4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

help please!

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 11:59 PM
jjstandardz
1st Gear Member

Default help please!

ok guys i noticed my steering making some noise a few weeks ago so i filled the power steering reservoir(it was pretty low) and now i have started to notice some spots in my garage and such so i checked it again its its halfway empty already.

is a power steering leak hard to diagnose/fix? should i take it to a shop and have it checked out?

also my car has been blowing out puffs of white smoke whenever i take off from an intersection or a stop, my girlfriends brother in law thinks that i have some leaky valve seals and am burning oil

i do have an offroad x pipe and i noticed a little smoke when i first installed it a year ago but not as much as i am seeing now. Does anybody else have any opinions?

any help is appreciated, i know you guys know your mustangs so thought you might have some insight

the car is an 02 gt with 133k miles
Old 05-27-2013, 09:52 AM
Stevo86
3rd Gear Member

Power steering leaks are easy to diagnose and depending on where it is coming from fairly easy to fix. My money is on a bad seal in the pump or some old hoses have just started to leak. Just crawl under there and find the highest point that is wet.
If you still can't figure it out clean all the old fluid off with some parts cleaner and refill the reservoir. Check back after a bit of driving and you should be able to see it clearly.

Blue smoke is oil burning, white smoke is usually coolant. Are you certain it is smoke and not vapor? How long does it hang in the air? If it is white smoke out of the tailpipe that usually means you have a bad head gasket or intake manifold (or gasket) You can rent an inexpensive cooling system pressure tester at many auto parts stores to check. To rule out these two #1 check there is no coolant in the oil and vice-versa and #2 ensure that your engine can hold 15-16 psi of cooling system pressure.
Old 05-29-2013, 11:27 AM
jjstandardz
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stevo86
Power steering leaks are easy to diagnose and depending on where it is coming from fairly easy to fix. My money is on a bad seal in the pump or some old hoses have just started to leak. Just crawl under there and find the highest point that is wet.
If you still can't figure it out clean all the old fluid off with some parts cleaner and refill the reservoir. Check back after a bit of driving and you should be able to see it clearly.

Blue smoke is oil burning, white smoke is usually coolant. Are you certain it is smoke and not vapor? How long does it hang in the air? If it is white smoke out of the tailpipe that usually means you have a bad head gasket or intake manifold (or gasket) You can rent an inexpensive cooling system pressure tester at many auto parts stores to check. To rule out these two #1 check there is no coolant in the oil and vice-versa and #2 ensure that your engine can hold 15-16 psi of cooling system pressure.
ok thanks!

do these cooling system pressure testers come with instructions?

i dont think theres any oil in the coolant and vice versa, the fluids look normal to me.

my coolant was pretty low today, so im not sure if i have a coolant leak or power steering leak, or if its just the coolant burning off or something.

im pretty sure its smoke because it comes out quite a bit but disapears pretty quickly to