4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Leaky master cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2005, 12:02 AM
sprostang
I ♥ Acer

Default Leaky master cylinder

My car has been in twice for brake fluid leakage on my master cylinder. First time, they just replaced the cap and said it will be just fine. Second time (today) car is back for that and they tell me I need a new master cylinder and said they have seen this happen many times before. But why didnt they fix it right the first time? Why isnt there some kind of recall? Just thought I would let you guys know about this and make sure you check yours out before your warranty is gone. These service a$$holes are just as bad as the salesmen are...
Old 10-05-2005, 01:20 AM
kartracer55
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Leaky master cylinder

Thats BS. Find out what EXACTLY is leaking. Its actually not all that hard to rebuild an MC... its rediculously simply actually. The first time I took one apart I was expecting there to be a bit more. The only thing that I could imagine would be leaking would be either the reservior seals(the ones between the actual m/c and the Plastic reservior) or the piston seals themselves, although it could be a leak where the brake lines connect.

To rebuild one, you just need to order new seals(not too much$$$, just squared off rubber o-rings). take the MC out, and disconect the lines. Drain as much fluid from it as you can. Using a blunt metal dowel, or a big tipped philips head and a rag, drepress the Piston, and gently pry out the retaining clip. SLowly release the piston, and it will pop out. If the 2nd piston doesnt fall out when you tilt it over, shoot compressed air through the rear outlet, and get ready to cath the 2nd piston. Replace the seals, and re assemble. Depress the piston again and replace the retaining clip.

To bench bleed, there are 2 ways... the messy way, and the more "traditional" way. First, mount the MC level in a vice, be careful not to crack it, as its cast aluminum. Fill the reserviors up. The Traditonal way is to connect a small tube/hose to each of the outlets, and loop it back into the reserviors. Pump the piston in and slowly release it. Just keep doing this, until no more bubbles are comming out of the outlet hoses. You now have a bench bled master cylinder. The messy way is to do this in a pan, and squirt the fluid out of the outlets, plug them with your fingers, relaese the piston and repeat, although its a big waste of brake fluid, and doesnt work quite as well.

I would attempt this unless you have a good udnerstanding of how the m/c and the rest of the brake system works, and you havea freind who cou;ld maybe guide you, or at least a chiltons or haynes manual for your car.

Make sure to read the repair manual for specific bits of info on your particular model.

Jim
Old 10-05-2005, 01:35 AM
sprostang
I ♥ Acer

The leak is pretty obvious. When you open the hood and look at the m/c, you see all kinds of seepage around the lines-reservor, etc. Really at this point I really dont care what they have to do to fix it because it is under warranty and I dont have to spend a dime. I do have to say (kartracer55) the paragraph you wrote is very good and im sure will be helpful for me in the future if needed. Thanks.
Old 10-05-2005, 01:55 AM
kartracer55
3rd Gear Member

Sounds like you might have a cracker reservior or you just need new seals all around, but hell, if its under warantee, ask for a whole new one

As for the paragraph, Im always happy to share what I know, because I like when others share what they know.

Jim
Old 10-05-2005, 02:02 AM
sprostang
I ♥ Acer

They said everything is gonna be new, but we will see. ill get it back tomorrow and see. Thanks again for the info...