4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Buying a used Mustang! Need HELP!! PLEASE READ!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 02:09 AM
JamesCody

Arrow Buying a used Mustang! Need HELP!! PLEASE READ!!

Alright well here is my case to start with (Skip down to "SO...." if you don't care for the introduction )

I'm a high school senior who started off with a 1973 SS Chevy Nova as my starter/Daily driver back in my Junior year, It took a lot of paychecks from my part time job to feed the 7-10 miles to the gallon I was getting. Then my Step-father and mother let me use their Nissan Sentra ('94) while they drove their cars to work, I eventually put enough miles on the Sentra to where the clutch went out at 225k miles, and we are selling it. So I started looking for a new car

I hate rice burners and I love muscle cars, I love Ricers MPG and I hate muscles cars MPG, So Mustangs started to attract me.

I was looking around on Craigslist and I found a B-E-A-Utiful Mustang GT 4.6L V8 1996 GT with Cobra rims, Kumo tires, BBK headers and Magnaflow exhaust and with great paint, minor cosmetic issues, It was 1,800$.

I currently have 1,600$ saved up and my parents agreed to meet me with the last 200$ if I pay it back over my next paychecks

SO.... We decided to look into the car, We found it was a Salvage title, Now rebuilt title. It was crashed 8 years ago, Rebuilt 7 years ago and this guy has had it since it was rebuilt when he was a Sophomore in high school. He paid 4,850$ for it. He bought a new car 7 months ago and it sat for 6 months. We went to test drive it last Thursday and it started right up no problems, he revved the engine a few times, got out and handed me the key. I started it up and killed the engine (Only happened once), He explained it had sat through the winter in his garage for 6 months, probably wasn't a big issue, so I started it up again and it didn't die, we drove it around and it seemed great! Amazing feel, No nobble, knocks, leaks, smoke, nothing!

So we agreed to purchase it, two days later we bought it for 1,800 cash

Here is where it got bad, Two nights ago (the night after we bought it) I went out to mess with the radio, I put the key in the door, opened the door and off went the alarm (around 9pm) The alarm went off for 3 minutes while I scrambled to unplug the battery before it shut off, then i unplugged the battery and went on these forums, Figured out my issue and had some pissed off neighbors/parents.

I didn't think that was bad
but then yesterday morning my father and I took it out to go get the title transferred to our name, My dad was being really kind and decided he would give me a tank of gas to start off with, He put 56 dollars in, 14 gallons and then we noticed gas was coming out of the back! It came right out of where the tube connects to the tank!, After about 50-70 seconds of it coming out, and my Dad swearing his head off it started to come out a little bit on the other side and on two indents in the middle. we wiped it up, got the gas station clerk, cleaned the car for the most part and drove it home. We pulled it into our driveway, called the guy and he said he believes it is a worn out gas tank gasket (???) he said that the winter probably ruined the last one that and not driving the car for 6 months, My Dad was pissed off and told the guy we were taking it back right now, the guy said he understands (seems to be a great guy) and he paid us back for the gas money (20$ without asking how much we spent, and apologized saying it was all he had on him) and my Dad and I drove away from the Mustang, leaving it and the title and all back with the guy and getting our money back

Unfortunately I still want that Mustang, I don't know what it is, I don't want any other, I want This Freaking Car.

Is it worth buying this car back soon for 1,800 again?
Would it be a huge thing to fix the back?
What else should we check if it has been sitting for 6 months?
Is it possible it is just the gasket?

There's no better car for that price around my area.

Thank you everyone, for the help!

http://images.craigslist.org/3K33F73...6a0eb613ce.jpg
Old 04-07-2013, 07:42 AM
DRAGUL
5th Gear Member

The leak from the gas tank was the filler neck gasket. I just bought one as I need to replace mine also. The rubber rots and it starts to leak. Got the gasket at Ford for $20.00 dollars. As for the alarm going off, did you not get any key fobs with the car when you bought it? They sell pretty cheap on Ebay and are easy to program. Owners manual has the info to program if the seller still has it. Unless it is a aftermarket alarm installed in the car. As for your dad returning it, I don't understand. It was a 17 year old car selling for $1,800.00 dollars. What does he expect? A car like this will have issues as it is getting old. What ever you decide good luck. The gas tank issue was a easy fix.

Just looked at the pic, looks real clean.

Last edited by DRAGUL; 04-07-2013 at 07:54 AM.
Old 04-07-2013, 07:51 AM
98mustangkidd
1st Gear Member

I had to replace the filler neck in mine and it fixed that problem. If you look up under where you put the gas in you can see the neck going down into the gas tank, if its got some build up on it and gas of course you need a new one. As for the alarm, I have no clue. It seems like a good deal from what you have said. good luck!
Old 04-07-2013, 08:07 AM
pedalhappy
1st Gear Member

My suggestion to you is go pick up that car right away cause a rolling chassis with a body in that shape and looks that is worth 1800 to me. The car runs... It has a couple flaws... go pay 4000 for one that year and I guarentee it has issues to. Where is this car cause ill buy it if you dont
Old 04-07-2013, 10:56 AM
FrostByte
5th Gear Member

Wut they said!!!!!!!!!!!! ^^^^^^
Old 04-07-2013, 01:09 PM
Chris N

I would buy it before i do and have it shipped too Texas .looks clean no check engine lights on good deal to me get it before its gone
Old 04-07-2013, 04:20 PM
Seabee1993
2nd Gear Member

What they said, hopefully the seller can handle the back and forth.
Old 04-07-2013, 05:00 PM
Vader99

Overreact much? That kind of repair should be expected from a used car that age. And at that price what's to complain about? You're lucky it's running. My 99 had the same issue when I got it. It took around an hour to fix, no big deal really.

Last edited by Vader99; 04-07-2013 at 05:06 PM.
Old 04-07-2013, 05:04 PM
DRAGUL
5th Gear Member

Wish this was closer I would buy it.
Old 04-07-2013, 05:51 PM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

All I have to add is that your Dad way over reacted........ That is such an easy and cheap fix. And if I was the owner of that car their is no way I would sell it to you again for fear that your Dad might stub his toe getting in it and bring it back.
You need to find a new Dad..

Quick Reply: Buying a used Mustang! Need HELP!! PLEASE READ!!