4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

2002 GT Transmission leak

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 12:28 PM
JJ Glo
1st Gear Member

Default 2002 GT Transmission leak

Hey, I bought a 2002 Mustang GT and I don't know much about the vehicle so I registered on here hoping to get some help.

The car is leaking transmission fluid and I was wondering if you guys knew from where or why it was leaking and what do I have to do to stop it from leaking.

Here is a picture of where it leaks from.

Old 03-25-2013, 12:30 PM
JJ Glo
1st Gear Member

Ehm, that picture was a little too big and it won't let me edit my post

Old 03-25-2013, 12:31 PM
JJ Glo
1st Gear Member

Nevermind I can see the picture fine now. It wasn't loading before.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:32 AM
96t-bird
5th Gear Member

Hi, i cannot tell from the pics. But are you sure it is tranny fluid or motor oil? In that area it could be the torque converter seal or the rear main oil seal. I am sure you will get more response, with better info/ help.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:09 AM
JJ Glo
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 96t-bird
Hi, i cannot tell from the pics. But are you sure it is tranny fluid or motor oil? In that area it could be the torque converter seal or the rear main oil seal. I am sure you will get more response, with better info/ help.
Yeah it's tranny fluid. I put one of those metal oil drip pans under the drip and the fluid was clearly red.

What I find weird is that that black circle from where the drop is coming out of is a black seal and it's just sitting there and it's kind of loose if you move it around with your hand. Is there supposed to be something covering it?
Old 03-26-2013, 08:52 PM
96t-bird
5th Gear Member

Maybe someone that know more about tranny will just in. From what you are saying, it most likely is the torque converter seal. The black rubber, is a seal. I will check my tranny tomorrow. And look in my ford service manual. Sorry, i could not be of more help.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:35 PM
paintballpyro1

Well i just swapped my 4r70w for a t45 and i was having the same leak. There is a block plate and it seeps from there(think it may be the pump seal)

I uploaded a photo of mine where it was leaking and most likely your as well

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old 03-27-2013, 06:33 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Its either the shaft seal to hard to tell, but you def have an oil leak somewhere too. I'd soak that undercarriage down with some degreasser and clean it up real good to help determine where all those leaks are coming from theres alot of residue and sludge buildup under there.
Old 03-29-2013, 03:04 AM
petrock
4th Gear Member

I’m in the middle of an adventure (to say the least) fixing as many leaks as I can find on my wifey’s car (which also has the 4r70w tranny like your ride). The motor has been out for 2 weeks now as I keep finding more and more things to fix. I just replaced the tranny oil pump o-ring and seal yesterday. I’m waiting on new battery cables before I start putting it back together...

Anyway, with that said, the little rubber thing at the bottom of the bell housing is just a plug. It is not a seal. It is there so you can gain access to the torque converter drain plug (if you choose to drain it during tranny fluid changes). There are two seals inside the bell housing that could leak tranny fluid. The large o-ring around the tranny oil pump (the red arrows in paintballpyro1’s post) and the torque converter/input shaft/tranny pump seal (the black rubber ring at the base of the large splined shaft in paintballpyro1’s post). Both are very easy to replace and very inexpensive parts (less then $10 at rockauto.com for the pair), but they are not easy to get to. You have to either pull the tranny or pull the motor. I went with pulling the motor since I also has an engine oil pan leak and that is easier to replace with the motor out. When you pull the tranny oil pump to replace the o-ring and/or seal (I’d do both), don’t forget to replace the formed gasket behind the pump ($8 at your dealer) or you’ll be tearing it apart again to fix another oil leak.

While your in there, you might as well also replace the rear main seal (also an inexpensive part).

Good luck...

Last edited by petrock; 03-29-2013 at 03:08 AM.
Old 03-29-2013, 03:13 PM
JJ Glo
1st Gear Member

Well, like I said, I'm no mechanic and I don't have the equipment necessary to do this so I went to a shop today and they wanted 490 to change the torque converter seal and the oil seal.

Quick Reply: 2002 GT Transmission leak