4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Am i better off with Cobra or Modified 2v ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 01:54 PM
Dominasian
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by needmorespeed
This is just my opinion but the Mach 1s were just away to make money from an older motor since Ford upped the cobra in 03. Not a bad thing, and they are slightly different factory 305hp vs cobra 320hp but both 4v's. The terminators came from the factory with an iron block, I don't know if the earlier cobras came with an iron block as well.

Starting a new job I would go with the GT as well. Payments suck, with mods you can wait month to month, and you will most likely mod the cobra as well.

There is also the option of getting a new 5.0 and putting that in there. Just saying that would be pretty sweet.

What part of CO are you in? Think about that as well cause N/A is a killer up here, boosted motors don't suffer nearly as bad.
I live in Aurora. About machs, i just got some info about blowing them which is possible but not a good idea due to a compression ratio of 10:1 and a shaker that sits on top of your motor. So mach1s is a toss cause i will definitely want a blower on the car. So the options now are GTs and Cobras, maybe ill look into 3v gts. although they are more expensive in general and to modify and still wont get as much as 99-01 cobras would.

Dont give me wrong but i can possibly sell my car for 7k and add another 4 and get a 99-01 cobra but only if it will worth the money. I will keep the GT but only if i will put that 4k in the engine and it will hold more than a cobra. I've heard you can get a fully build 2v engine for 3.5k, i dont know if its true or not, so enlighten me there

Last edited by Dominasian; 08-19-2013 at 02:03 PM.
Old 08-19-2013, 03:31 PM
needmorespeed
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dominasian
I live in Aurora. About machs, i just got some info about blowing them which is possible but not a good idea due to a compression ratio of 10:1 and a shaker that sits on top of your motor. So mach1s is a toss cause i will definitely want a blower on the car. So the options now are GTs and Cobras, maybe ill look into 3v gts. although they are more expensive in general and to modify and still wont get as much as 99-01 cobras would.

Dont give me wrong but i can possibly sell my car for 7k and add another 4 and get a 99-01 cobra but only if it will worth the money. I will keep the GT but only if i will put that 4k in the engine and it will hold more than a cobra. I've heard you can get a fully build 2v engine for 3.5k, i dont know if its true or not, so enlighten me there
Just 4K into the motor you better have more than 320 at the crank. A full build for 3.5K may work, I honestly don't know. It depends on how much power you want and driveability. You could easily do cams and new heads for that. Which would probably put you around 350 - depending on the cam - at sea level. I've heard its about 3% per 1000 ft of elevation, so your mileage may vary.

BTW I am just north of Aurora out by DIA
Old 08-19-2013, 04:42 PM
school boy
5th Gear Member

Ok, there is some poor information going on here.
The 99/01 cobras are not forged, except the crank. the rods and pistons are cast which make these engines top at about 425-450 rwhp before rods start to break. The mach 1's run the same cast rods but flat top cast pistons, still break rods. The mach 1 is 10:1 compression while the cobras and gt's are 9.5:1. Also, the automatic mach's came with the cast crank while the manuals had forged cranks. Some of the cobras had the aluminum teksid blocks while others had the cast iron. The mach's had the aluminum WAP blocks. All capable of holding enough horse power for youre build. The cobra heads aren't quite as good as the mach heads but the cobras have the more aggressive factory cams. Also the cobras had the irs rear end verses the mach straight axle.
All three of the cars are capable enough to handle a supercharger up to about 425-450 rwhp before the rods start to break.
Old 08-19-2013, 05:56 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by school boy
Ok, there is some poor information going on here.
The 99/01 cobras are not forged, except the crank. the rods and pistons are cast which make these engines top at about 425-450 rwhp before rods start to break. The mach 1's run the same cast rods but flat top cast pistons, still break rods. The mach 1 is 10:1 compression while the cobras and gt's are 9.5:1. Also, the automatic mach's came with the cast crank while the manuals had forged cranks. Some of the cobras had the aluminum teksid blocks while others had the cast iron. The mach's had the aluminum WAP blocks. All capable of holding enough horse power for youre build. The cobra heads aren't quite as good as the mach heads but the cobras have the more aggressive factory cams. Also the cobras had the irs rear end verses the mach straight axle.
All three of the cars are capable enough to handle a supercharger up to about 425-450 rwhp before the rods start to break.
Thanks. I was about to poke my eyes out reading this thread.

Going from a stock-ish GT to a blown GT will be a solid first step. You don't want to jump into the deep end before you can swim.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:11 PM
DRAGUL
5th Gear Member

Like stated you should forge the motor on the 99/01 before you install the Eaton. I have read that if you do not go above 6 psi you should be ok with the stock motor. As for installing the Eaton on a 99/01, there is quite a laundry list of parts needed to do this. You would be better off buying a aftermarket kit.