4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Koni Yellow Sport Shocks vs Tokico Illuminas vs Bilstein HD - with H&R SS springs?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 03:03 PM
kingrukus
2nd Gear Member

Default Koni Yellow Sport Shocks vs Tokico Illuminas vs Bilstein HD - with H&R SS springs?

I currently have Tokico Illuminas Adjustable shocks/struts on my 2000 GT paired with H&R SS springs. I am using the foxbody version in the front of the car.

Anyhow, the car seems to have a lot of body roll / nose dive under hard braking and cornering, yet it is bone jarringly harsh over bumpy roads.

Would switching to either the Koni Yellow Sport adjustable shocks/struts or Bilstien HDs help? Or is the problem with my H&R SS springs?
Old 07-16-2013, 05:55 PM
Sonic Mustang
Banned

I've got H&R SS w/Illumina 5-way adjustable shocks on my Mach 1 and I have absolutely no problem with body roll, dive or lift. I prefer the ride over the stock suspension.

As far as the ride over bumpy roads, who are you kidding? The H&R SS springs lower the car significantly and you're driving on bumpy roads?

I don't know if the Fox Body versions of the struts are your problem, if the shocks are worn out or your settings off. I've been running 5 front 3 rear with great results.

That said, I'll never buy a Tockico shock or strut again. I've owned several sets over the years and when the company Headquarters was in Harbor City, CA, I'd bring in a blown shock for a lifetime replacement warranty claim and never had a problem. If I had one bad one, they'd replace two. If they were out of the HDs, they would give me a free upgrade.

Then Hitachi bought the company. I had a rear Illumina go out on my Mach and called about a warranty replacement. They told me I would have to go back to the original selling dealer. I told them he was out of business. I was then told to return the shock to one of their master dealers. The dealer would send it to Tockico for authorization, then I would pay the difference between wholesale and retail.

I had to raise absolute hell with these idiots reminding them that my lifetime warranty made no mention of paying anything for a replacement and had to threaten them with filing a case in California Small Claims Court plus launching a website called TokicoScrewedMe.com. Finally, they sent out two replacements.

Get the Bilstiens. After my Tockico adventure, I called and double checked their warranty policy and affirmed the shocks are rebuildable at their USA headquarters. Even better, they make a custom valved shock for Maximum Motorsports specially designed for lowered springs.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:03 PM
luke1333
2nd Gear Member

i agree i have bilsteins on all 4 corners and car is completely different after i got rid of stock struts/shocks. car handles like it is on rails and no roll or nose diving. every mustang i own will have bilsteins. top notch man no doubt
Old 07-17-2013, 10:53 PM
kingrukus
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sonic Mustang
I've got H&R SS w/Illumina 5-way adjustable shocks on my Mach 1 and I have absolutely no problem with body roll, dive or lift. I prefer the ride over the stock suspension.

As far as the ride over bumpy roads, who are you kidding? The H&R SS springs lower the car significantly and you're driving on bumpy roads?

I don't know if the Fox Body versions of the struts are your problem, if the shocks are worn out or your settings off. I've been running 5 front 3 rear with great results.

That said, I'll never buy a Tockico shock or strut again. I've owned several sets over the years and when the company Headquarters was in Harbor City, CA, I'd bring in a blown shock for a lifetime replacement warranty claim and never had a problem. If I had one bad one, they'd replace two. If they were out of the HDs, they would give me a free upgrade.

Then Hitachi bought the company. I had a rear Illumina go out on my Mach and called about a warranty replacement. They told me I would have to go back to the original selling dealer. I told them he was out of business. I was then told to return the shock to one of their master dealers. The dealer would send it to Tockico for authorization, then I would pay the difference between wholesale and retail.

I had to raise absolute hell with these idiots reminding them that my lifetime warranty made no mention of paying anything for a replacement and had to threaten them with filing a case in California Small Claims Court plus launching a website called TokicoScrewedMe.com. Finally, they sent out two replacements.

Get the Bilstiens. After my Tockico adventure, I called and double checked their warranty policy and affirmed the shocks are rebuildable at their USA headquarters. Even better, they make a custom valved shock for Maximum Motorsports specially designed for lowered springs.
How does the Bilsteins compare against the Tokicos, when they were both paired with the H&R SS springs? Any differences on rough roads? Any less lift/dive?
Old 07-18-2013, 01:12 AM
Sonic Mustang
Banned

I didn't experience any lift/dive/roll/harshness with Illuminas. I don't understand why you're having these problems unless your shocks are worn out or set on "1". I also was unaware of using Fox Body inserts on New Edges.

Maybe your butt NVH calibration is set in little old lady mode. All I know is my H&R SS / Illumimna combination is less harsh than stock with no pitch or roll problems.

I think the difference between Illuminas and Bilstiens is small. The way Tokico now handles warranty claims makes my Bilstien the choice for me.

Last edited by Sonic Mustang; 07-18-2013 at 01:15 AM.
Old 07-18-2013, 01:41 PM
kingrukus
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sonic Mustang
I didn't experience any lift/dive/roll/harshness with Illuminas. I don't understand why you're having these problems unless your shocks are worn out or set on "1". I also was unaware of using Fox Body inserts on New Edges.

Maybe your butt NVH calibration is set in little old lady mode. All I know is my H&R SS / Illumimna combination is less harsh than stock with no pitch or roll problems.

I think the difference between Illuminas and Bilstiens is small. The way Tokico now handles warranty claims makes my Bilstien the choice for me.
I think you are right - I am likely just too sensitive to all the bumps and such and probably expecting too much in terrible conditions. I live in the middle of downtown Toronto where the streets can be very bad, and having a lowered Mustang in the heart of the city isn't the greatest idea.

I think I will stick with my Tokicos for now, as they do not seem blown...they felt fine when I installed them last summer. The only issue is the **** on one rear shock has fallen off and been lost, so now anytime I want to adjust it I must move ****/dial from one shock to the other...I wonder if Tokico sells replacements? I searched their site, and the web but didn't find anything, and sent them an email but didn't receive a response.
Old 08-01-2013, 03:33 PM
wifes pony
1st Gear Member

you wont be disappointed with the koni brand, at all. my car isn't lowered, but ive ridden in a lot of mustangs, with a lot of different set ups. ill keep with my koni's. proven performance!