. As mentioned, the parts are relatively inexpensive, it is the labor that is going to ream you. With OEM type parts, you are probably looking at $700 - $1000 (with replacing clutch and everything). If you could do it, or had friends that could, it is only about $300 in parts.

One small detail... you said you have a V6... this particular forum is for the 4.6l V8s. There is another forum on here for the V6s which may prove more helpful for you in the long run.
Hey thanks! Just so I know, is this something that I should get fixed sooner rather than later or something that I can live with if the clutch works fine? I ask because the guy I bought the car from told me he had recently replaced the clutch...I'm not sure if that is a lie or not but the clutch seems to be working ok.
Old 03-12-2013, 02:53 PM
DocSnickers
3rd Gear Member

I would get it taken care of, you do not want to have to replace a transmission that will be more expensive.