4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

HELP with this mustang

Old 07-29-2013, 03:33 PM
the5schlueters
1st Gear Member

Default HELP with this mustang

I have a 96 gt conv. that I want to kinda trick out. I want some power and some style lol. I have built many fast cars and what not over the years just never messed with the 4.6l. Here is what I got I bought the bbk 78mm tb the bbk cold air intake and some uridium plugs. I ordered a set of romeo pi heads and getting ready to order the intake manifold to do the pi swap. I am looking at superchargers and turbos. which one do you recommend SC or turbo? on ebay the twin turbo kits are not bad priced but I dont know if they are junk or not. the car has 115k on it should I rebuild it from the bottom up before giving it forced induction or will it hold up? It runs great and sound great. just getting a little lost here and want to put the money in the right places. am I going to have a compression issue with the pi heads? I also ordered lowering spring and struts, slotted rotors (so I can stop lol) here are a couple pictures of it.

Old 07-29-2013, 03:49 PM
antwaan
3rd Gear Member

I've read where people discourage running F/I on a pi swapped motor but most people say running low boost is fine.

Don't forget gears.
Old 07-29-2013, 06:33 PM
the5schlueters
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by antwaan
I've read where people discourage running F/I on a pi swapped motor but most people say running low boost is fine.

Don't forget gears.
Do you know what it changes the compression to?
Old 07-29-2013, 06:56 PM
Stevo86
3rd Gear Member

High 9's maybe 10:1 you would have to do the math to be certain. It's all a matter of budget really. If you have the money then by all means build the short block and hit it with the boost. Don't forget the supporting fuel mods etc.

Just a quick tip as well if you don't have any experience with mod motors don't forget to properly torque the spark plugs. Every other engine I just put them in, but these engines are notorious for blowing out plugs which is a huge hassle. 12-15ft lbs is what they should be at.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:53 PM
the5schlueters
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stevo86
High 9's maybe 10:1 you would have to do the math to be certain. It's all a matter of budget really. If you have the money then by all means build the short block and hit it with the boost. Don't forget the supporting fuel mods etc.

Just a quick tip as well if you don't have any experience with mod motors don't forget to properly torque the spark plugs. Every other engine I just put them in, but these engines are notorious for blowing out plugs which is a huge hassle. 12-15ft lbs is what they should be at.
Good to know thanks. forgot about the 5.4 and 4.6 plug issue.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:02 PM
school boy
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by the5schlueters
Do you know what it changes the compression to?
stevo is close, pi swapped cars are right at 10.5 to 1. boost can be run but at low levels. With higher compression, it takes less boost to make the same hp as a low compression engine.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:35 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Here's an option:

http://www.uprproducts.com/hellion-96-98-gt-turbo.html

Of course, I'd recommend upgrading the rest of your suspension too.
Old 07-30-2013, 01:57 PM
the5schlueters
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by UPRSharad
Here's an option:

http://www.uprproducts.com/hellion-96-98-gt-turbo.html

Of course, I'd recommend upgrading the rest of your suspension too.
Thats a expensive one lol nice tho. Think I am gonna start a little less expensive. It seems like every darn thing that I order has some sort of problem. and to top it off I looked under the car last night and low and behold a pool of trans fluid. Its leaking around the pan gasket. Whoever put the pan on didn't do a very good job gotta fix that today. Was thinking about doing the jmod on it and what not while I got it apart (if everything looks good once I get the pan off). It shifts fine don't slip or anything so I am thinking (praying) its ok. May have to pull it and do the front pump seal and tail seal. will see when I get pan gasket changed gonna do the screen at the same time. apparently they pressure washed it good before I bought it it was clean. But thats the only leak I have found so far.
Old 07-30-2013, 09:04 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by the5schlueters
Thats a expensive one lol nice tho. Think I am gonna start a little less expensive. It seems like every darn thing that I order has some sort of problem. and to top it off I looked under the car last night and low and behold a pool of trans fluid. Its leaking around the pan gasket. Whoever put the pan on didn't do a very good job gotta fix that today. Was thinking about doing the jmod on it and what not while I got it apart (if everything looks good once I get the pan off). It shifts fine don't slip or anything so I am thinking (praying) its ok. May have to pull it and do the front pump seal and tail seal. will see when I get pan gasket changed gonna do the screen at the same time. apparently they pressure washed it good before I bought it it was clean. But thats the only leak I have found so far.
Yeah, I mean, you definitely need to prepare the foundation before you add boost. The entire car is the foundation.
Old 07-31-2013, 12:05 PM
the5schlueters
1st Gear Member

thats my plan I usually work from front to back (motor to rear end) but I think I am going to go from back to front this time.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HELP with this mustang