4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

drag coefficient

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 11:24 PM
SXGT
5th Gear Member

Default drag coefficient

Ive never had a car with a hood scoop and I must say, it gives me the feeling that I am not very aerodynamic... past 70mph my hoods shaking even...

has anyone payed any attention to MPG because of hoods and stuff? Also how can you look up your drag coefficient? there can t be one magic number for all mustangs. I can think of 4 different hoods...

EDIT:

I dont want to make another thread so I will ask in here. Am I a crappy driver? here is why I think I might be. When going WOT and shifting into 2nd I spin the tires a LOT, tooo much i think. I just got new tires and they should be gripping better. I feel like I can feel the tires start to lose traction at about 5K RPM tho before I shift and i think me shifting is making it worse. I have 275mm Nexen N7000s in the rear...

Last edited by SXGT; 03-15-2013 at 11:29 PM.
Old 03-16-2013, 06:59 AM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Why are you going WOT on the street?
Tires, suspension and road surface will be the three factors to hook. I could spin tires in a stock V6. You have to drive it smarter. Over powering the tires will slow you down.

If you are really worried about aero, the scoop is a start - but in the big picture, it's just the tip of the iceberg.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:48 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Those nexens arent the best tire to begin with
Old 03-16-2013, 09:10 AM
SXGT
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by uberstang1
Those nexens arent the best tire to begin with
yeah but there 275s and this car doesnt have any real power?
Old 03-16-2013, 10:34 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

The car has alot of power its just not alot by todays standards, definatlly more than enough to break those tires loose on a rwd mustang. Just cause its 275 means nothing, quality of the tire means more, a top end 245 would hook better than a low quality 275
Old 03-16-2013, 12:11 PM
school boy
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by uberstang1
The car has alot of power its just not alot by todays standards, definatlly more than enough to break those tires loose on a rwd mustang. Just cause its 275 means nothing, quality of the tire means more, a top end 245 would hook better than a low quality 275
I agree here^^^
I know these cars are light in the rear, and if fuel tank is under half it doesnt help spinning either. As for the hood scoop, its not enough drag to worry about.
Old 03-16-2013, 02:33 PM
Sonic Mustang
Banned

A GT hood scoop has minimal effect on CD. When program manager Scott Hoag wanted a functional shaker on the 2003-2004 Mach1, he had to prove that it would increase performance. Testing showed a ram effect above 80 MPH, so the Mach 1 got its real shaker.

Under 80 MPH, there is little if any air being rammed into the shaker. Essentially, the nose of the car pushes most of the air above the hood higher than the shaker. Your GT hood scoop is lower than a Mach 1 shaker and I'm betting it has very little if any effect on CD below 80 MPH. I doubt any aftermarket hood that is less than eight inches higher than stock would affect CD below that speed unless it was eight inches higher at its leading edge.

I've driven New Edge GTs, both coupes and convertibles, and never noticed and hood shake at or below 120 MPH. I can't remember driving a GT over 120 MPH.

If you want to lower your CD, get rid of the 275s and go back to the stock 245/45 17s.

What exactly do you mean by spinning the tires shifting into second? Are you getting a chirp, or lighting them up? Are you power-shifting? Doing something unnatural with the clutch? I can accelerate WOT in my Mach 1, shift normally into second and immediately resume WOT and chirp the tires. I let up on the accelerator and use the clutch and my 275s are "not spinning." I'm pretty sure I could get my rear tires to spin a whole lot more shifting into second by driving like idiots on YouTube videos, but don't. It isn't faster and only leads to blue and red flashing lights.

Last edited by Sonic Mustang; 03-16-2013 at 02:48 PM.
Old 03-16-2013, 03:14 PM
Stevo86
3rd Gear Member

If you grab second real hard and keep the RPM's up high during the shift you will spin tires all day. It is the shock to the drivetrain that breaks the tires loose.

You could continue to powershift and ride the clutch a bit, at the expense of your clutch disk of course, to give it a smoother transition.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:53 PM
Sonic Mustang
Banned

Originally Posted by Stevo86
If you grab second real hard and keep the RPM's up high during the shift you will spin tires all day. It is the shock to the drivetrain that breaks the tires loose.

You could continue to powershift and ride the clutch a bit, at the expense of your clutch disk of course, to give it a smoother transition.

That pretty much is my definition of driving like idiots on YouTube!

I'll start trashing my transmission, clutch and tires after I get a sponsor to pay for parts, labor and a new car.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:00 PM
blu30val
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sonic Mustang
Im pretty sure I could get my rear tires to spin a whole lot more shifting like idiots on YouTube videos, but don't. It isn't faster and only leads to blue and red flashing lights.

Originally Posted by Sonic Mustang
That pretty much is my definition of driving like idiots on YouTube!

I'll start trashing my transmission, clutch and tires after I get a sponsor to pay for parts, labor and a new car.
good advice from uber too. A wider foot print means nothing on crap tires.

Quick Reply: drag coefficient