4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.
Old 10-27-2015, 11:05 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrain
Print Wikipost

Exhaust? Rattling Engine Noise Help

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 04:39 PM
WhiteFaleen2001
2nd Gear Member

Default Exhaust? Rattling Engine Noise Help

Hello,

After getting on it one day, I started hearing a rattling noise coming from my lower engine area, more towards the driver's side. It doesn't matter if its in gear or neutral. It seems to only rattle at a specific rpm, which makes me believe it has to do with a certain vibration range. I have had exhaust leaks before and it doesn't sound like one I have ever experienced. When I get on it hard, there doesn't seem to be any loss of power and when the rattling is not there, the exhaust sounds leak free. Does anyone have any idea what this might be or have you encountered anything like this before? Thank you.

Regards,
Peter

new video:

Last edited by WhiteFaleen2001; 07-29-2013 at 02:56 PM.
Old 06-22-2013, 12:43 AM
04Blue281

A long shot here on this idea, but ---- are all the spark plugs still "properly" tightened? Just something to check (on a cold engine) --- before you blow a plug out of failed threads.
Old 06-22-2013, 01:55 AM
SyNdicateZ
3rd Gear Member

It's your catalytic converter. Needs replacing. The insides are worn out and making a metel rattle sound.
Old 06-22-2013, 05:23 AM
petrock
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SyNdicateZ
It's your catalytic converter. Needs replacing. The insides are worn out and making a metel rattle sound.
While that is a possibility, there is no way to definitively know its the cat from reading a post on the intertubes. The possibilities for the noise are almost endless. The rattle could be a loose heat shield, something hitting the exhaust pipe, a loose/broken pipe, bad cat internals, bad muffler internals... the list goes on. The only way to truly diagnose it is to get under the car (with the car off) and start banging all over the exhaust with the palm of your hand, all while listening for the rattle. If the rattle is in the exhaust, you should narrow it down pretty quickly this way. Good luck...
Old 06-24-2013, 11:32 AM
WhiteFaleen2001
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by petrock
While that is a possibility, there is no way to definitively know its the cat from reading a post on the intertubes. The possibilities for the noise are almost endless. The rattle could be a loose heat shield, something hitting the exhaust pipe, a loose/broken pipe, bad cat internals, bad muffler internals... the list goes on. The only way to truly diagnose it is to get under the car (with the car off) and start banging all over the exhaust with the palm of your hand, all while listening for the rattle. If the rattle is in the exhaust, you should narrow it down pretty quickly this way. Good luck...
I have a video link at the bottom of my main post hoping that people could take a look at that and also compare it to my description in order to try and figure out best what the noise could be, thanks! Let me know if I need to re-link it.
Old 06-24-2013, 01:21 PM
j-town_edge
1st Gear Member

My .02 says it's a heat shield. I listened to that noise and my money is on a heat shield. Whenever I've had issues with rattling like regardless of certain rpms, I'd take a look there. They get loose quite often. You can re-tighten it or get rid of it and wrap some of the exhaust, if that's what's giving you the noise.
Old 07-15-2013, 05:02 PM
WhiteFaleen2001
2nd Gear Member

Alright sorry for the delay. So I tried adjusting my midpipe. It still continued to rattle. I changed my oil and swapped out my midpipe back to stock. The rattle is still there. Where does that leave me?
Old 07-16-2013, 10:47 AM
j-town_edge
1st Gear Member

Did you check your heat shields to make sure they aren't loose?
Old 07-17-2013, 06:39 PM
WhiteFaleen2001
2nd Gear Member

Forgive me if I seem naive or uniformed, but do the heat shields surround the cats? If not, what are the heat shields. Thanks!
Old 07-18-2013, 06:47 AM
j-town_edge
1st Gear Member

Don't know for sure but heat shields are usually overtop the exhaust manifolds (providing you haven't swapped aftermarket headers on) just look like cheap sheet metal or athin aluminum covering the manifold and/or other items along the exhaust system. Not sure if stang's have them anywhere else other than the manifold.

Quick Reply: Exhaust? Rattling Engine Noise Help