4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Best short throw shifter?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2013, 05:30 PM
Cbird

Default Best short throw shifter?

Been looking at some short throws at AmericanMuscle.com and in almost every shifters "reviews" section somebody mentions wishing they had gone with a MGW shifter.

naturally, I start looking into MGW and their website is kinda sketchy. I don't know how I feel about ordering one of those.

What I want is the shortest throws possible, stop missing/grinding third, a "solid" feel.

Any thoughts or input?
Old 08-03-2013, 05:52 PM
xx10Gt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Cbird
Been looking at some short throws at AmericanMuscle.com and in almost every shifters "reviews" section somebody mentions wishing they had gone with a MGW shifter.

naturally, I start looking into MGW and their website is kinda sketchy. I don't know how I feel about ordering one of those.

What I want is the shortest throws possible, stop missing/grinding third, a "solid" feel.

Any thoughts or input?
MGW hands down, no question. while its out, change your transmission fluid. Adjustable shifter and wouldnt look else where, youll be thrilled with it!
Old 08-03-2013, 05:57 PM
bronxbomba63
4th Gear Member

I have Steeda's short throw, and I love it. Easy install, and no problems when going into 3rd.
Old 08-03-2013, 06:27 PM
Cbird

Ordered it. Very good review!

Curious why you should change the fluid while its out? Do you normally have to take off the shifter to change the fluid anyway?

My "lower" shift boot seems to be in bad shape. Not sure what to call that, a gasket perhaps. It's ripped, I can hear air "wooshing" under me, and I can feel heat coming up from under the car. Where can I order a replacement?

Ohh and is MGWltd.com the website to order from?
Old 08-03-2013, 06:57 PM
xx10Gt
4th Gear Member

Ordered it. Very good review!

Curious why you should change the fluid while its out? Do you normally have to take off the shifter to change the fluid anyway?

My "lower" shift boot seems to be in bad shape. Not sure what to call that, a gasket perhaps. It's ripped, I can hear air "wooshing" under me, and I can feel heat coming up from under the car. Where can I order a replacement?

Ohh and is MGWltd.com the website to order from?
You can get it siphoned but you need the pump to do it and its way easier to do it while the shifter is out. and i changed mine on my '99 cobra when i did the install. it only has 15k miles on it but i used mobil synthetic ATF and now it shifts like a dream, the shifter is solid and so well made. When you get the stock shifter off, you can pull the drain plug on the tranny and let it drain as best as you can. put the plug in and fill right into the shifter hole. Also, make sure you look at how much your tranny takes, i think a couple of them range a little bit.. my cobra took 3.2 qts.

As for the gasket, im not too sure but i used the gasket mgw sent me, also they send you cobra bob shift gaskets (silicon) instead of using the rtv paste stuff incase you need to remove it down the line.

yes that is the correct site. just follow the instructions and you'll be okay, not as hard as i thought
Old 08-03-2013, 07:21 PM
Cbird

Nice! I want Synthetic fluid now haha. I'll have to ask the TR-3650 guys how much out trannys take. When you remove the shifter you just dump it in from there? This is my first manual transmission, not quite sure how they are built.

What tools do you need for the tranny drain plug? Seemed to be an "inny" rather than an "Outie" like the oil plug.

Thanks for all the help guys!
Old 08-03-2013, 08:17 PM
xx10Gt
4th Gear Member

Nice! I want Synthetic fluid now haha. I'll have to ask the TR-3650 guys how much out trannys take. When you remove the shifter you just dump it in from there? This is my first manual transmission, not quite sure how they are built.

What tools do you need for the tranny drain plug? Seemed to be an "inny" rather than an "Outie" like the oil plug.

no problem man. Many people say dont use synthetic, some say use it. its 50/50... but i know plenty of people on here (very reputable) that have beaten on the tranny with synth fluid and they love it, no problems so i used it.
Yes you can dump it right in there.. just dont spill any in the interior or trim.

3/8 ratchet extension to take it out... at least it was on my t-45 but im pretty sure its the same for the 3650 as well, keep us posted!
Old 08-04-2013, 08:25 PM
FlamingoGT
2nd Gear Member

Yes, just a 3/8 extension will do it. Also the short answer is 3 qts... the longer answer is 3 liters, which is 3.19 qts; but that extra .19 qt isn't worth worrying about. You don't have to replace the fluid through the shifter area; it is just a LOT easier to do it that way, especially as you will have the shifter out anyway.

Personally I use Mobil1 ATF, which happens to be the fluid the tranny maker recommends also.
Old 08-05-2013, 08:40 PM
Cbird

This might be a stupid question but why is it called "auto tranny fluid" if it goes in both auto's and manuals?
Old 08-05-2013, 10:19 PM
Sonic Mustang
Banned

This might be a stupid question but why is it called "auto tranny fluid" if it goes in both auto's and manuals?
If you don't have an owner's manual, download one. You can also find the Tremec 3650 Service Manual online. Your TR3650 manual transmission is spec'd for automatic transmission fluid.

Quick Reply: Best short throw shifter?