4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

New to me car

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 08:30 AM
Helo-tech

Default New to me car

Hey guys, I just picked up my NTM '99 GT convertible. the car has 150,000 miles on it but seems to run really well. I'm trying to perform some maintenance on it that I have no idea when or if it's been done last. here's a list of my plans so far, please let me know if I missed anything.

1. clean 150,000 miles of crud off the engine. (done)
2. replaced the air filter. (done)
3. changed the oil/filter. (done)
4. change the spark plugs.
5. check brakes all the way around.
6. service the transmission.
7. service the rear end.
8. replace the serp. belt.
9. replace the fuel filter.
10. clean the MAF.
11. clean the throttle body.
12. repair the odometer display (randomly works when it wants to)

I am also going to be replacing the ragtop because I want to change colors and it has a couple small holes in the outer liner.

If you see anything that I missed that should or has to be done, let me know.

thanks,
Old 05-29-2013, 09:40 AM
SteamyCoffee88

You'll probably want to swap out the suspension too; new struts/shocks
Old 05-29-2013, 10:42 AM
Seabee1993
2nd Gear Member

FYI, if you get a chiltons, it has an entire chapter on PM and at what intervals.
I lucked out with my 2000, still has all the original paperwork.
Old 06-03-2013, 11:58 PM
SXGT
5th Gear Member

post pictures : )
Old 06-04-2013, 07:19 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Be carefull with spark plugs, those heads are known for stripping out the plug wells.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:59 AM
Vertigo_GT
2nd Gear Member

Also check the boots on the plugs. I guess that's a no-brainer. When you post pics, throw in a few of your 66 Mustang too!
Old 06-04-2013, 09:23 AM
Helo-tech

thanks guys, I'll get some pictures up but I want to wait till I've got the new black rag top on it first, the beige is so "FUGLY" I hate for anyone to see it. I'll be starting the new top install tomorrow evening after work. speaking of which, I don't know why but this intimidates the hell out of me, I have no problem stripping a car down to "parade rest" and doing a frame off restoration on one ('81 corvette in progress now), but this makes me nervous----more on to come on that one.

so far I've spent lots of time and some money chasing down a miss, the car has 150,000 miles on it and I don't think anything has been done to it but being driven. I've managed to make the miss some better but it's still there. I started with the plugs (which I'm sure were original) and had a minimum of .085 gap and more on them, then I had at least one dead COP (replaced all of them with accell's), I replaced the fuel filter (again original) and when I poured out what fuel was left in it---it looked like mud, so now I've got some rebuilt 24# injectors on the way, hopefully that will fix the miss.

my next issue was a slight clunk under the car when accellerating or decellerating, tracked that down to the transmission crossmember being broken, replaced it and the clunk is gone.

another issue was the odometer only worked when it wanted to, I pulled the cluster out and reseated all the connections, now it works like it's supposed to.

It's funny, but it drives me insane when someone gets a car and just drives it but never does anything to maintain it. now I'm undoing 14 years and 150,000 miles of neglect.
Old 06-04-2013, 09:41 AM
Vertigo_GT
2nd Gear Member

Wow! I hope the previous owner doesnt have pets....or kids.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:07 AM
Gary Ugarek
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Helo-tech
thanks guys, I'll get some pictures up but I want to wait till I've got the new black rag top on it first, the beige is so "FUGLY" I hate for anyone to see it. I'll be starting the new top install tomorrow evening after work. speaking of which, I don't know why but this intimidates the hell out of me, I have no problem stripping a car down to "parade rest" and doing a frame off restoration on one ('81 corvette in progress now), but this makes me nervous----more on to come on that one.

so far I've spent lots of time and some money chasing down a miss, the car has 150,000 miles on it and I don't think anything has been done to it but being driven. I've managed to make the miss some better but it's still there. I started with the plugs (which I'm sure were original) and had a minimum of .085 gap and more on them, then I had at least one dead COP (replaced all of them with accell's), I replaced the fuel filter (again original) and when I poured out what fuel was left in it---it looked like mud, so now I've got some rebuilt 24# injectors on the way, hopefully that will fix the miss.

my next issue was a slight clunk under the car when accellerating or decellerating, tracked that down to the transmission crossmember being broken, replaced it and the clunk is gone.

another issue was the odometer only worked when it wanted to, I pulled the cluster out and reseated all the connections, now it works like it's supposed to.

It's funny, but it drives me insane when someone gets a car and just drives it but never does anything to maintain it. now I'm undoing 14 years and 150,000 miles of neglect.
I know how you feel about neglect. While the 2000 I picked up wasn't completely neglected, it wasn't given the proper love and attention it needed. So I am doing that to it.

I so want to see pics. I did a thread on my 2000 rebuild in 3 weeks I took it from near disaster to dignity restored and I am sure you're going to do the same.

Also, if you can post part #'s and cost of parts on what you had to fix, especially the gauge cluster. I know my odomoeter display goes out if I hit a bump, I just tap on the cluster glass and it comes back on. I assume loose connection.

Congrats on the purchase and I have subscribed to follow along.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:32 AM
Helo-tech

Hey Gary, the odometer was fairly simple, just remove the trim from around your gauges (a couple screws and clips), then there are 4 screws holding the cluster in the dash, carefully pull the cluster out and disconnect the two wire harness from the back. look at the back of the cluster, you will see a small "ribbon cable" of about 6 or so wires, carefully take the connector off the pins then re-insert it. then put the cluster back together. I read on here that sometimes there is a broken solder joint on the circuit board that can cause the same issues but I didn't see one, it was just a dirty/corroded connection. took about 30 mins to do from start to finish.

Quick Reply: New to me car