4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

drag coefficient

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 12:13 AM
SXGT
5th Gear Member

yeah with the 315 drag radials I was only chirping them. on the 97 i was using to taking it to red line and only getting a faint chirp. never slid around on dry road.
Old 03-17-2013, 02:19 AM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

I've done 155 in a stock 96 GT. The only thing that shook was my nerves. The entire car felt like it was going to lift off the I80. In reality, you actually need very little Hp to drive up to a desired speed. The faster you go, the more Hp and distance (depending on your Tq and gearing) you'll need to reach your desired goal.

You shouldn't be driving at WOT on city streets like some have said but we also shouldn't trow plastic away with the non recyclables. :0/

The stock hood scoop is for looks only and actually, the car itself wasn't designed to fill the higher end of the speedometer so of course it's going to shake.
Old 03-17-2013, 11:53 AM
SXGT
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sxynerd
I've done 155 in a stock 96 GT. The only thing that shook was my nerves. The entire car felt like it was going to lift off the I80. In reality, you actually need very little Hp to drive up to a desired speed. The faster you go, the more Hp and distance (depending on your Tq and gearing) you'll need to reach your desired goal.

You shouldn't be driving at WOT on city streets like some have said but we also shouldn't trow plastic away with the non recyclables. :0/

The stock hood scoop is for looks only and actually, the car itself wasn't designed to fill the higher end of the speedometer so of course it's going to shake.
city streets? i did this on a very long opened up rural road with no intersections...........

anyone made the hood scoop vent or something? seems like rain water may be an issue.
Old 03-17-2013, 12:17 PM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

OK your going to take this wrong and I don't mean to be a D!ck but how the hell do you have 2700 posts but all your post lately make it sound like you are a total noob?
Old 03-17-2013, 02:14 PM
SXGT
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BraMas
OK your going to take this wrong and I don't mean to be a D!ck but how the hell do you have 2700 posts but all your post lately make it sound like you are a total noob?
i've been gone for extended periods of time. also a lot of my posts are hypotheticals and apologetics.

I feel like i know a lot but sometimes I'll ask anyway just to see different responses.

some stuff tho I really am clueless on, and i can admit that.

also only recently have I had my new mustang

Last edited by SXGT; 03-17-2013 at 02:16 PM.
Old 03-17-2013, 11:38 PM
blu30val
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SXGT
city streets? i did this on a very long opened up rural road with no intersections...........

anyone made the hood scoop vent or something? seems like rain water may be an issue.
We did it on a v6 a long time ago, my buddy told me the hood started to shake when we did it which would be counter productive in your case. Have you tried adjusting bump stops? Seeing if latch is damaged or loose? Bro,you can't take criticism personal on here, been there done that.. right sxy. Haha
Old 03-18-2013, 07:48 AM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Search function. Been talked about almost as much as anything, and is a big waste.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:02 AM
Sonic Mustang
Banned

Originally Posted by Sxynerd

155 MPH in a STOCK 1996 Mustang GT? Really? With all of 215 HP? Sure.

The data I've found shows the weight of a 1996 GT as 3,411 lbs. It has a CD of .38 and 22.5 square feet of frontal area. You'd need about 240 HP to attain 155MPH under ideal circumstances.

At 140 MPH, a 1996 GT needs about 160 HP to overcome aero drag and 217 at 155MPH. That's not counting the HP needed to overcome rolling resistance.

By the way, you need a lot of horsepower to go fast. The coefficient of drag squares with a doubling of speed, Starting from any given speed, each additional MPH needs more and more horsepower. That's why the Bugatti Veryon needs 1,001 horsepower to reach 253 MPH.

Last edited by Sonic Mustang; 03-18-2013 at 11:19 AM.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:33 AM
SXGT
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sonic Mustang
155 MPH in a STOCK 1996 Mustang GT? Really? With all of 215 HP? Sure.

The data I've found shows the weight of a 1996 GT as 3,411 lbs. It has a CD of .38 and 22.5 square feet of frontal area. You'd need about 240 HP to attain 155MPH under ideal circumstances.

At 140 MPH, a 1996 GT needs about 160 HP to overcome aero drag and 217 at 155MPH. That's not counting the HP needed to overcome rolling resistance.

By the way, you need a lot of horsepower to go fast. The coefficient of drag squares with a doubling of speed, Starting from any given speed, each additional MPH needs more and more horsepower. That's why the Bugatti Veryon needs 1,001 horsepower to reach 253 MPH.
factor in perfect weather for max engine power, down hill road, and perfect wheel tires for it and I'd say yeah.

a lot of people have a 1996 mustang, but its almost 20 years old.....and not making 215hp anymore. I can imagine a 1996 mustang in 1996 going 155mph given the right circumstances.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:09 PM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

Ive never had a car with a hood scoop and I must say, it gives me the feeling that I am not very aerodynamic... past 70mph my hoods shaking even...

has anyone payed any attention to MPG because of hoods and stuff? Also how can you look up your drag coefficient? there can t be one magic number for all mustangs. I can think of 4 different hoods...

EDIT:

I dont want to make another thread so I will ask in here. Am I a crappy driver? here is why I think I might be. When going WOT and shifting into 2nd I spin the tires a LOT, tooo much i think. I just got new tires and they should be gripping better. I feel like I can feel the tires start to lose traction at about 5K RPM tho before I shift and i think me shifting is making it worse. I have 275mm Nexen N7000s in the rear...

You're trollin'... you have to be trolling. I refuse to accept this is real life.

Quick Reply: drag coefficient