4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

stang has to sit outside...car cover...good or bad idea?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 11:18 AM
built67
2nd Gear Member

Default stang has to sit outside...car cover...good or bad idea?

Hey guys,

So my 67 coupe is a work in progress...after my last part of the CPA exam it'll be stripped down to the shell for a full resto...however, I happened to pick up a 2000 GT the other day to add another pony to the stable! The thing is mint...20k original miles! Its a yellow "spring edition" (has gt stripes on the hood)...my only problem is i dont have room in the garage for it and the 67 is definitely not coming out. I've heard both sides on car covers...some say good...others say itll scratch up the paint and the constant on/off is no good (my friend leaves his 2011 GT 500 outside bc he said a cover scratched up his rocker panels)...what do you all think? i was looking at this one

http://www.calcarcover.com/cover_mat...l&ct=(Makes2)#

The "superweave"...We might extend our garage and then i'll be able to fit 2 inside (its a 2 car garage now but one side doesnt have enough room for the 2000...so it has to sit outside for now). Any thoughts?
Old 03-21-2013, 01:42 PM
built67
2nd Gear Member

92 views and not one suggestion? tough crowd
Old 03-21-2013, 02:52 PM
S stang
1st Gear Member

Default Covers

I use one on my 06 gt. it sits out all winter here in central ILL. Just be sure to get a good one for the car,not a cheap one.mine has a soft side on the car so it can't scratch it. Take it off on nice days to drive it when i can .
Old 03-21-2013, 04:15 PM
Tom V
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by built67
92 views and not one suggestion? tough crowd
lol. One of those views were mine. I was on my lunch break and only had 1/2 hr. I opted for the sandwich.

I say it's better than letting it sit in the snow, bird droppings, wet leaves etc. I have mine covered. The rule of thumb I use is clean car, clean cover. I won't put a dirty cover on a clean car or vice versa.

When ordering your cover inquire if it can be put in a washing machine.
Old 03-21-2013, 04:27 PM
Luke13
2nd Gear Member

I got a cheap car cover from Walmart, it worked but I didn't end up using it very much because of the hassle of getting it on and off. A more expensive one may be less of a hassle. With the material and make of the cover I had, I can definitely see it scratching the paint after extensive on and off work, not to mention it didn't fit nicely. Have you thought about one of those metal sheds you can get built? I've been looking for a solution also, because the time will come when I won't have a garage.
Old 03-22-2013, 12:05 AM
Sonic Mustang
Banned

The OP wrote his mustang will be a daily driver. Using a car cover on a daily driver is way different that putting it on in November and taking it off in april.

If the car is dirty, it the softness of the car cover is immaterial. The softest car cover will mar and scratch paint if the car isn't 100% clean. If you put a car cover on a dirty car, the cover now has dirt on it so even if you put it on a freshly washed car, you will mar and scratch the paint.

Unless you wash or use a detailer EVERY SINGLE TIME you put on the car cover, you will damage the paint.

Try this: Wash the car in the morning, drive it to work and back and wipe it down with detailer. Look at what's on the microfiber.

Find/rent a garage.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:48 AM
FrostByte
5th Gear Member

Cool

Originally Posted by Sonic Mustang
The OP wrote his mustang will be a daily driver. Using a car cover on a daily driver is way different that putting it on in November and taking it off in april.

If the car is dirty, it the softness of the car cover is immaterial. The softest car cover will mar and scratch paint if the car isn't 100% clean. If you put a car cover on a dirty car, the cover now has dirt on it so even if you put it on a freshly washed car, you will mar and scratch the paint.

Unless you wash or use a detailer EVERY SINGLE TIME you put on the car cover, you will damage the paint.

Try this: Wash the car in the morning, drive it to work and back and wipe it down with detailer. Look at what's on the microfiber.

Find/rent a garage.

this ^^^^^^^^^
Old 03-22-2013, 02:55 PM
SXGT
5th Gear Member

http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_1...V005108841000P
Old 03-23-2013, 12:04 AM
FrostByte
5th Gear Member

car shed. About $2500 12' x 20' with concrete pad.
Name:  2010may3mustangcruise009.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  89.7 KB
Old 03-23-2013, 07:33 AM
Luke13
2nd Gear Member

$2500 for the concrete and being installed? Is there any type of "door" system on that end?

Quick Reply: stang has to sit outside...car cover...good or bad idea?