4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Fixing up my 2002 Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 10:43 AM
laceew45

Unhappy Fixing up my 2002 Mustang

My mustang has been wrecked twice since 2011. When I was fixing it up, I was only fixing the exterior (It has no airbags). I would like to see how much money it would take to fix the under-the-hood damage so then I can add some more details to my car (bigger exhaust pipes, some subs, interior lights, etc.).
My dad is a Mercedes mechanic and when he hooks my car up to their testers, it gives him the "problems" but he fixes those and I still have the same problems and taking it to Ford would cost me money so I was hoping that if I listed the problems here, someone could tell me what was wrong and what I need to get fixed.

These are problems I didn't have until after the first wreck:

1) When I am at a stoplight, and it turns green, and I press the gas pedal, no matter how far I press it down, the car only starts off slow. It seems like it takes forever to reach 2nd gear. (it is an automatic)

2) It jerks when I am just driving at a casual speed *(say 45).

3) It randomly dies when I am going slow. Two examples.
For Example, I was dropping my brother off for baseball practice and so I was in the parking lot, had just dropped him off and as soon as I pulled away, my car died. Since I was in drive, I had to put it in park, turn the key to off, and then I was able to restart it with no problem.
For example, I was stuck in a line to get over some railroad tracks and as soon as I got on one of the tracks, my car died. I had just pulled into that line to get over the tracks. I was probably not going more than 20 mph. I just did the same thing I did in the first example and I was able to continue on my way home. But what if there had been a train coming and my car hadn't restarted? This is the thought that was in my head as soon as I was off the track and headed home. I need to find out what is wrong so that, that won't happen. Because I will be going over those railroad tracks often this fall.

I would appreciate if y'all could help me or give me some insight into about how much it would cost to fix. Because if it is too high, I am just going to buy another mustang when I get the money.
Old 08-17-2013, 10:59 AM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Just out of curiosity , did you change the fuel filter? I don't know how hard you were hit but possibly jarred some gunk loose in the tank that was sucked up into the filter.

Or maybe the baffle in the tank got jarred loose, or something on the pump/sending unit .
Old 08-17-2013, 11:07 AM
laceew45

No, I don't think we have, I would have to ask my dad for a specific list to what we have done but I will tell my dad about that. Thank you.