4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Best short throw shifter?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 08:24 AM
tj@steeda
3rd Gear Member

Or you could go with Steeda ...

"Offset-Preload" coil springs find third gear for you - so you won't miss!
Most comfortable hand position of any short throw shifter
Two position adjustable height
Shortest throw of any shifter
Smooth, confident, precise shifts
Exclusive BootGuard (prevents damage to factory rubber inner boot)
Adjustable positive stops prevent over extending the shift lever, preventing costly transmission damage
Compact tower design is easier to install
CNC machined from billet 6061 T-6 aluminum
Heavy duty construction. No welds, stampings, or castings to break
Nickel plated pivot shaft won't rust or stain
Grade 8 and stainless steel hardware
Made in the USA
Accepts factory & Steeda *****
Includes Steeda's exclusive Tri-Ax shift handle
No complicated, unnecessary adjustments unlike competitive designs
Old 08-06-2013, 09:33 AM
Grey-03-GT

Default Steeda

I agree..Steeda is solid with positive shifting..easy install about 1/2 hour..I took another inch off the threads on the stick to reduce the height....love it

Last edited by Grey-03-GT; 08-08-2013 at 06:44 AM.
Old 08-06-2013, 04:03 PM
Cbird

Originally Posted by Sonic Mustang
If you don't have an owner's manual, download one. You can also find the Tremec 3650 Service Manual online. Your TR3650 manual transmission is spec'd for automatic transmission fluid.
So what you're saying is it takes automatic tranny fluid because it takes auto tranny fluid. Really insightful...

Tracking my shifter, only a few more days until it's here!!!
Got my fluid and tools all set out. Can't wait to do this.
Old 08-06-2013, 07:28 PM
Sonic Mustang
Banned

Originally Posted by Cbird
So what you're saying is it takes automatic tranny fluid because it takes auto tranny fluid. Really insightful...

No, I'm saying It's called ATF because it's made for automatic transmissions and Tremec designed a manual to use ATF. If they called it Automatic AND MANUAL Transmission Fluid, plenty of idiots would put in in manual transmissions designed for gear oil or manual transmission fluid.
Old 08-07-2013, 05:15 AM
BaltRavens
2nd Gear Member

I have a MGW and its a good one. I am not a expert because its the only one I have ever owned. I have driven short throws before but like I said I am not expert. Still mine is so easy to use it takes a beating every now and again like a champ. I think they're bout $200 and I honestly believe its worth it.
Old 08-07-2013, 05:30 PM
Cbird

Originally Posted by Sonic Mustang
No, I'm saying It's called ATF because it's made for automatic transmissions and Tremec designed a manual to use ATF. If they called it Automatic AND MANUAL Transmission Fluid, plenty of idiots would put in in manual transmissions designed for gear oil or manual transmission fluid.
Oh ok I gotcha. Is there a benefit to using ATF? I'm just curious. I've never been one to care about cars but now that I own a car that's worth caring about this s*** is kinda cool.

Funny story, I didn't even go to the car lot to buy this car. I actually went to help my GF pick out a Hyundai. This Mustang was sitting in the back lot (the farthest back you could walk) and the salesman caught me looking at just the right time. If he didn't I never would've test drove it. I didn't even particularly like Mustang's, or anything with a V8 for that matter.

I didn't even know how to drive a manual, he had to explain it to me in an empty lot he drove me too, the rest was history. I made arrangements the next day to trade in and get this mustang. I mean, every 20 year old should have a Mustang right?

Sonic, you seem like you've been in the game for more than a while. Mind if I PM you in the future for advice and opinions on future mods and maintenance?
Old 08-07-2013, 05:54 PM
Sonic Mustang
Banned

I can't tell you the exact technical benefits of designing a manual transmission to use ATF, I do know from speaking with a Tremec engineer that various bits and pieces inside the TR3650 do not react well to anything other than ATF. I vaguely remember him mentioning synchros and brass bushings/bearings.

Actually, come to think of it, I do know why Tremec designs its manual transmissions for ATF. Auto manufacturers and dealers save a lot of money when they only have to carry one ATF. For example, the current Mercon V is used in all Ford power steering and transmission applications except for the F250 and larger truck autos.
Old 08-08-2013, 12:49 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Everyone I even known with a Tri-Ax ended up tossing it for a pro 5.0 or a MGW. Not sure about the 2650 but running manual trans fluid and synchromesh in a tremec t45 will prematurley break down the paper based liners in the trans.
Old 08-09-2013, 07:43 AM
tj@steeda
3rd Gear Member

We were just at Mustang Week and we had many consumers come up & try the Tri-Ax in the Boss or the display piece we had on hand ... several customers had the MGW in their car ... a couple of those consumers bought the Tri-Ax that week.

It comes down to personal preference ... you need to try to them before you buy them. Find a car club in the area and see what who is running what shifter and give it a try.

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 08-09-2013, 05:35 PM
supersnake67
2nd Gear Member

I just took the cheap way out and bought the hurst handle and ball and bolted it to the factory shifter base. 30 bucks to pretty much get the same result as a 200 dollar shifter. Spend the rest on other mods. I have no complaints.

Quick Reply: Best short throw shifter?