4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

How much to pay?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 10:32 PM
Sonic Mustang
Banned

Originally Posted by JC316
Cars are my business, so I think I am qualified to answer on what a car is or isn't worth. Average price at auction for one with comparable miles is $7800, figure a dealer markup to around $10K So the OP offered more than what a dealer would likely want and the guy turned him down.
Tell me exactly the condition of the car in question. Are auction prices relevant? Can you test drive a auction car or put it on a lift for inspection? Could the private seller's car be better than the average auction-bought dealer car?

You don't know.

As I pointed out in my post, The OP will be able to make a value assessment only after he sees several Mach 1s on the market.

Last edited by Sonic Mustang; 04-01-2013 at 10:42 PM.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:36 PM
Sonic Mustang
Banned

Originally Posted by BraMas
I'm guessing you are a very pissed off person all the time. I have yet to see you make a post that didn't frustrate you in some way.
I'm sure the OP was just wanting peoples opinion a vehicle. But I do agree with you I hate the tards that say offer less without seeing said vehicle. I just choose not to comment in anger like you

Why do you think I'm pissed off? Just because I point out foolish behavior doesn't make me angry.

If you hate "tards" and stay quiet, you will soon be surrounded. Grow a set.
Old 04-01-2013, 11:32 PM
99GTvert
is my username.

..so...how much was the seller asking?
Old 04-01-2013, 11:37 PM
Sonic Mustang
Banned

Originally Posted by 99GTvert
..so...how much was the seller asking?
There was a "gut feeling" at $12,000.
Old 04-01-2013, 11:45 PM
SXGT
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sonic Mustang
I don't care how much you know about Mach 1s, unless the car is in front of you and you drive it, a value assesment is impossible.
false. its a 2003 Mach1 with 90K miles with no mention of mechanical defect or cosmetic tarnish or rebuild. I can very much give you a ball park figure based on that.

OBVIOUSLY the op was checking in here to see if we would say "No way, I see those sell for 8K all week long" or "Hell, 12K is a steal on that car"

as stated, KBB isnt always the best bench mark. Also you said, "1. The buyer hasn't researched the market." thats exactly what he is doing here....
Old 04-01-2013, 11:59 PM
Hob

Thank you to those helping!

This particular Mach 1 is at a small speciality dealership. The engine bay, interior, and aside from a few small paint imperfections on the front bumper from 91k miles it's clean. Test drive felt solid.

KBB is 11.6k for this particular car with listing price at 12k. I brought 10.5k cash in hand first time to the dealer to see if I could get a deal but he seemed to like the 12k area. I was never in the market for Mach 1, always looking for clean 02 - 04 GT but I stumbled across this Mach 1 as it is one of my favorite colors and simply caught my eye.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:04 AM
SXGT
5th Gear Member

also you have to keep in mind the used car market has exploded recently with the downturned economy of a few years ago. fewer people are able to afford new cars. maybe that dealer knows they can get 12 out of it if they just wait a little longer.

you'll just have to ignore Sonic Mustang. He has high blood pressure. He acts like the whole world is watching him every time he makes a post. He's blood pressure is rising right now as he reads this. LOL nah really he's just some kid.

Last edited by SXGT; 04-02-2013 at 12:09 AM.
Old 04-02-2013, 01:07 AM
JC316
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sonic Mustang
Tell me exactly the condition of the car in question. Are auction prices relevant? Can you test drive a auction car or put it on a lift for inspection? Could the private seller's car be better than the average auction-bought dealer car?

You don't know.

As I pointed out in my post, The OP will be able to make a value assessment only after he sees several Mach 1s on the market.
Yes, I can tell you the condition of the car since auction assessors DO test drive them, place them on a lift and then give us a report. They are absolutely brutal in their assessments. On top of that, if it's been green lit, I have a test drive period. One with 65K miles in near perfect condition went for 11.5K. Still less than what the guy is wanting and it had lower miles.

Last edited by JC316; 04-02-2013 at 01:12 AM.
Old 04-02-2013, 03:53 PM
FrostByte
5th Gear Member

Mach 1s wont be around forever. 90k is not really high mileage, just broken in. I find most M1 owners appreciate them more & in generale take bettter care of them.

Go back in a week or two & make same offer, if its still there.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:44 PM
Sonic Mustang
Banned

Originally Posted by JC316
Yes, I can tell you the condition of the car since auction assessors DO test drive them, place them on a lift and then give us a report. They are absolutely brutal in their assessments. On top of that, if it's been green lit, I have a test drive period. One with 65K miles in near perfect condition went for 11.5K. Still less than what the guy is wanting and it had lower miles.
But, you can't tell me the condition of the car in question.

Quick Reply: How much to pay?