4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

oil leak after oil change droping near midpipe

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2013, 04:09 PM
highroller02
1st Gear Member

ok, but is there not 2 places to put gear oil? one in the differential and one closer to gear box?
Old 07-04-2013, 04:46 PM
FlamingoGT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by highroller02
Im ruling out the oil dispenser got loose theory. It was dripping for about 3 days after every drive. Dear god I hope no catastrophe will occur. Im about to go out for a Fourth of July Drive, hopefully she survives. I did have a local shop unscrew trans drain/fill plug. Oil did not gush out but rather slowly drained. The guy said that's what it was supposed to do. Is this the proper way to check the fluid I was leaking?
Slowly drained from where? If you are talking about the drain plug, it should basically gush out of there. If you are talking about the fill plug, no fluid should drain out of there at all.

Properly filled level will be about an inch below the bottom of the fill plug.
Old 07-04-2013, 04:52 PM
FlamingoGT
2nd Gear Member

ok, but is there not 2 places to put gear oil? one in the differential and one closer to gear box?
Not unless you have a 4x4 lol....

For the Mustang, the only place you use gear oil is the diff.
Old 07-04-2013, 06:24 PM
highroller02
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by DJINN n TONIC
Agreed.....Gear oil will make very short life of a stick box. trans itself uses ATF.

Check the back of your valve covers, the gallery plugs at the back of the heads, or , if all else fails, and the leak subsided, the oil dispenser got loose and "ran a Muck" while the guy was filling your oil.

From a technicians point of view, if it isnt leaking anymore, it was either residue, or its EMPTY....CHECK YOUR FLUID LEVELS!!!!!

I know its of no consequence, but the old 5.0's would leak miserably at the back of the intake manifolds and run straight down onto the bellhousing and run off to the ground. Then it would suddenly just stop leaking, just before Catastrophy struck.

I revoke my previous statements about disagreeing with the oil dispenser "running a muck". however you would think most of it would fall to the floor after one sitting. Maybe that's what it is.

haha ok, well check this out then. The plug must of been a fill plug. However It has to be in the worst place ever to be a fill plug. It was a threaded square bit I think.

So I was previously convinced this was gear oil. Being that the gear oil is all the way back in differential, then I have to rule that out. Which only means this is motor oil sitting on top of my shifter assembly.
Old 07-04-2013, 06:31 PM
DJINN n TONIC

I'm guessing you have pulled the dipstick and actually CHECKED the motor oil????
Old 07-04-2013, 09:23 PM
highroller02
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by DJINN n TONIC
I'm guessing you have pulled the dipstick and actually CHECKED the motor oil????
yea dipstick is sitting on full. it was not leaking that much. Id say like 10-15 drops after each drive. It has not been dripping today. I do occasionally have some oil sitting on passanger side valve cover in the cylinder hole closest to interior. If that makes sense. I soaked it up and haven't seen it since.
Old 07-05-2013, 02:04 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

No, because the gear box "transmission" DOES NOT use gear oil, it uses automatic transmission fluid. The gear box and different are not mated to eachother. The only place gear fluid goes is in the rear axle. Its impossible for there to be gear oil on your shifter unless some jackwagon poured it their.