4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Lost some power after wreck, any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 06:04 PM
trailor
3rd Gear Member

Default Lost some power after wreck, any ideas?

Wrecked my 02 GT in April, broke the axle on the passenger side rear wheel and broke off the rear passenger side heater hose pipe on the intake manifold, no other noticeable damage. Replaced the axle with one from a junked V6 (cleaned it with an emory cloth, inspected it for wear and damage, even had a mechanic check it out, all looks fine). Replaced the axle bearing and seal on that side only and refilled the diff with 75w-140 Mobil 1 and a bottle of friction modifier. Replaced the intake manifold with one from a junked 03 Grand Marquis (same PI manifold as a GT). Manifold seemed to be in good shape, had a little carbon build-up around the ports, but nothing too bad. Cleaned it up best I could and patched up any pitting around the aluminum crossover with JB weld. Replaced both rear rotors with new ones and replaced all brake pads. Replaced the battery with a brand new one (Autocraft Gold series) and bled the brakes twice with new DOT 5.1 fluid.

Took it for its first real test drive today after letting it idle for ten minutes. Only put water in the coolant reservoir, didn't wanna fool with flushing/filling cuz it was about to storm. Took off fine at first, then when I started toying around a bit, I noticed that it was kinda falling flat in the upper RPM's, also felt a tad shaky. Then, a couple fast starts from first were shaky. Any ideas what this could be from? I will add that I've noticed my clutch (which is stock) is squeaking a bit more. It always had a slight squeak at idle since I bought the car with 86k on it (have ~109k now), now the squeak is louder and more consistent. Shifting felt normal though, as did the pedal. Your thoughts?

Last edited by trailor; 08-19-2013 at 06:08 PM.
Old 08-19-2013, 06:25 PM
trailor
3rd Gear Member

started thinking that maybe its a misfire. I did replace one COP with one from the grand marquis since one of the COP's was replaced by the previous owner by a non-motorcraft POS (though the one off the grand marquis looked great, inspected the coil spring and everything, cleaned it of any dust before installing). also, one of the spark plugs was practically submerged in what appeared to be radiator fluid. I had got all of it out before reinstalling the COP's, though maybe its fouled?