4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.
Old 10-20-2015, 10:15 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Brakes
Print Wikipost

ABS/Trac off light on??

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 12:21 PM
MidNightRunner
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by dawson1112
There is no need to guess at it and just start replacing parts, the PCM has a separate batch of codes that can be read using the correct diagnostic equipment, no you cant use a regular obd2 code scanner but a tech 2 device can access this area of the pcm.
That makes sense that there would be a way to pin point the problem. I mentioned the ABS issue to two mechanics over the years and I guess they just didn't have this tool.

I still cant imagine that it will be a cheap fix but to know the source of the problem would be great.
Old 09-22-2015, 09:51 AM
Camster
2nd Gear Member

A few days ago,the ABS light came on for about 15 minutes and then went out.
Happened for about 5 minutes yesterday.It doesn't come on with every outing.
Today,both the ABS light and Traction light came on for about 10 minutes.On my way back home,after the car had parked for a while,nothing came on.
Shall I assume that the problem is with the rear sensors or rear brake components being dirty?Figured I'd do some cleaning for starters.
Thanks.

Update.The rear rotors had never been off this car,so I removed them,cleaned the sensors and stator wheels.Put in new rotors and pads,which I had in stock.On the test drive,fine for five miles,then the ABS light came on for one mile.The Traction light also came on for a split second,and then both went out.Fine for the rest of the two mile trip home.

Last edited by Camster; 09-22-2015 at 03:01 PM.
Old 10-05-2015, 04:02 PM
Camster
2nd Gear Member

Not to beat a dead horse...too much, ;-) but is this assumption correct?
If I only get the light after a few miles of driving,that indicates a bad sensor,not a bad brain.
If I get an ABS and trac light together,does that mean a bad rear sensor,or just a problem somewhere.
I'm getting the impression that I could put in new rear sensors )about $100 each)and I'd have good odds of solving the problem,without going to a dealer or paying for a scan.
Old 10-05-2015, 06:37 PM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

You really need a scanner for this. Check on Amazon, they have scantools capable of reading the usual powertrain codes as well as chassis/electrical and body dtc's; you can spend as much as you want on one but the last I looked there were some for around $50. That really is probably your most cost effective and time efficient option.

Your only other options are to start throwing parts at it. Which will definitely cost more than $50. Could be a bad wheels sensor; there are 4 of them so pick one and start working your way around the car. Could be a bad hydraulic control unit; what I've heard can happen is an electronic component can break free from the circuit board just due to age and vibration. Check on Youtube, it's been a while but there's a vid on there of a guy resoldering broken off things back onto the board to make it functional again. Obviously though you would need to remove it from the car and inspect it first for any visually obvious problems before coming to this conclusion.

Based on the nature of your symptoms being intermittent, I lean toward a bad electrical connection or something like I described with the HCU. The ABS and TC are tied together and ultimately reliant on ABS being fully functional, if a wheel speed sensor goes out at any one of the four corners it will take TC function out along with it; it has nothing to do with any sort of sensory bias of a front or rear wheel.

Last edited by Z28KLR; 10-05-2015 at 06:40 PM.
Old 10-08-2015, 03:17 PM
Camster
2nd Gear Member

Thank you for a very informative response.
A friend might have the proper scanner,otherwise I'll probably spring for one.Thus far,I've been the only one to work on the car since new,so the challenge of continuing with that holds some appeal.I know exactly what has been done,and exactly what hasn't been done.
Old 10-12-2015, 02:04 PM
Drastang
2nd Gear Member

I've had this problem for 6 years I love it screw trac control
Old 10-12-2015, 04:00 PM
Camster
2nd Gear Member

A fair weather car,where the tac rarely goes over 2k.Trac control means nothing to me-I would like the ABS to work as it should,though even that isn't too important with my old man driving style.I just like to keep her as close to 100% AOK.
Old 10-12-2015, 08:09 PM
Gary Ugarek
4th Gear Member

I haven't had this problem yet, but I upgraded all my brakes anyway. Figured it was the best option. my 02 is almost 14 years old based on build date so with the 5.4L swap I needed to upgrade some stuff anyway, why not the brakes.
Old 12-03-2015, 06:28 PM
Camster
2nd Gear Member

My local repair station put a scanner on her,and it said that it couldn't communicate.
I bought a scanner(code reader) myself-Innova 3100,which is indicated as having ABS capability for the Mustang- and got the same message.
....I'm thinking that means the module is bad??
Old 12-04-2015, 12:02 PM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

^ Assuming all fuses are good, then yes, "no communication" generally points to a bad module.

Found a vid on Youtube a couple years ago of a guy repairing the modules on these cars. Apparently one of the possible faults is due to vibration over a sustained period of time one or more of the electronic components attached to the circuit board will end up with a broken connection to the board. The guy in the vid was just simply re-soldering said component back to the board.

Before buying a new/used HCU, it may be worth your while to remove and visually inspect yours first, see if there isn't anything obviously wrong from that perspective.

Quick Reply: ABS/Trac off light on??