4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Are these good mods?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 10:10 PM
sweetprice7

Default Are these good mods?

Hey guys I have a 2003 mustang gt automatic. This summer I will be getting a summer job working 30-40 hours a week. Proberly getting $3000 for the summer. I was looking at getting some mods for the stang. I currently have a borla exhaust, cai, and a maf air flow sensor. I was looking at getting new gears, driveshaft, shift kit, automatic valve body, throttle body and plenum, motor mounts, underdrive pulleys, oxygen sensor, msd coils, and either headers or intake manifold, and a bama tuner. Are these good mods to get?
Old 06-02-2013, 10:27 PM
GT Rick
1st Gear Member

The gears will give your the most noticeable change.
Old 06-02-2013, 10:31 PM
sweetprice7

How much horsepower gains do you think I could see from all these mods and how much of an improvement will I see in my 0-60 time
Old 06-03-2013, 06:14 AM
xx10Gt
4th Gear Member

you will not see huge gains with the throttle body and plenum, motor mounts. i have to ask why the o2 sensors? did you have a problem with yours?

Here is what I would do if i had 3,000 to spend (performance only):

4.10 gear kit. comes with tuner, seals, bearings, etc. (about $700)

-you could get Lts with a shorty midpipe for about a grand depending on quality/brand you choose.

-Cams (probably about 800) depending on what brand, again.

All that would be close enough to 3,000 and that would yield the biggest gains. IMO, youre not putting down enough power to change out your driveshaft (unless you feel vibrations, noises, etc)

You could also use some money for preventive maintenance. Fuel filter, oil change, tranny fluid change, spark plugs, clean your air filter, clean your TB, etc.

hope this helps!
Old 06-03-2013, 10:18 AM
AMDanBailer
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by sweetprice7
Hey guys I have a 2003 mustang gt automatic. This summer I will be getting a summer job working 30-40 hours a week. Proberly getting $3000 for the summer. I was looking at getting some mods for the stang. I currently have a borla exhaust, cai, and a maf air flow sensor. I was looking at getting new gears, driveshaft, shift kit, automatic valve body, throttle body and plenum, motor mounts, underdrive pulleys, oxygen sensor, msd coils, and either headers or intake manifold, and a bama tuner. Are these good mods to get?
Looks like you have some awesome plans for your New edge! All of these mods will definitely insure that your GT is pretty nasty.

I would start with Gears, Headers and a Bama tune! This will guarantee a ton of power, torque, acceleration, drive ability, throttle response and much more. Please let me know if you have any questions or need some assistance in the near future!

Our Mustang Experts are here Monday-Friday from 9AM-9PM EST and Saturdays from 9AM-5:30PM EST. If you want to hit them up, their number is 866.727.1266. I can also have one of them call you directly.

-Dan
Old 06-03-2013, 11:23 AM
Sonic Mustang
Banned

I don't know about the 4.6 2V, but a cold air intake is a waste of money on a 4.6 DOHC unless you're making some serious power. I'd double check on the effectiveness of CAIs and aftermarket MAFs. Maybe they work OK on the 2V engines with an aftermarket intake.

Stick with stock COPs.

I think the stock GT has 3.27 gears. I'm not into drag racing and I really like the stock 3.55s on my Mach 1. I've driven a 2001 GT with 3.55s and a 2002 with 3.73s and either would suit me.

More importantly, you started another thread asking how fast you could corner before spinning out. If you don't have much driving experience, spending the cash on a high performance driving school may be a better bet.

Personally, I'd start with handling:

1. Full length welded subframe connectors

2. Springs and shocks and Caster Camber plates if the springs require them.

3. Lower Control Arms (rear)

4. Tires or wheels/tires.
Old 06-03-2013, 05:26 PM
T.Richardson
1st Gear Member

Why you getting a drive shaft, o2 sensor, and motor mounts?

and if I were to spend 3k on my car, I would spend it on long tube headers, cams, 3.55 gears, tuner, heads, and intake.
Old 06-03-2013, 07:33 PM
moncherou

out of that list, underdrives, gears, tb/plenum would be the ones to get. motor mounts, o2 sensor, coils and intake manifold won't do much if anything for you.

you could save a little more for a supercharger which will do more than anything you could practically do naturally aspirated. but if you have a lot of miles on her, don't get the s/c.

also subframes were one of the best mods I did as Sonic pointed out. you wont go any faster but it really improves how the car feels and makes it much more solid overall.

Last edited by moncherou; 06-03-2013 at 07:35 PM. Reason: added