4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

2000 GT

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 05:38 PM
Cpeery

Default 2000 GT

Hello everyone this is my first mustang I have had it for about a month I've replaced the basics, timing belt, spark plugs , wires.all I know from what the guy told me he did is put a short shift in it which leads me to my first of three questions.1. I've noticed when im shifting in neutral or turning it sounds like the whole transmission is going to fall apart, like a rattle sound almost only when in neutral and turning feels fine shifting first sometimes I have to fight but normal shifting ok.2 went to replace the alternator today and the one I bought from AutoZone did not fit it was a inch to big, so I am forced to have to go to Ford for this I'm curious why it didn't fit it was the right replacement we double checked twice but it was not the size of the one I pulled out which is factory, and third I have a high squeak coming from the right front tire thought it was the hub bearing replaced it it is still there not ask the time but in and out from time to time like a high pitch squeak any comments would be appreciated Ty
Old 08-07-2013, 08:43 AM
harbre32
2nd Gear Member

You don't have a timing belt. You have a chain that doesn't need replacing. Serpentine perhaps? The squeel could be your power steering
Old 08-07-2013, 11:00 PM
Cbird

The short throw shifters have much less "padding" in them to muffle normal tranny noise. I know the stock shifter has a ton of rubber noise dampening in it. If you made a video I bet we could tell you if it's normal or not.

Rattling doesn't exactly sound normal, but it could just be normal tranny vibrations causing the noise.

I have the same squeak coming from the front right too. I notice it mostly when I accelerate in 5th gear? Is this the same for you too? If so I will try to track down the squeak in my car and relay the info back to you
Old 08-07-2013, 11:33 PM
Sonic Mustang
Banned

My Steeda Tri Ax shifter has NO rubber insulation or padding of any kind. It vibrates, heats up and transmits transmission noise into the cockpit much more than the OEM shifter. I hear noises I never heard with the stock shifter. A couple of passengers have commented about transmission noise.

The best way to judge your experience is drive similar Mustangs with aftermarket shifters. I'm pretty sure the NVH I experience is normal because I installed my Tri Ax when the car was new and the NVH hasn't gotten worse over nine years.
Old 08-08-2013, 09:53 AM
Cpeery

Originally Posted by harbre32
You don't have a timing belt. You have a chain that doesn't need replacing. Serpentine perhaps? The squeel could be your power steering
Power steering checks out, chain is new
Old 08-08-2013, 09:56 AM
Cpeery

Originally Posted by Sonic Mustang
My Steeda Tri Ax shifter has NO rubber insulation or padding of any kind. It vibrates, heats up and transmits transmission noise into the cockpit much more than the OEM shifter. I hear noises I never heard with the stock shifter. A couple of passengers have commented about transmission noise.

The best way to judge your experience is drive similar Mustangs with aftermarket shifters. I'm pretty sure the NVH I experience is normal because I installed my Tri Ax when the car was new and the NVH hasn't gotten worse over nine years.
That does make me feel better I appreciate the responses Ty
Old 08-08-2013, 09:57 AM
Cpeery

Originally Posted by Cbird
The short throw shifters have much less "padding" in them to muffle normal tranny noise. I know the stock shifter has a ton of rubber noise dampening in it. If you made a video I bet we could tell you if it's normal or not.

Rattling doesn't exactly sound normal, but it could just be normal tranny vibrations causing the noise.

I have the same squeak coming from the front right too. I notice it mostly when I accelerate in 5th gear? Is this the same for you too? If so I will try to track down the squeak in my car and relay the info back to you
no only like at slow speed the faster I go it disappears abs it's not a constant thing
Old 08-08-2013, 12:42 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Who changed the timing chains?
Old 08-08-2013, 06:43 PM
Cpeery

Dealership
Old 08-08-2013, 08:52 PM
Cbird

Originally Posted by Cpeery
no only like at slow speed the faster I go it disappears abs it's not a constant thing
Yeah mines not constant either. Seems to happen only when my pedal is pressed down just a little, like light acceleration.

I bet my car makes the sound at low speeds too, it just gets blared out by the exhaust haha

Quick Reply: 2000 GT