4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

clunks and rattles... normal nvh?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 05:16 AM
FlamingoGT
2nd Gear Member

Default clunks and rattles... normal nvh?

I just installed new struts and MM CC plates. I know I am going to get some noise, but this is way more than how I interpreted MM's faq. Basically any bump I go over there is a big thunk that can just about be felt as well as heard. The faster I am going, the less the thunk (or at least less heard).
I won't say I am sure I installed everything correctly, but all the bolts are tight and the alignment shop said everything is fine too.
Could it be the tie rod ends or ball joints, or even the control arm bushings? Everything else on the front end is stock, 04GT with about 125K miles.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:51 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

What struts? How much is your car lowered, what springs?
Old 05-13-2013, 04:00 PM
FlamingoGT
2nd Gear Member

Strange 10 way adjustable, started with them at 6 clicks and now have them at 4 clicks. (manu suggests 2 for drag, 4-6 for dd, 7-8 track... which is close enough to what others have also said they run theirs at)
Original stock springs/ride height (125k miles and ~10 years I don't know how 'stock' the ride height really is, but everything else is as it came from Ford... I just replaced the original struts here, so I don't really have anything to compare these Stranges to).
And I also got new tires... but it was making these noises when I was going to get the tires/alignment.

Last edited by FlamingoGT; 05-13-2013 at 04:03 PM. Reason: added some more details
Old 05-13-2013, 04:36 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

I had a set of "Strange" struts and shocks--they sure were--noisy and harsh. I

took them off and sold 'em on eBay...
Old 05-13-2013, 04:44 PM
FlamingoGT
2nd Gear Member

I'm sure I have seen it at one time or another, but what struts/shocks do you currently run?
Old 05-13-2013, 04:58 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by FlamingoGT
I'm sure I have seen it at one time or another, but what struts/shocks do you currently run?
Gabriel Ultra from Autozone. More firm and controlled than stock, but not bone-jarring; and with a lifetime warranty--I am on my 3rd set, new shocks for free every 35k miles is a pretty good deal. (it's easy to get a new set as the Gabriel box says they should be replaced every 30k)
Old 05-18-2013, 04:58 PM
FlamingoGT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk
I had a set of "Strange" struts and shocks--they sure were--noisy and harsh. I

took them off and sold 'em on eBay...
Went to MM's site and was reading up on the CC plates. Came across a note concerning Strange struts:
Strange struts: For unknown reasons, Strange makes their strut shaft undersized. It is 0.619" in diameter instead of the standard Mustang size of 0.629" (16mm). This allows the strut shaft to move within the 16mm spherical bearing, causing noise, unless the strut shaft retaining nut is extremely tight.

This is in the tech section and not the installation section. I wish I had seen this a few weeks ago before I was talked into getting the struts.

So anyways, I got a set of the Gabriel Ultras as an inexpensive fix for the noise issue until I decide to go further with the front end work. Get the Stranges out and the Gabriels in, and discover the threaded section is not long enough to mount up with the MM CC plates. Being Saturday, MM is closed so I can't ask them (I did send them an email, but won't get an answer until at least Monday). I hunted around trying to find something that would work for a spacer, and came across some split-style lock washers that I installed for the moment. It definitely is a lot quieter now.

Now to see what MM says...
Old 05-19-2013, 09:21 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

That is odd, I have Gabriel Ultras on my '03, with Steeda CC plates, and had to use a spacer?

Old 05-19-2013, 12:47 PM
FlamingoGT
2nd Gear Member

Hope these pics come through...
The mounted one is the Gabriel; the spacer closest to the CC spherical bearing is the one provided by MM, the 2 pieces between that and the strut nut are the split-type lock washers that I installed as additional spacers. The nut is tightened down almost to the bottom of the threads on the piston rod, and the tape measure is showing that it is almost 1" from the bottom of the thread to the top of the piston rod.
The other picture has the OE strut (slightly rustier piston rod) and the Strange strut.. showing that from the bottom of their threads to the top of the piston rods is closer to 1.5" each.
I am going to take one of the Strange struts into work with me tomorrow and take a caliper to the piston rod just to see if what MM said is true (not that I doubt them).
Attached Thumbnails clunks and rattles... normal nvh?-img-1.jpg   clunks and rattles... normal nvh?-img-2.jpg  
Old 05-19-2013, 01:36 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

I don't see anything wrong in the photo of the mounted Gabriel strut--the nut is fully engaged with the strut's threads, and as long as it is torqued properly that it looks good to go to me.

The spec is 74 lb-ft but it really doesn't need to be that tight--50 to 60 lb-ft is fine...

Quick Reply: clunks and rattles... normal nvh?