4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

What size hoist?

Old 07-07-2013, 04:07 AM
successlife2013

Default What size hoist?

Will 1000lb hoist be enough to hold 04 gt engine?
Old 07-07-2013, 10:29 AM
DJINN n TONIC

Yes....and no..

After all these years of Wrenching, I finally broke down and bought a Hoist of my own. Just something simple for the rare few times in a 5 year span that I need one. Its 1000 lbs, foldable, sits in the corner when not in use........and with a 100 dollar price tag it more than suits my needs.

Now ..the weight capacity is more than enough, but ........The "Boom" was way too short. the hoist hit the front bumper ,long before the boom was over the engine.

The workarounds ....1) Go to a hardware or home center, and buy a longer piece of "Box Channel" the appropriate size , drill it out to accept the chain and hook bolt on one end, and use your newer "Homemade " boom instead of the one with the hoist. Drawback here, is you need someone to Stand on the back of the hoist , or it will "Tip-Over" from the added length.
OR...2).... Put the car up on jackstands, remove the front right wheel.... Put a blanket over the right front fender, and pull the motor up and out from the SIDE of the car.... Again the drawback here is if your pulling motor and trans together..."Aint gonna happen this way"....

Last edited by DJINN n TONIC; 07-07-2013 at 10:32 AM.
Old 07-07-2013, 12:57 PM
JC316
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by successlife2013
Will 1000lb hoist be enough to hold 04 gt engine?
Yes, it will be fine.

Originally Posted by DJINN n TONIC
Yes....and no..

After all these years of Wrenching, I finally broke down and bought a Hoist of my own. Just something simple for the rare few times in a 5 year span that I need one. Its 1000 lbs, foldable, sits in the corner when not in use........and with a 100 dollar price tag it more than suits my needs.

Now ..the weight capacity is more than enough, but ........The "Boom" was way too short. the hoist hit the front bumper ,long before the boom was over the engine.

The workarounds ....1) Go to a hardware or home center, and buy a longer piece of "Box Channel" the appropriate size , drill it out to accept the chain and hook bolt on one end, and use your newer "Homemade " boom instead of the one with the hoist. Drawback here, is you need someone to Stand on the back of the hoist , or it will "Tip-Over" from the added length.
OR...2).... Put the car up on jackstands, remove the front right wheel.... Put a blanket over the right front fender, and pull the motor up and out from the SIDE of the car.... Again the drawback here is if your pulling motor and trans together..."Aint gonna happen this way"....
That isn't exactly safe lol. The one that I got from northern tool will reach from the front for taking it out, but has to be readjusted for putting it back in. I built an A frame style hoist for the longer hood style cars.
Old 07-07-2013, 03:45 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

I have a 1000lb harbor freight $100 hoise and I've pulled about a 10 motors with it so far without issue, about 3 in and outs in my own mustang and the boom was plenty long enough.
Old 07-07-2013, 05:36 PM
DJINN n TONIC

That isn't exactly safe lol.
It was fine with a 400 lb brother in law standing on the hoist....

So far Ive only pulled the motor out.. I was in a bind, it was starting to rain , and my helper wasnt gonna be available for two more weeks if I didnt get this done "NOW".

I picked it out from over the passenger side fender with the equipment the way it was out of the box. It worked out fine, But I still would have liked the conventional "Out The Front Approach."

Anyway ..to answer your Q...Yes 1000 lb is plenty.
Old 07-07-2013, 05:51 PM
DJINN n TONIC

I have a 1000lb harbor freight $100 hoise and I've pulled about a 10 motors with it so far without issue, about 3 in and outs in my own mustang and the boom was plenty long enough.
I came to find out after the fact, that if I had Given up the "Foldable" option, the boom on the standard model was about a foot and a half longer, (Which would have gotten me more than enough to do what I needed to) Im not by any means talking about the actual Pivot and upper arm......Only a fool would modify that...I was taliking about the "Extension" that slides into the boom. I ran out of bolt holes. Now I realize that changing the overall boom length requires extending the legs too, but as I said , I was in a jam, and needed this done "NOW".
Old 07-07-2013, 07:06 PM
JC316
4th Gear Member

It was fine with a 400 lb brother in law standing on the hoist....

So far Ive only pulled the motor out.. I was in a bind, it was starting to rain , and my helper wasnt gonna be available for two more weeks if I didnt get this done "NOW".
Ah, yeah, a 400lbs counter weight makes it a little better. Wouldn't dare try it with my 180lbs.

I came to find out after the fact, that if I had Given up the "Foldable" option, the boom on the standard model was about a foot and a half longer, (Which would have gotten me more than enough to do what I needed to) Im not by any means talking about the actual Pivot and upper arm......Only a fool would modify that...I was taliking about the "Extension" that slides into the boom. I ran out of bolt holes. Now I realize that changing the overall boom length requires extending the legs too, but as I said , I was in a jam, and needed this done "NOW".
Mine is foldable too, but it's a 1 ton, so it's a good bit bigger.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:45 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Mines 1000lb foldable,still no issues.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:36 PM
FlamingoGT
2nd Gear Member

You do realize that extending the boom you are dealing with more issues than just the legs not being long enough.
Depending on the material and construction of your extended boom, it may not be strong enough for the weight you are lifting.
That 1000 lbs (or whatever the listed limit is) is based on the length of the given beam. When you extend that beam further than it was intended, you reduce the limit of what the structure will safely support. I don't remember the exact formula off the top of my head, but simple mechanics will tell you that this is so.
Old 07-08-2013, 04:03 PM
successlife2013

Thnak you guys for your help

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What size hoist?