-   4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang (
-   -   What is the name of this seal coming out of the transmission? (

Aquakitty 04-28-2013 02:02 PM

What is the name of this seal coming out of the transmission?
Hi all, getting a headache trying to figure out what seal this is. The yellow circled one, obviously. I have a 2004 GT 5 speed.

I thought it was this seal but that does not look the same to me, unless the thing circled is not the actual seal?

Also my understanding is this rear output seal is not hard to change (no need to drop tranny) right?

Tranny is Tremec 3650

Seabee1993 04-28-2013 07:18 PM

You'll have to drop the driveshaft, and drain the Trans, and/or just put a catch pan under either way.Its called the rear extension housing seal. Pry the old one out with a seal puller or screwdriver. Replace the seal square to the extension housing bore with a socket which should be slightly smaller than the outside diameter of the seal, tap with rubber mallet til flush. Reassemble and check fluid level and done.

Aquakitty 04-28-2013 08:15 PM

Ahhh thank you much. What a pain trying to find the technical name.

Aquakitty 04-28-2013 08:32 PM

Hmm any idea which one it is? Is it the drive shaft seal?

Seabee1993 04-28-2013 08:52 PM


Theres your part#, same on all models for that year from Ford, and not much more than what you were looking at on O'Reilly. Personally I would go for the OEM part, that and I don't care much for O'Reilly much around my neck of the woods. Good luck!

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:41 PM.