4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Putting fifth generation wheels on a fourth generation Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 10:08 PM
Fred Meyer

Default Putting fifth generation wheels on a fourth generation Mustang

Putting fifth generation wheels on a fourth generation Mustang. More specifically, putting stock 2007 wheels and tires on a 2000 V6 Mustang. I have read that I can't do this, that I would need spacers. What would happen if I tried it without the spacers? Rubbing? Thanks.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:46 PM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

You can do it but the rears look goofy as hell because of the S197 offset. In other words the rear tire is sucked into the wheel well to far and it looks terrible. But people do it all the time not realizing they just made their car look stupid
Old 04-10-2013, 11:12 PM
Luke13
2nd Gear Member

Yeah I've seen it done plenty of times. Your wheels just look tucked up more into the body, noticeable if you look out for stuff like that. Spacers will help solve the problem but then you have to keep a check on keeping the spacers torqued down. Then there are people that will go into the technicalities about how they aren't suitable for performance/aggressive driving because of the different offset.

They'll fit, but aren't 100% made for your car.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:18 AM
ZeroTX
2nd Gear Member

Don't do it, it looks stupid.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:44 PM
Sonic Mustang
Banned

Looks aside, wheel offset means nothing on a straight rear axle. Wheel offest is part of the front suspension geometry and affects handling, steering, tire wear, etc.

Last edited by Sonic Mustang; 04-11-2013 at 12:48 PM.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:59 PM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sonic Mustang
Looks aside, wheel offset means nothing on a straight rear axle. Wheel offest is part of the front suspension geometry and affects handling, steering, tire wear, etc.
I swear you must be the biggest ahole in person Your that guy that always thinks they are the smartest person in the room arn't you?
OP ignore this guys post he is wrong
http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/...jsp?techid=101
Old 04-11-2013, 01:46 PM
gt281

Here is mine when I got it. The wheels are off a newer v6 mustang. You can see how far the rears sit in. The first thing I did was replace them with some that had the correct offset.

Name:  IMG_2073_zpsdc7d3be1.jpg
Views: 454
Size:  90.6 KB
Old 04-11-2013, 05:25 PM
Sonic Mustang
Banned

Originally Posted by BraMas
I swear you must be the biggest ahole in person Your that guy that always thinks they are the smartest person in the room arn't you?
I can tell you one thing with absolute certainty: If you and I are in the same room, I am the smartest guy in the room. Before we get started, let me help you look smarter. You should have written:

"I swear, in person you must be the biggest *******. You're the guy who always thinks he's the smartest person in the room, aren't you?"

If there's one thing I like more than an idiot, it's a cocksure idiot.

Here's what I wrote:

Originally Posted by Sonic Mustang
Here's a quote from the Tire Rack link you provided:

"If the offset of the wheel is not correct for the car, the handling can be adversely affected."

Gee, doesn't that support what I wrote?

Maybe now you explain to everyone how changing the front wheel offset from stock does not affect scrub radius.

Last edited by Sonic Mustang; 04-11-2013 at 05:45 PM.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:22 PM
Fred Meyer

Wow. Yes, that looks bad. Thank you for the picture! It convinced me. I appreciate your time!!!

Originally Posted by gt281
Here is mine when I got it. The wheels are off a newer v6 mustang. You can see how far the rears sit in. The first thing I did was replace them with some that had the correct offset.

Old 04-11-2013, 06:40 PM
Vertigo_GT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by BraMas
In person, he's probably timid and mild as a church-mouse which is why he compesates in the forums with his rude, snide and venomous remarks that cause newcomers to leave thinking they have joined a forum full of ***-hats like him.
Otherwise he really is the baddest **** walking, or posts Steven Hawking style from the hospital bed where his alligator mouth put his parakeet ***.

Quick Reply: Putting fifth generation wheels on a fourth generation Mustang